SiouxSports.com Forum

Championship

Fetch

Yale was the ECAC #3 seed for the tournament. The RPI Engineers were the #2 seed.

So much for the theory about going into the NCAA tournament 'on a roll' too. Yale didn't score a goal in its two ECAC playoff losses - Union beat the Bulldogs 5-0 and Quinnipiac beat them 3-0 in the 3rd place game. Four game later, they're NCAA champions. Simply...wow.

I meant in the PWR at the time...I thought I remember seeing them pretty high up in the PWR before they laid the egg in the ECAC tourney

I meant in the PWR at the time...I thought I remember seeing them pretty high up in the PWR before they laid the egg in the ECAC tourney

Sorry, I thought you meant conference tournament seed.

Yale went 4-0 against the WCHA this year, beating Denver, Colorado College, Minnesota, and North Dakota. Bruce McLeod should do the right thing and FedEx Yale the Broadmoor Trophy.

Seems like they were in the 7-12 area late in the season, before the conference tournament. Not sure it's ever happened that only 1 team (Canisius) not in the top 16 pwr stole a slot in the tourney (at Western Michigan's expense).

Here's the number of wins by teams in the tourney, in order of seeding , 1 through 16: 3-0-2-0-1-0-1-1-0-0-0-1-2-0-4-0, or, 1 seeds-5 wins, 2 seeds-3 wins, 3 seeds-1 win, 4 seeds-6 wins

Have to admit when sitting in Fargo and heading to watch the Sioux/Niagara game, when I saw the Gophers had lost in OT, couldn't help but think, The Sioux are going to the FF, now can they beat Lowell if Lowell gets there. Same way I felt when HC beat the Gophers in GF.

Most striking to me:

The Melrose comment with 14 minutes to play and Yale up 2-0 about Yale still pressuring because you can't sit back and protect a lead that long.

Most striking to me:

Yale's goalie, when asked at what point he felt the Bulldogs were going to be national champions. Answer? When the score was 1-0. Talk about playing with confidence.

Most striking to me:

The Melrose comment with 14 minutes to play and Yale up 2-0 about Yale still pressuring because you can't sit back and protect a lead that long.

Did you hear that Dave.

^This......

If you have the puck, the other team can't score.

The team playing the best at the end of the year wins the Natty EVERY year. It's not complicated yet UND has no idea how to get to that point. Sparty, BU, BC, UMD and now Yale. I watched Yale's last 4 games...no puck luck was needed. They just outworked each opponent and maximized their talent in all 4 games. Again... not complicated.

It is complicated though. Its complicated when you start to contemplate what kind of team psychology, ie attitude/dogma/perspective/disposition best facilitates a team's ability to play at the level we witness most years in the tournament.

To me it's not a simple question and maybe it has motrethan one solution?

Is it the "lunch pail/business trip" attitude. Where you play a discipline game and focus on mistake minimization

OR

Is it the attack/attack/attack you ain't got noth'in to lose mentality that keeps you from gripping it to tight and allows a team to maximize potential through freedom of expression so to speak?

I tend to think the best attitude/strategy is more of the latter and I think Hak's inclination is more toward the former.

Sometimes I think the loss to Denver in Colorado Springs really hurt us in more ways than one. Denver not only beat one of our best teams ever but also won it all by playing a style like the the former above. It is like we have al been trying to convince ourselves to adopt that style ever since.

Isn't that a style for a lesser skilled team to compete. IE Michigan two years ago? Shouldn't the more skilled team play like BC in '07 & '08 or Yale did this year. Just never stop attacking in a high flying style?

Title game getting lots of play on Sportscenter this morning. Yale winning is a great story, and it doesn't hurt that both schools right in ESPN's back yard. Haven't seen the Frozen Four get this much play on ESPN in the 9 years or so that I have had season tix........

Sorry, I thought you meant conference tournament seed.

Yale went 4-0 against the WCHA this year, beating Denver, Colorado College, Minnesota, and North Dakota. Bruce McLeod should do the right thing and FedEx Yale the Broadmoor Trophy.

Just like the Sioux should have received the Beanpot back in 2005? :)

At Rangers games they still chant "Potvin sucks"...even when they aren't playing the Islanders...

Not nearly as funny as the early 1990's after the Islanders' jersey change when Rangers fans would chant 'fiiiiish sticks...fiiiiish sticks..."