SiouxSports.com Forum

Goon

I don't mind the bison trolls. All of them that come here just continue to show the little man syndrome that many of their fan base has. At the same time they usually claim they don't consider und a rival and yada Yada Yada....yet they continue to come here to defend the honor of ndsu and show their little man syndrome.

Can't say this too many times.....

They seem to be getting restless in fargo again.  Some housecleaning may be in order as it'd be a shame for this site to go the way of AGS aka bisonswille 2.0.

Short list includes jheria (should have been done a LONG time ago), mj23 (kill it quickly before it grows), and DI in Fargo.  Mods, I'm not including any posters who have ever contributed anything even remotely valid to the site (johnboy, tjamz, wyobison, etc.), simply identifying the trolls for you.

It's pretty obvious when even other bison fans are calling these kids out as trolls.  Also, add 2011bisonalumni and the phoenix to the black list.

Answer this mods...instead of getting rid of the trolls you close one thread after another only to have the same discussion bleed into other threads. Can you imagine how many more trolls will come over here when the Bisons-UND football game gets closer and closer? Close the trolls not the threads.

If UND fans could refrain from mentioning NDSU in threads that do not specifically address NDSU, I suspect it would make it easier for the mods to identify trolls and take action.  The problem often arises in threads where a UND fan (I won't name names) compares something to NDSU, and that gives license for NDSU fans to jump in and hi-jack the thread.  And NDSU fans are more than happy to do it.  If NDSU is not mentioned in the thread and an NDSU troll jumps in and starts smacking, then it would be easier and more justifiable for the mods to take action against that poster.  

I usually don't mind some of the trolls because I don't take them seriously, but sometimes I do think this board is too lax.  I'd like to see the mods get a little bit stricter while still preserving the character of this forum.  I think UND fans can help that process by not obsessively mentioning NDSU all the time.

• Upvote 3

Answer this mods...instead of getting rid of the trolls you close one thread after another only to have the same discussion bleed into other threads. Can you imagine how many more trolls will come over here when the Bisons-UND football game gets closer and closer? Close the trolls not the threads.

How hard can this be?  Very disappointed with this board.

If UND fans could refrain from mentioning NDSU in threads that do not specifically address NDSU, I suspect it would make it easier for the mods to identify trolls and take action. The problem often arises in threads where a UND fan (I won't name names) compares something to NDSU, and that gives license for NDSU fans to jump in and hi-jack the thread. And NDSU fans are more than happy to do it. If NDSU is not mentioned in the thread and an NDSU troll jumps in and starts smacking, then it would be easier and more justifiable for the mods to take action against that poster.

I usually don't mind some of the trolls because I don't take them seriously, but sometimes I do think this board is too lax. I'd like to see the mods get a little bit stricter while still preserving the character of this forum. I think UND fans can help that process by not obsessively mentioning NDSU all the time.

When Bison fans are calling other Bison fans trolls on this board it's not hard to identify one. Mods are dropping the ball.

When Bison fans are calling other Bison fans trolls on this board it's not hard to identify one. Mods are dropping the ball.

I know.  There are easily 3-4 posters that should have been eliminated long ago.  I'm just saying that, given the lax standards on this forum, you can help by not inviting them into threads that don't relate to NDSU.  If the thread is specifically about NDSU, then it's a given that it will be a trainwreck.  There's nothing that can be done about those, but we at least can try to keep the non-NDSU threads clean. 

I know.  There are easily 3-4 posters that should have been eliminated long ago.  I'm just saying that, given the lax standards on this forum, you can help by not inviting them into threads that don't relate to NDSU.  If the thread is specifically about NDSU, then it's a given that it will be a trainwreck.  There's nothing that can be done about those, but we at least can try to keep the non-NDSU threads clean. 

Geaux Sioux just created another UND-NDSU thread, a non-smack thread nonetheless. Because that thread won't attract any trolls. :silly:

If UND fans could refrain from mentioning NDSU in threads that do not specifically address NDSU, I suspect it would make it easier for the mods to identify trolls and take action.  The problem often arises in threads where a UND fan (I won't name names) compares something to NDSU, and that gives license for NDSU fans to jump in and hi-jack the thread.  And NDSU fans are more than happy to do it.  If NDSU is not mentioned in the thread and an NDSU troll jumps in and starts smacking, then it would be easier and more justifiable for the mods to take action against that poster. 

