SiouxSports.com Forum

FCS Football vs NCAA Hockey

Blackheart

Yep. Been to a DIVISION ONE HOCKEY GAME in Colorado Springs. Air Force vs. Mankato. Half empty arena.

A.) Show me where anyone said NDSU gets 10,000 at every away game.

B.) Watch the FCS title game....probably 13-15,000 of those were Bison fans....15 hours from Fargo. 3 hours from enemy territory. Essentially an away game.

One game you had a bunch of fans travel and that makes ndsu fans the best traveling fans in the state? Go ahead and keep beating your chest if it makes you feel better.

I have seen a lot of ridiculous comments on various message boards coming from the fans of the AG school; oh let’s just say the one that's about 75 miles south of here just off of I29 by the Hector International Airport... You know the school; it’s the one with the ugly colors that resemble the Green Bay Packers. Seriously, I am not lying and making it up, I have seen some the most moronic and buffoonish comments coming from their fan-base. God love them. Some of these great fans, they really are, they’re just misguided, actually think that NDSU could compete with the FBS schools and that they should just go ahead and just join the FBS now. Yep, it’s true…

I think NDSU should make the move to FBS as well. I'm not delusional enough to think they'd be day one contenders for a national title, in fact they may never win another if they do move up, I just think that they could be competitive in their respective conference that they could get in to (and I know it won't be one of the 5 power conferences) but I honestly believe the top 5 conferences are going to break away from the ncaa for football (or create a new division) eventually anyway. Might as well be prepared to be in the 2nd tier and be geared up for it before that all happens. Better to be proactive than reactive.

Fact: NDSU has won the top tier ncaa football tournament the past two years. Another fact: in doing so they had to beat a few teams in the post season and not have a computer decide who is #1 and 2 and match them up against each other for one game after having 1 month to prepare for each other. Fact: NDSU beat the team that lit up the big fluffy the past two years and could easily argue that they are the big sky champions (shsu could argue that). Fact: UND failed to even make the post season last year. Fact: I like pulling out random facts as I'm sure hayduke is getting ready to copy/paste the same statement he's made every time someone irritates him.

I won't crap on UND for not making the playoffs. Took NDSU a couple tries to get it right so it wouldn't seem fair to hate. That said, SDSU made it before NDSU did and well....no big deal.

I will poke fun at the conference UND is in as a result of SHSU winning the Big Sky title the past couple seasons.

One game you had a bunch of fans travel and that makes ndsu fans the best traveling fans in the state? Go ahead and keep beating your chest if it makes you feel better.

One game? 3 times we played MN and the first two we had over 20-25k. 2 - NC games were well attendented 12-15k. All the away games in the MVFC have a large following. Remember last year in Sioux Falls playing USD. We had more fans than the home team. SDSU is another game we have thousands go but is limited by their seating. Best traveled - no question, not even close.

Yep. Been to a DIVISION ONE HOCKEY GAME in Colorado Springs. Air Force vs. Mankato. Half empty arena.

A.) Show me where anyone said NDSU gets 10,000 at every away game.

B.) Watch the FCS title game....probably 13-15,000 of those were Bison fans....15 hours from Fargo. 3 hours from enemy territory. Essentially an away game.

Your NDSU representative and president of Bisonation....Lakes!!

Fact: NDSU has won the top tier ncaa football tournament the past two years. Another fact: in doing so they had to beat a few teams in the post season and not have a computer decide who is #1 and 2 and match them up against each other for one game after having 1 month to prepare for each other. Fact: NDSU beat the team that lit up the big fluffy the past two years and could easily argue that they are the big sky champions (shsu could argue that). Fact: UND failed to even make the post season last year. Fact: I like pulling out random facts as I'm sure hayduke is getting ready to copy/paste the same statement he's made every time someone irritates him.

This is what you guys are starting to sound like:

I still contend that college hockey is where you go if you aren't good enough to play at the highest levels right out of high school and therefore is the 2nd choice for pre-NHL athletics. Both the fcs and Ncaa produce approximately the same percentage of top tier athletes. I don't think anyone is saying fcs=fbs, though the premier athletes at both levels are very very good and sometimes the best athlete ends up @ the lower tier. Having said that I truly believe ndsu the past few years would have likely had a winning record in both the big 12 and big10 and would have likely won a couple bowl games in the process. Beat Alabama? Not likely. Won the national championship... even less likely.

Ncaa hockey and fcs play at similar levels vs what is available pre-professional in their respective sports.

:silly:

I still contend that college hockey is where you go if you aren't good enough to play at the highest levels right out of high school and therefore is the 2nd choice for pre-NHL athletics. Both the fcs and Ncaa produce approximately the same percentage of top tier athletes. I don't think anyone is saying fcs=fbs, though the premier athletes at both levels are very very good and sometimes the best athlete ends up @ the lower tier. Having said that I truly believe ndsu the past few years would have likely had a winning record in both the big 12 and big10 and would have likely won a couple bowl games in the process. Beat Alabama? Not likely. Won the national championship... even less likely.

