SiouxSports.com Forum

Fall Camp 2013

geaux_sioux

Good. They needed some fresh new coaching blood there. Hopefully he can get some athletes to work with soon.

And also, after checking facebook again it says he studied education/coaching at UND not that he's coaching at UND.... good for Central.

Central hasn't been good for a while and needs something (or someone) to get that team back to the top of the EDC ( and to kill Red River!!).

Well, now that fall camp is in progress. I thought that I had better get my act together. So, I have got 10 lbs of ribs with a new dry rub in the frig waiting for a long slow cook tomorrow. Of course I have some beer ready to go also, got to get my game day routine ready to go.

Snuck outside today and caught the last half of practice, mainly all of the live drills they did today. I tried to get as much as I could down while the plays happened, and while I don't have the greatest mind for football, here were the things that went down. Instead of focusing on every little thing possible, I tried to focus on a couple of areas.

-The live session was focused on drives where the offense tried to score a TD.

-There were 6 drives in all today, each QB got one and one of the freshman (Palendech) got the honors of a second drive.

-Out of the 6 drives today, 1 was a touchdown, 2 were stopped after a missed 3rd down (would have resulted in FGs), 1 was a 3 and out, and 2 ended in interceptions.

Now for the specifics

1st drive

-Mollberg got the first crack and drove the ball down the field, mainly behind the legs of Jake Miller, who broke a couple of nice runs.

-Defense did their best to keep the run game in check once they got down to the red zone.

-On 3rd down, Mollberg attempted his one and only pass, which was a good thrown ball to Golliday, which he caught for a TD. Golliday just outmuscled and outworked the corner to get the ball, but the corner (I forget the number) did his very best to knock the ball out of his hands.

2nd drive

-Hanson was next to step up

-Jer almost broke one the first play of the drive, he make a nice cut back and had the open field. Kolonwalski however make a shoestring tackle to save the touchdown.

-The D then toughed up the next 2 plays, stopping the run

-Best play of the day by the D when a Hanson overthrown lead to Kuksa getting the pick. He extended his hand to tip then pick the ball off.

3rd drive

-Palendech led the offense next and on the first play ran some read option and just about broke one down the left hand side of the field. Another great tackle by Kolonwalski saved the day for the D.

-After which, the D shut down the run game. Sparks got a few carries and just plowed through the middle of the field and picked up some nice yardage, the O didn't pick up the 3rd and short. Would have resulted in a FG in real time

4th drive

-Bartles finally got his chance here

-They once again ran some read option but this was the worst offensive series of the day. It resulted in a 3 and out and Bartles badly overthrew the ball on 3rd down. He was however on the run, which was flushed out by the D

5th drive

-Riddle was the last to go and he looked effiecient, he kept a lot of plays alive with his legs and made a nice throw to Carr, he kept one drive alive with this legs as well. The D once again prevented a score and did a much better job containing the QB and the run game, but would have resulted in a FG in real time.

Last drive

-Palendech got the honors of the 2nd drive and let Varner snap off a nice run and the O was on the drive once again. Disterhaupt showed some good hands at WR and Ivery make a very good tackle to stop him right where he was. Palendech's ended on a sour note when on an attempted fade on 3rd down, he underthrew and Ivery had an easy pick which he returned to about mid-field.

Final Thoughts:

-Based off the live drills, Mollberg won the day in the QB battle, with Palendech not too far behind. Was impressed with Kurt today as well as Riddle.

-Good to be Miller snap off some long runs, the run game looked decent for a change. Jer and Kodee didn't look too bad as well

-The Defense did have its moments and in my eyes do look to be improved from last year. The tackling looks way better than it was last year. The runs were mainly on good plays by the offense and not a whole lot of missed tackles.

-I fully believe in the Golliday hype machine

-I hope Kuska gets his shirt lifted, he is the ball hawking safety we need.

-Ivery is going to be a nice player in the secondary

Thanks much for taking the time to pass along your observations. I see no mention of Shaugabay in your summary. Did he not play or did he just not stand out during the time that you observed?

i know you need to have two qb's ready but we are days away from the home opener and i think muss just needs to say joe its your team and have him take 90% of the reps in practice from today on out barring any injury let him run with it hopefully for the next three years (joe leaves for the nfl (first round) after his junior year after beating the ndac in the national title game).

i know you need to have two qb's ready but we are days away from the home opener and i think muss just needs to say joe its your team and have him take 90% of the reps in practice from today on out barring any injury let him run with it hopefully for the next three years (joe leaves for the nfl (first round) after his junior year after beating the ndac in the national title game).

I'm guessing we won't have a full decision until Potato Bowl week. Normally I think they'd announce the starter by game week (one week from today) but with a weak first opponent I think they'll use that as an extension of the fall camp quarterback battle. I expect both Mollberg and Bartels will get plenty of reps against Valpo then we'll go into the SDSU game with a clear starter.

I'm liking the sounds of the two true freshman QB's taking reps and having success. It's great to have younger guys in there looking to push those ahead of them. I know Mollberg and Bartels are pushing each other, but it's also good to have the younger guys push as well.

• Upvote 1

Muss was on the radio with Tim and Swyg again this morning (sounds like he will be on every Monday morning). He said that they expect to have their depth chart complete by the end of this week, including at QB. But they may not make all decisions public so that they keep the competition going.