I think this describes the mods' challenge well. If someone comes into random UND threads just to taunt, it's obvious and we take care of it quickly. But if they participate on topic in an existing discussion (e.g. about NDSU) but have an unpopular opinion, they get a lot more leeway because they are participating in the conversation. That said, there's some threshold beyond which we don't want to be welcoming to a person who is just here to annoy other people. That line is very subjective and people are bound to disagree on where it is, so the mods move a lot more slowly in trying to make sure they agree and get those calls right.

A few more random thoughts in response to some of the discussion over the last page or so:

• I agree that there has been a noticeable uptick in trolling from NDSU fans this year relative to past years. That might also contribute to why the response has been a little slower than some of you might have liked.
  • Your reports and these discussions do matter, and moderation is occurring. There have been something like a dozen reports, multiple deleted posts, multiple closed threads, multiple warnings issued, multiple suspensions, and at least one ban in the last few weeks. 
  • I know no one likes it, but closing threads actually does seem to work. When a thread goes off the rails and a mod goes in and says "please get back on topic", someone (often even a poster in good standing) can't resist trying to get in the last word and the off-topic discussion keeps going. When threads are closed the legitimate discussion resumes in a different place, but the off-topic stuff usually seems not to follow.
  • Yes, a UND/NDSU game thread is going to contain some smack. We'll try hard not to let it bleed into other areas.

I would say that you could use the report option and report the miscreants.

The sooner the miscreants are reported, the sooner the miscreants can be banned. We certainly don't need more miscreants on the board - there are already enough miscreats here to go around. Down with the miscreants!
  • Upvote 1

The sooner the miscreants are reported, the sooner the miscreants can be banned. We certainly don't need more miscreants on the board - there are already enough miscreants here to go around. Down with the miscreants!

I agree, time for the mods to ban the Malcontents and Miscreants. 

• I know no one likes it, but closing threads actually does seem to work. When a thread goes off the rails and a mod goes in and says "please get back on topic", someone (often even a poster in good standing) can't resist trying to get in the last word and the off-topic discussion keeps going. When threads are closed the legitimate discussion resumes in a different place, but the off-topic stuff usually seems not to follow.

I have a theory that some of this is due to the fact that people have a knee-jerk reaction to something they see and choose to respond immediately, rather than read through the entire thread (which likely includes a moderator warning) before chiming in.

• 1 month later...

Is this a fan forum for UND supporters?  I realize gfhockey is annoying at times, but how does he get suspended/banned while the bizun trolls continue to infect and destroy threads?  I see it's spawning season for them as well.... add nosidel to the list.

• Upvote 3

Is this a fan forum for UND supporters?  I realize gfhockey is annoying at times, but how does he get suspended/banned while the bizun trolls continue to infect and destroy threads?  I see it's spawning season for them as well.... add nosidel to the list.

Agreed.  gfhockey adds a different dimension to the forum.  And the more variety of people on here, the better.

• Upvote 2

I would rather have gfhockey on Sioux Sports than the annoying Bison Trolls who are here only to inflame and beat their chests about their mighty football team. 

• 10 months later...

They seem to be getting restless in fargo again.  Some housecleaning may be in order as it'd be a shame for this site to go the way of AGS aka bisonswille 2.0.

Short list includes jheria (should have been done a LONG time ago), mj23 (kill it quickly before it grows), and DI in Fargo.  Mods, I'm not including any posters who have ever contributed anything even remotely valid to the site (johnboy, tjamz, wyobison, etc.), simply identifying the trolls for you.

Can't say this too many times.....

It's pretty obvious when even other bison fans are calling these kids out as trolls.  Also, add 2011bisonalumni and the phoenix to the black list.

I realize gfhockey is annoying at times, but how does he get suspended/banned while the bizun trolls continue to infect and destroy threads?  I see it's spawning season for them as well.... add nosidel to the list.

Add 2Tru4U and CellarDwellarSue

• Upvote 1