SiouxSports.com Forum

The next coach of UND football is....

darell1976

"SiouxFootballInsider ‏@SiouxFootball 34m

Should be a new batch of HC names today. Look for one with deep UND ties. Closes tomorrow."

I bet Bubba applied today... Only one with deep UND ties I can think of that would apply

That's strange. Wayne Nelson at 1:30 today:

Wayne Nelson@waynenelsongf 11m

As of noon Monday, four new UND FB applicants received; still no local flavor #undfb

This type of defeatist thinking has to stop. FU can only hire one coach to run their program; we'll have plenty of people left to choose from. If we want to catch and overtake FU in football, we must think and behave like the championship program we want to become. It all starts between our ears.

and most importantly POCKETBOOK!!!!

• Upvote 3

This type of defeatist thinking has to stop. FU can only hire one coach to run their program; we'll have plenty of people left to choose from. If we want to catch and overtake FU in football, we must think and behave like the championship program we want to become. It all starts between our ears.

Exactly. Perception is reality, if you think UND will always be a lesser program than it shal be so. If you expect and invest in greatness you will get it.

• Upvote 2

Read what I wrote....I simply said I liked him as a coach. His teams tackle great and get to the ball quickly. It has nothing to do with NDSU. Not sure how you thought it was a defeatist attitude...simply dumb

Exactly. Perception is reality, if you think UND will always be a lesser program than it shal be so. If you expect and invest in greatness you will get it.

What are you even talking about....He is a great coordinator and was my #1 choice.....The fact he was employed by NDSU shouldn't matter

What are you even talking about....He is a great coordinator and was my #1 choice.....The fact he was employed by NDSU shouldn't matter

Again not a comment aimed at you or what you said. It is aimed at everyone who buys in to the whole 'NDSU is untouchable and UND is hapless' crap. We are a great hire away from being the best football program in the state again. They're clearly weakened big time right now and UND can overtake them if things are done right and the best guy for UND is hired.

• Upvote 2

Again not a comment aimed at you or what you said. It is aimed at everyone who buys in to the whole 'NDSU is untouchable and UND is hapless' crap. We are a great hire and 3 years away from being the best football program in the state again. They're clearly weakened big time right now and UND can overtake them if things are done right and the best guy for UND is hired.

FYP

Don't care how great the hire is, it'll take a little time.

This is true, but going from just a position coach to planning a game plan for an entire side of the ball is a big jump in and of itself. How can they handle in game adjustments, injuries, etc.....it's a big risk to hire someone who has never done that before above a high-school level....especially when that highschool level was only for 1 season. You take away his name recognition and we wouldn't even be discussing him as a viable candidate. Sometimes you have to take of the green and white blinders and select the best available candidate.

you don't think brooks has never had to handle in game adjustments? because i think the quarterback makes in game adjustments before almost every play at the NFL level..

you don't think brooks has never had to handle in game adjustments? because i think the quarterback makes in game adjustments before almost every play at the NFL level..

Of course he has but it's a bit different from a coaching level.....I just think some folks here like him because of his name and that's it, They are just trying to rationalize with his limited coaching experience. That is just my opinion. We will have many applicants who are much more qualified.

Is there some sort of requirement that there are 3 (or so) finalists? Can Faison just name the next head coach without having to narrow it down to 3 before making a decison? What did they do when they hired Brad Berry?

I don't think there's any requirement for there to be finalists. Personally, I hope Faison doesn't narrow it down to a list of finalists. I hope he has found "the guy" and acts quickly and decisively on it as soon as the law allows.

Again not a comment aimed at you or what you said. It is aimed at everyone who buys in to the whole 'NDSU is untouchable and UND is hapless' crap. We are a great hire away from being the best football program in the state again. They're clearly weakened big time right now and UND can overtake them if things are done right and the best guy for UND is hired.

There may be a step or two missing in that timeline, but I like where you are going there.

Of course he has but it's a bit different from a coaching level.....I just think some folks here like him because of his name and that's it, They are just trying to rationalize with his limited coaching experience. That is just my opinion. We will have many applicants who are much more qualified.

I agree with you that there are plenty that like him just because of his name... but i also think that a name can bring life back to a program, can be appealing to recruits, and be appealing to assistant coaches. I realize that there are coaches with a lot more experience that have applied, but with the way this program is going what happens if we hire a guy that the casual fan doesn't recognize and he doesnt produce results in the first year or two, then they continue to believe that und football will always be second to ndsu.. i realize that it is a bigger risk hiring brooks, but i think the reward with him could be greater if he does pan out. Im not saying he should be the guy for sure, but i think that he could bring some life into the program that could help sooner than later. I guess i like to believe you have to risk it to get the biscuit ;)

I agree with you that there are plenty that like him just because of his name... but i also think that a name can bring life back to a program, can be appealing to recruits, and be appealing to assistant coaches. I realize that there are coaches with a lot more experience that have applied, but with the way this program is going what happens if we hire a guy that the casual fan doesn't recognize and he doesnt produce results in the first year or two, then they continue to believe that und football will always be second to ndsu.. i realize that it is a bigger risk hiring brooks, but i think the reward with him could be greater if he does pan out. Im not saying he should be the guy for sure, but i think that he could bring some life into the program that could help sooner than later. I guess i like to believe you have to risk it to get the biscuit ;)

Look up Bart Miller the offensive line coach out of new mexico. He is the kind of risk I want to take

Pflu is only legit hire on applicant list right now. If Brooks applied this afternoon, he immediately goes to at worst #2 spot. If Tibesar applies tomorrow morning they cancel all future calls, interviews and hire him on the spot. This program needs life now, first and foremost. Brooks brings life to the program if hired, no one else on the list outside of Pflu would do that.
  • Upvote 2

So without going back through the whole thread are they going to release the list Wednesday morning?

It's been released already, I guess 4 new got added today...but they didn't even say who they were, all they said was "no local flare"...so best guess is that they are of same quality as majority already on list. Pflu hands down front runner now, according to most on here.