Muss was on the radio with Tim and Swyg again this morning (sounds like he will be on every Monday morning). He said that they expect to have their depth chart complete by the end of this week, including at QB. But they may not make all decisions public so that they keep the competition going.

Sounds about right. Let the team know who's got the lead after fall camp and use Valpo as a final audition.

Mollberg has been performing better in practice and he's the local kid - just give him the reins and move forward! Using the first game as an audition is very unconventional. Mollberg should get the opportunity to prepare for a game as the starter before going into the SDSU week. The more this QB situation goes in circles and no decision is made, the more I worry the SDSU game could be an ugly one.

• Upvote 3

Mollberg has been performing better in practice and he's the local kid - just give him the reins and move forward! Using the first game as an audition is very unconventional. Mollberg should get the opportunity to prepare for a game as the starter before going into the SDSU week. The more this QB situation goes in circles and no decision is made, the more I worry the SDSU game could be an ugly one.

Yes, we absolutely need to pick a starter and run with it. My gut tells me Molberg but really I don't care because I have confidence the coaches will go with whoever they fell can win them games or simply manage the game and let they players around them make plays.

None of the QB by committee stuff...pick one this week and let them run with it.

I guess I'm in the minority, but I doubt they will know which of the 2 QBs is "the guy" until after a couple of games - and maybe more. Their skills and abilities in practice don't always translate real well when they are running for their life and getting slammed by the opposition for real. Sometimes the only way to see who has the best poise and game sense is in real games--- and even then we have to be ready to accept some youthful mistakes along with the great plays.

Also, I don't think any coach wants to have the famous QB by committee situation. It's easy as a fan to say we don't want that QB by committee stuff. But, with 3 redshirt freshman qb's and a revamped OL, the BSC teams are going to throw a lot of pressure and different looks on our QBs. Keeping one of the young, inexperienced QBs healthy all year under those conditions may be tough. I hope they both play the first few games - and I hope they both look great. But, It won't surprise me if we get down to QB No. 3 at some point for a variety of reasons, most likely health.

Cannot wait for next Thursday.............Go Sioux!

If Molberg is clearly "the guy" ink him in as the starter for Valpo and SDSU. Having him know that he is going to start both games and be the starter for the season will give him the confidence and mindset to be prepared for those games. If after 2 weeks he struggles, then give Bartels the ball. But picking the starter this week into the Valpo game is the right move IMO.

If Molberg is clearly "the guy" ink him in as the starter for Valpo and SDSU. Having him know that he is going to start both games and be the starter for the season will give him the confidence and mindset to be prepared for those games. If after 2 weeks he struggles, then give Bartels the ball. But picking the starter this week into the Valpo game is the right move IMO.

Agreed.

Whoever may win the job needs to have some time to settle in and start learning how to lead a team and take command of the offense and the huddle - the sooner the better.

Doesn't have to be permanent, but just give them the opportunity to be 'the guy' and adjust from there. I do not agree with the QB by committee approach.

The coaches will have had approximately 35-40 practices between spring ball and fall camp to decide. I hope an announcement is made by the end of this week.

Excited as hell for this season to start.

I wholeheartedly disagree with this. If a starter is named he should only be displaced because of injury. If the staff isn't confident in a quarterback choice by the end of this week they should let them know that the competition is still open regardless of who "starts" the Valpo game. If they tell Joe he's the starter and then pull him after a few games it could be devastating to his confidence, especially in just his 2nd year in the program. The staff shouldn't name a starter until they are sure of their choice and if it takes until after the Valpo game to do it then so be it but they shouldn't take the risk of scarring one of these guys when they could both potentially have bright futures with the program.

I wholeheartedly disagree with this. If a starter is named he should only be displaced because of injury. If the staff isn't confident in a quarterback choice by the end of this week they should let them know that the competition is still open regardless of who "starts" the Valpo game. If they tell Joe he's the starter and then pull him after a few games it could be devastating to his confidence, especially in just his 2nd year in the program. The staff shouldn't name a starter until they are sure of their choice and if it takes until after the Valpo game to do it then so be it but they shouldn't take the risk of scarring one of these guys when they could both potentially have bright futures with the program.

I agree that you can't give up on a guy after a couple bad throws, but you also can't chain yourself to a guy like the coaches did in 2010 with Bradley when he was the worst QB I've ever seen at UND and it took over half a season to pull him out of there. Either way both will play in the first game.

I agree that you can't give up on a guy after a couple bad throws, but you also can't chain yourself to a guy like the coaches did in 2010 with Bradley when he was the worst QB I've ever seen at UND and it took over half a season to pull him out of there. Either way both will play in the first game.

Right. If it's a complete disaster you can pull the plug but I don't expect that to be the case.

Both candidates are freshmen that have never played a meaningful down in this league. How can you possibly give either guy that that kind of responsibility with such a small sample?

That's way too much rope IMHO.

• Upvote 1

Yes, we absolutely need to pick a starter and run with it. My gut tells me Molberg but really I don't care because I have confidence the coaches will go with whoever they feel can win them games or simply manage the game and let they players around them make plays.

None of the QB by committee stuff...pick one this week and let them run with it.

Unfortunately, based on past experience with this head coach (EWU), that may result in QB by committee..... ???

I'm hearing that FB Dustin Iverson is having his red shirt pulled. Anyone hear about any others yet?

Have not heard that. He is a big kid and a good athlete which is nice to have at FB. I've also heard that Pecosky has been a beast at FB which gives me pause about Iverson getting his shirt pulled.