SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey 2013-2014 (Non-UND hockey)

Snake

Playing around on the PWR Predictor, I'm still finding a few scenarios where Michigan gets into the tourney.

Seems like if UND wins one game, they seem to fall around #13 overall...doesn't seem to matter which game they win.

If they win both, they look to move up around #11 overall.

If they win neither, right around #17 or so.

I know everyone is bashing the attendance at the B1G tourney, but the games not including UND, could possibly be the same ordeal.

For me, it's not because I think they'll stink compared to the NCHC. I just think it stinks compared to the wonderful thing that was the WCHA Final Five.

Penn State started the avalanche that resulted in the demise of the WCHA, at least they made up 1 small bit to me by beating Michigan yesterday.

Drove by the Xcel yesterday and you would not know there was a tourney going on in that town. Gopher fans only go to gopher games but I guess that makes sense if they don't need to travel. Just seems that Sioux fans go watch no matter what and even if we had not made our tourney, I know that numbers would still be there from our team.

• Upvote 1

Drove by the Xcel yesterday and you would not know there was a tourney going on in that town. Gopher fans only go to gopher games but I guess that makes sense if they don't need to travel. Just seems that Sioux fans go watch no matter what and even if we had not made our tourney, I know that numbers would still be there from our team.

I can recall a Subway Classic game involving Wayne State and Findlay that drew maybe 100 people only a couple of hours before UND took the ice in front of about 9,000 more than that..

I can recall a Subway Classic game involving Wayne State and Findlay that drew maybe 100 people only a couple of hours before UND took the ice in front of about 9,000 more than that..

Denver and Western Michigan are not Wayne State and Findlay. UND fans are more likely to care about teams that they've heard of before, even more so teams that are fighting for the conference title with them.

I believe I have all these channels on my Midco cable (with sports package):

All times Central (and who UND fans should cheer for in CAPS)

1:00 pm FSN Bowling Green v MSU-Mankato (cheer for Ferris State)

2:00 pm BTN Penn St v WISCONSIN

3:07 pm FCS Cornell v UNION

4:00 pm NBCSN NOTRE DAME v UM LOWELL (anyone but New Hampshire)

4:00 pm CBSSN Denver v Western Michigan

6:07 pm FSN Alaska-Anchorage v FERRIS STATE

6:37 pm FCS QUINNIPIAC v Colgate

7:00 pm BTN Ohio State v MINNESOTA

7:00 pm NBCSN New Hampshire v PROVIDENCE

7:30 pm CBSSN Miami v NORTH DAKOTA

FSN - Fox Sports North, formerly the "all Goophies, all the time" channel

BTN - Big (can't count to twelve) Ten Network

FCS - Fox College Sports (nation feed)

NBCSN - aka Notredame Broadcasting Company's Sports Network

CBSSN - The NCHC network ;)

• Upvote 1

I think the difference is the "make a weekend trip of it" factor. UND fans come down usually for the whole weekend and have tickets, so they'll go to a hockey game. Minnesota fans are local and most likely working during the Thursday. I honestly think it would be similar if a tourney was in Grand Forks and North Dakota wasn't playing until Friday night. The Thursday night game would get more people than at Xcel, but I'd be surprised if any Thursday afternoon local game not involving your team would be heavily attended.

I was a little shocked that the OSU/MSU game didn't have some more people. Not like a sellout or even half full in the lower bowl, but at least a few more people not dressed like dark green seats. I do think over time, PSU will develop a following. Michigan has a few hardcores and mostly bandwagon. MSU is a basketball school that cares some; OSU is a football school that doesn't care at all. Wisconsin isn't even as hardcore as they were 10-15 years ago. I think over time, what the Big Ten would hope for is the local alumni bases to build a following. MSU & OSU have them in the Twin Cities; just have to start caring.

It will never be what Minnesota & North Dakota had, but over time, I think yesterday will be just looked at as a bad day. The Final Five was a unique event that was pretty much foolproof; enough local teams that one of them would always be there, usually most of them there, and good alumni bases for half of the conference. Asking any conference tournament to duplicate what the F5 had is pretty much an impossible task.

No. He's explaining why neither Bowling Green nor MSU-M are capitalized as the "team to cheer for". Because the only team we care about winning the WCHA is Ferris State.

I think we actually want Bowling Green to win this one, as long as Ferris wins the whole thing.

I hope everyone in every other conference underestimates us...I think we can surprise people.

Solid d play

Zane has huge upside in net

Mac, Parks, and Jewels are effective and add a little razzle dazzle, speed, and net front and boards presence

Grimaldi can explode

Pattyn, Gaarder, and Rodwell are just hard to play against

This is not the most talented Sioux team, but it might have a run in the tank

First off, I really really hope your right, because we could sure some consistent production from that line; but, what in the last 2+ years truely gives us any real reason to believe that Grimaldi is capable of exploding. We have all been saying that since he arrived at UND and we are still waiting. It's beginning to look like either the huge expections have weighed negatively on him or we just seriously over evaluated his possible impact. What do you think?

First off, I really really hope your right, because we could sure some consistent production from that line; but, what in the last 2+ years truely gives us any real reason to believe that Grimaldi is capable of exploding. We have all been saying that since he arrived at UND and we are still waiting. It's beginning to look like either the huge expections have weighed negatively on him or we just seriously over evaluated his possible impact. What do you think?

From an outsiders perspective Im very surprised he hasn't put up more points. Last year at Mariucci he may have been the best player on the ice for both teams all weekend, he impressed me a lot. His hands are sick.

From an outsiders perspective Im very surprised he hasn't put up more points. Last year at Mariucci he may have been the best player on the ice for both teams all weekend, he impressed me a lot. His hands are sick.

Yeah, it was one jailbreak after another during the Saturday game and he was definitely leading the charge.

I agree he has tremendous work ethic, skills, etc., and he hasn't been awful. I just can't figure out why he hasn't had more of a points impact. I don't know if its incompatible linemates, systems, bad luck or whatever, but, I did think his impact would have been more significant. Hope it starts this weekend.