SiouxSports.com Forum

Goon

I believe his team coughed up a lead and then lost 5-3. WMU and C.C. did us a solid this weekend.

Coughed it up? 3 goals in just over a 3 minute span in the 3rd and a 4th with 40 seconds left. Ouch. That's practically Minnesota Vikings-esque!

• Upvote 1

I'm shocked the current thread is trying to mock not only one of the great college coaches out there, but one of the greatest Sioux coaches of all time. The guy brought us two nattys...stay classy guys.

I'm not "mocking" Blais as all. A 3-1 lead with under 10:00 left in the 3rd period turned into a 5-3 loss in a hurry. It can happen...

I'm shocked the current thread is trying to mock not only one of the great college coaches out there, but one of the greatest Sioux coaches of all time. The guy brought us two nattys...stay classy guys.

I think people have very short memories of just how bad this program was when Blais took it over in 1994. We were close to becoming another Michigan Tech (perennial losers). It took him just three seasons to bring home NCAA title #6 and #7 followed three years later. It was a golden age for Fighting Sioux hockey and I feel so fortunate to have been a part of it as a student in the best student section in the game. His time has come and gone, but we must never forget the contributions of past coaches and players because they helped build what we enjoy today.

Blais has always played high risk high reward, sometimes in works sometimes they give up leads. Hakstol could loosen up a little and take some chances in his game plans(like having Marto out against Gerbe instead of Finley) Hakstol is a great recruiter and assembles an awesome team just needs to take his game generalship to a new level.

But open season on the current coach, who falls into similar categories, is perfectly fine? Hak hasn't won the big one yet, but has been incredibly successful. Confused why criticism of one is not only fine but more or less encouraged but the other is off limits.

• Upvote 2

Blais has always played high risk high reward, sometimes in works sometimes they give up leads. Hakstol could loosen up a little and take some chances in his game plans(like having Marto out against Gerbe instead of Finley) Hakstol is a great recruiter and assembles an awesome team just needs to take his game generalship to a new level.

This is exactly the way I see it. I'm not sure the Sioux have had a better program coach than Hakstol. And I'm not sure how you game-coach any better than putting 40 SOG and only giving up one goal while the goalie is on the ice (Mich 2011), but I think he needs to do something.

On the balance, it seems Blais recommendation that they hire Hakstol has been good for UND. They do need to win one, though, to keep recruiting the elite talent, IMO

• Upvote 1

He sure could have double shifted his best goal scorer( Frattin) and tried carrying the puck in instead of dumping it in and giving Michigan an easy out every time.he has said lots of times he doesn't worry about what the other team is doing but focuses on his team, sometimes you have to adjust to different looks.

He sure could have double shifted his best goal scorer( Frattin) and tried carrying the puck in instead of dumping it in and giving Michigan an easy out every time.he has said lots of times he doesn't worry about what the other team is doing but focuses on his team, sometimes you have to adjust to different looks.

Why would you change a system mid game when that system was clearly working? They were absolutely DOMINATING that game, but just couldn't bury one. Changing a system that's delivering Grade A chance after Grade A chance, makes no sense.

• Upvote 1

I think people have very short memories of just how bad this program was when Blais took it over in 1994. We were close to becoming another Michigan Tech (perennial losers). It took him just three seasons to bring home NCAA title #6 and #7 followed three years later. It was a golden age for Fighting Sioux hockey and I feel so fortunate to have been a part of it as a student in the best student section in the game. His time has come and gone, but we must never forget the contributions of past coaches and players because they helped build what we enjoy today.

1 for 2 today, fs4l. Still batting .500 though...

No true Sioux fan will forget the Dean Blais era, at least not those with any real knowledge of UND hockey history. 1988-1994 was simply tough to watch...but it was also didficult to figure out how to say good-bye to Gino Gasparini as head coach. It had to be done though.

Tom Landry...Chuck Noll...Don Schula...those guys have a lot in common with Ron Mason, Jack Parker, and Gino himself. Do people choose to remember Gino in 1993 or 1994 when they bump into him? My guess is "no," they immediately think of 1980, 1982, and 1987. Same with Dean. Those 1997 and 2000 teams will always be something special. Always.

But open season on the current coach, who falls into similar categories, is perfectly fine? Hak hasn't won the big one yet, but has been incredibly successful. Confused why criticism of one is not only fine but more or less encouraged but the other is off limits.

Gfhockey....read this!! Unreal.

Some good points. It's not all the head coach, of course, but I think when we remember now good Frattin was we overlook how well his situation was handled. What happened after he left the program and returned to Edmonton was pretty remarkable, IMO, and Hak and his staff deserve some credit for that.

• Upvote 1

1 for 2 today, fs4l. Still batting .500 though...

No true Sioux fan will forget the Dean Blais era, at least not those with any real knowledge of UND hockey history. 1988-1994 was simply tough to watch...but it was also didficult to figure out how to say good-bye to Gino Gasparini as head coach. It had to be done though.

Tom Landry...Chuck Noll...Don Schula...those guys have a lot in common with Ron Mason, Jack Parker, and Gino himself. Do people choose to remember Gino in 1993 or 1994 when they bump into him? My guess is "no," they immediately think of 1980, 1982, and 1987. Same with Dean. Those 1997 and 2000 teams will always be something special. Always.

I should have qualified it with "some fans" have short memories. I wasn't necessarily targeting you. Blais is ready for retirement and for time with the grandkids, but in his heyday, he was a good as it gets when it comes to recruiting, in game and out of game coaching and so on. And I think Hakstol learned a lot from Blais during his time as a UND assistant. Maybe this year's winning streak will lead to a national title and a merciful end to this banter.

I'm pretty sure the banter had nothing to do with mocking Dean Blais.

It was more mocking the constant "BRING DEAN BACK!!!!!!" contingent on here. :)

I'm pretty sure the banter had nothing to do with mocking Dean Blais.

It was more mocking the constant "BRING DEAN BACK!!!!!!" contingent on here. :)

This.

No one around here doesn't appreciate what Dean did. Coaches get too much credit and too much blame around here. Coaches coach, players play, and the other team wants to win just as much as we do. You need a few good bounces to win a title, Blais got them, Hakstol hasn't yet.

• Upvote 1

And I'm not sure how you game-coach any better than putting 40 SOG and only giving up one goal while the goalie is on the ice (Mich 2011), but I think he needs to do something.

Gotta disagree on that one and agree with SIOUXELEVENS immediate reply...40 SOGs but no real grade A scoring chances. Michigan controlled the tempo of that game from the get-go...and no adjustments were made at all.

Yup, yup, and yup. Watching UND dump the puck in on the PP over and over and over again that game was simply maddening.

Gotta disagree on that one and agree with SIOUXELEVENS immediate reply...40 SOGs but no real grade A scoring chances. Michigan controlled the tempo of that game from the get-go...and no adjustments were made at all.

If that is true, he will definitely have to show he can develop that ability to game coach on the big stage when he has the talent to win.