Ncaa hockey and fcs play at similar levels vs what is available pre-professional in their respective sports.

Not likely, huh? So your thinking you have a chance vs. Bama, not likely to win, but a chance. Got it.

Also, you like your chances in the Big 10 and Big 12 using your offense that runs power and jet sweeps all game. Good luck with that. :silly: It works at FCS because you have better players than most everyone else.

Not likely, huh? So your thinking you have a chance vs. Bama, not likely to win, but a chance. Got it.

Also, you like your chances in the Big 10 and Big 12 using your offense that runs power and jet sweeps all game. Good luck with that. :silly: It works at FCS because you have better players than most everyone else.

Power offense can work in the Big 12. B1G, less likely for NDSU to have success.

Power offense can work in the Big 12. B1G, less likely for NDSU to have success.

Right. What happens when your behind 14-0 before you blink? Run off tackle until your back in it? There is a reason why there are not many power-football grind it out teams in the Big 12. You need to be able to keep up, if need be. Like it's been stated before, NDSU has never played a power team from a major conference so there is no way of knowing. The closest they have ever gotten is Iowa State and they lost.

They've been giving Kansas State a lot of bulletin board material. As if they even need it.

The delusional Kool-Aid drinking fools actually believe they'd have a winning record in the Big 12 and Big 10?

They are as stupid as the day is long.

Obesity, alcoholism and low IQ levels seems to be their contribution to North Dakota. Did the University of Agriculture and Applied Sciences change their mission statement?

Winning record in the Big 12 and Big 10?? What 7 teams in the B1G and what 7 teams in the BIg 12 would you beat? Not every team is Kansas and Minnesota, plus you do have to play on the road (not like Nebraska or Wisconsin wouldn't crush you in the Fargodome anyway).

Winning record in the Big 12 and Big 10?? What 7 teams in the B1G and what 7 teams in the BIg 12 would you beat? Not every team is Kansas and Minnesota, plus you do have to play on the road (not like Nebraska or Wisconsin wouldn't crush you in the Fargodome anyway).

They'll sober up and put down the greasy burgers after the Kansas State game.

It still won't help their IQ level...but they need to take baby steps back to reality..

Roll Tide.

Right. What happens when your behind 14-0 before you blink? Run off tackle until your back in it? There is a reason why there are not many power-football grind it out teams in the Big 12. You need to be able to keep up, if need be. Like it's been stated before, NDSU has never played a power team from a major conference so there is no way of knowing. The closest they have ever gotten is Iowa State and they lost.

Power running and defense is the only formula for winning football that has always worked. Should only ever throw the football to keep the defense honest.

Ok.... I gotta step back from my big 12/10 statement. Big 12 we MIGHT have had a chance of having a winning record, B1G not as much. My comment was admittedly made to provoke some responses but was an absurd statement. I therefore retract what I stated. It was absurd and not based entirely on reality... but more on emotion. In hindsight I can't believe I actually typed it. Oops.

As for my "Beat Alabama: Not likely" yes, I stand by that statement. The odds are VERY tiny that we could have. No doubt at all. Out of 1000 games they would likely beat us 999 of them if not all 1000. However, I've seen crazy things happen in football at all levels. Sometimes the little guy comes out on top over a much better team (which Alabama is) for a multitude of reasons. The odds are extremely low, but sometimes you get lucky. Plain and simple. Having said that I'd love to have seen them play each other after each won the national championship at their respective levels, even knowing that NDSU would almost certainly lose (again, barring extreme luck).

EDIT: I deserve all the bashing I got on the big 12/10 comment btw.

Und hockey could compete with and beat any team at a similar level as them whether it is NCAA d1, Canadian college, or chl. Ndsu football cannot compete against even average fbs teams....this will be proven in the Kansas st game.

The only problem with your statement is that only one of our teams has a chance to prove it. I'm NOT guaranteeing a victory in Manhattan but I won't be shocked by one either.

This ought to be a good answer from the NDSU fans. :)

Ok.... I gotta step back from my big 12/10 statement. Big 12 we MIGHT have had a chance of having a winning record, B1G not as much. My comment was admittedly made to provoke some responses but was an absurd statement. I therefore retract what I stated. It was absurd and not based entirely on reality... but more on emotion. In hindsight I can't believe I actually typed it. Oops.

As for my "Beat Alabama: Not likely" yes, I stand by that statement. The odds are VERY tiny that we could have. No doubt at all. Out of 1000 games they would likely beat us 999 of them if not all 1000. However, I've seen crazy things happen in football at all levels. Sometimes the little guy comes out on top over a much better team (which Alabama is) for a multitude of reasons. The odds are extremely low, but sometimes you get lucky. Plain and simple. Having said that I'd love to have seen them play each other after each won the national championship at their respective levels, even knowing that NDSU would almost certainly lose (again, barring extreme luck).

EDIT: I deserve all the bashing I got on the big 12/10 comment btw.

I'll give you this, you guys would do some damage in C-USA and maybe win the Sun Belt outright.