SiouxSports.com Forum

The next coach of UND football is....

darell1976

This list must be a joke, a teacher, a radio analyst, and high school coach are on this list. Wouldn't the writers at the Herald know more then a guy at a radio station in Fargo

Anyone can apply for the position. Doesn't mean they are being considered. Like Tom Miller said, the best applicants will come in the final days be fore Dec 10th.

This list must be a joke, a teacher, a radio analyst, and high school coach are on this list. Wouldn't the writers at the Herald know more then a guy at a radio station in Fargo

The list came from an open records request and is the actual list of candidates who have applied thus far. And because the list will continuously be requested, that is why everyone is confident the majority of serious candidates will not actually apply until very close to the position closing date.

I think some of those were their "most recent job" which would indicate they don't have a job right now. It's pretty common for people on unemployment to essentially spam government job openings that they know they won't get in order to meet the requirements to keep getting paid unemployment. I can't even find the high school coach when I do a google search so that might even just be a fake.

I had actually looked into the Marshall guy from Montana St. about a month ago when I was bored looking for potential candidates. I wouldn't mind or be surprised if he is among the list of finalists.

I'm actually surprised that people of his and Dewitt's caliber have already applied. I figured it'd all be garbage until December.

Jovan Dewitt and Jamie Marshall both look decent. It doesn't look like Dewitt has had the greatest time at FAU, but it appears he did well at UNI. He's originally from Wisconsin, played at Northern Michigan, and was a DC at Northern Iowa. Seems like he'd be able to hit our recruiting areas fairly well or at least know people who can. Huh, he also played a year for the Fargo Freeze of the Arena Football League.

RE: Jovan Dewitt

I agree. He looks to be a legitimate candidate. He was named the FAU DC in late October.

http://www.fauowlaccess.com/articles/309/new-fau-dc-dewitt-keeping-it-simple.aspx

"Our goal is to play fast, play violent, and create turnovers," DeWitt said.

http://www.fauowlaccess.com/articles/324/fau-defensive-backs-making-the-nation-take-notice.aspx

FAU's secondary is playing at an elite level - something that appeared far from certain a couple weeks ago.

RE: Jovan Dewitt

I agree. He looks to be a legitimate candidate. He was named the FAU DC in late October.

http://www.fauowlacc...-it-simple.aspx

"Our goal is to play fast, play violent, and create turnovers," DeWitt said.

http://www.fauowlacc...ake-notice.aspx

FAU's secondary is playing at an elite level - something that appeared far from certain a couple weeks ago.

He was the DC for some very good UNI teams too. The fact that he's only been in Florida for 1 year makes me think he wants to get back to the Midwest.

With the nickname and conference problems settled; Alerus and new IPF; fan support if they put out a good product and nowhere to go but up – what open FCS position would be more attractive?

not many jobs have opened up so far. James Madison would be one.

Lots of places have nice facilities at this level.

McFeeley said today, Why would anyone want the UND job? What does everyone think about that statement?

No, Mike, the list of candidates won't get any better. Maybe McFeely is posting on this board. Cute that he is showing so much interest in UND. Is Bohl still not talking to him?

It will take $200k to get FBS asst. Bollinger is position coach likely $175k or a little higher. Other big time programs similar. I haven't heard he would apply but would be a top candidate. He is well known, highly respected, is a winner, a leader and very bright. He knows talent and what it takes to win at FBS and NFL level. He is organized and charismatic. He knows Wisconsin, Minn and Dakotas. He also knows other areas of country. He played in NY, Minn, Texas and Florida. He has a name with marketing benefit. He can lead and motivate. These guys can all coach. The guy that can sell Sioux fb to alumni, students the area as well as recruits is more attractive than someone who won at lower level. I'm not saying he is only guy or even top guy but he would be a finalist on anyone's list who wants present players to stay at und instead of leave and would have instant credibility with area coaches and students. He is one of those guys you enjoy being around and would go to war with. Kids usually will play for those guys.

• Upvote 3

Anyone can apply for the position. Doesn't mean they are being considered. Like Tom Miller said, the best applicants will come in the final days be fore Dec 10th.

The best candidates likely have agents who manage their applications. The candidates so far probably have no agent or no one handling their affairs. The "head hunter" candidates normally apply just before the deadline, to minimize the effect on their current job.

I'm going to go way, way out on a limb :silly: and say that none of these people are going to be UND's next coach, but in case you want to know who actually has applied so far, here's the list: http://kfgo.com/blog...d-coaching-job/

Thanks UND92,96. Agree that it's not much of a list for finalists, but interesting to see who has applied early.

On the other hand, Jamie Marshall is a very interesting possibility. Montana State has had a good defense, but the amazing thing is the 10th place FCS defenses he had at Drake.

I want a winning coach...that's a much better way to "sell the program" to alumni and students.

I want a winning program and winning teams. If I'm interviewing and you don't understand what the campus environment, alumni support, student involvement, uniforms etc. do for your program you aren't going to be successful. This isn't high school or NAIA. A number of successful college coaches complain about how much time that takes but also how important it is. You need to understand marketing, social media and diversity. Lou Saban brought in a consulting firm to Alabama when he got there. One of most important things he said they did was hire a female staff member cuz of the number of kids who had not had male authority figures in their lives this lady prevented a lot of problems. There is so much more to college coaching than many think. For those who want someone to be an in your face screamer I would remind u that so much of coaching is teaching, mentoring and motivating. If you are any good you shouldn't need to regress to that style. Your players need to play for you cuz they respect you and trust you not cuz they are afraid of getting yelled at.

• Upvote 2

And brooks Doesn't have any of that experience....although a year or two of head coaching high school?....his greatest asset to UND fans..."we know who he is."

Not one person would be mentioning him if he wasn't from gf....numerous other coaches have the same or better credentials.

• Upvote 3