SiouxSports.com Forum

Goon

But open season on the current coach, who falls into similar categories, is perfectly fine? Hak hasn't won the big one yet, but has been incredibly successful. Confused why criticism of one is not only fine but more or less encouraged but the other is off limits.

I never understood this... People say that Hakstol has never won the big game. One could argue that he's won quite a few big games. If I am not mistaken, he's won Four Final Five Championships, and five Regional Championships, are those not big games?

Edited by Goon

This.

No one around here doesn't appreciate what Dean did. Coaches get too much credit and too much blame around here. Coaches coach, players play, and the other team wants to win just as much as we do. You need a few good bounces to win a title, Blais got them, Hakstol hasn't yet.

No doubt, if anything he's a great coach... Nice guy and an interesting person.

I never understood this... People say that Hakstol has never won the big game. One could argue that he's won quite a few big games. If I am not mistaken, he's won Four Final Five Championships, and five Regional Championships, are those not big games?

Unlike some teams, we don't hang banners for those. We all know what big games we are talking about - What's his frozen 4 record? 1-5? Again - not saying fire Hak, just wish he could get us over the hump. I hate the idea that collectively Sioux fans may be deciding that just being there is good enough.
  • Upvote 1

I hate the idea that collectively Sioux fans may be deciding that just being there is good enough.

I think we’re seeing the transformation of the UND hockey team. I think "we’re" going to see one sooner, rather than later. Gone are the lumbering defense getting beat by smallish players like Nate Gerbie. Now everyone in the UND lineup can skate, and skate like the wind. It’s no accident that UND’s defense is the top points getters. It's all coming together.

Unlike some teams, we don't hang banners for those. We all know what big games we are talking about - What's his frozen 4 record? 1-5? Again - not saying fire Hak, just wish he could get us over the hump. I hate the idea that collectively Sioux fans may be deciding that just being there is good enough.

This makes me laugh, that some people think the fans have any say in this!

Don't give me the fans stop showing up blah blah blah. Yes things happened like that with the football team, but you tell me how many YEARS of multiple down seasons (which have yet to happen) would it take for the REA to be less than half full to dictate the firing of a coach?

Yes you said it not to fire Hak, but your saying he will keep his job because fans think getting there is good enough.

Neither case do the fans make any decisions!

I think we’re seeing the transformation of the UND hockey team. I think "we’re" going to see one sooner, rather than later. Gone are the lumbering defense getting beat by smallish players like Nate Gerbie. Now everyone in the UND lineup can skate, and skate like the wind. It’s no accident that UND’s defense is the top points getters. It's all coming together.

I couldn't agree more! Also if this doesn't prove that Hak makes adjustments to try and win the big one!

It is no coincidence that the Sioux look similar to the type of teams that send them home early at the end of the year during the big show!

But open season on the current coach, who falls into similar categories, is perfectly fine? Hak hasn't won the big one yet, but has been incredibly successful. Confused why criticism of one is not only fine but more or less encouraged but the other is off limits.

I think they are both uncalled for...I have stated my thought many times but there are some that live on the ends of the spectrum. I don't care what anyone says, blais did much more for this program then Hakstol has. Again, do I think Hakstol should be fired? No, you cannot fire someone that has had his kind of success. However I do think that after a 13-15 year tenure (3-5 years from now) both parties may have to go there separate ways if we haven't won a national title. A coach with his success deserves 13-15 years to try and get it done. He has put an entertaining product on the ice, no one can deny that. But to mock blais is ludicrous. In speculation, I'm guessing he would have won 1-2 more had he not left. There were some nice blue chippers that came in at the time he was leaving.

I do agree with you here....their mobile d core is really fun to watch. Hopefully Schmaltz stays and dominates next year. If everyone comes back this team could be very very good next year. The last two weekend have been fun to watch!

I think they are both uncalled for...I have stated my thought many times but there are some that live on the ends of the spectrum. I don't care what anyone says, blais did much more for this program then Hakstol has. Again, do I think Hakstol should be fired? No, you cannot fire someone that has had his kind of success. However I do think that after a 13-15 year tenure (3-5 years from now) both parties may have to go there separate ways if we haven't won a national title. A coach with his success deserves 13-15 years to try and get it done. He has put an entertaining product on the ice, no one can deny that. But to mock blais is ludicrous. In speculation, I'm guessing he would have won 1-2 more had he not left. There were some nice blue chippers that came in at the time he was leaving.

I don't think anyone is mocking Blais, scpa, as much as tweaking the "fire Hak" people by joking about what Dean could have done or is now doing in UNO.

So you are blaming Hak!? That is ludicrous!

But OK to say, just don't say anything about Blais, got it.

So you are blaming Hak!? That is ludicrous!

But OK to say, just don't say anything about Blais, got it.

I simply think that in 3-5 years from now, if we haven't won the big one or if we continue to get knocked out of the tourney, I think it wouldn't be the worst idea in the world to explore our options.

Btw, I fully understand you are only stating those dean comments to attempt to slow down the "fire hakers" but to a guy like me who's family has played for dean and who's family friends with them it gets old that this is the way some of you choose to go about it. To me, you guys are almost as annoying as gfhockey.....almost :)

I simply think that in 3-5 years from now, if we haven't won the big one or if we continue to get knocked out of the tourney, I think it wouldn't be the worst idea in the world to explore our options.

Btw, I fully understand you are only stating those dean comments to attempt to slow down the "fire hakers" but to a guy like me who's family has played for dean and who's family friends with them it gets old that this is the way some of you choose to go about it. To me, you guys are almost as annoying as gfhockey.....almost :)

Fair enough, that probably would make it difficult for some of us to read then also. Just remember Blais is a legend to me and most here, my comments and the others were meant in no disrespect to him.

Fair enough, that probably would make it difficult for some of us to read then also. Just remember Blais is a legend to me and most here, my comments and the others were meant in no disrespect to him.

Fair enough, didn't mean to stir the pot. FYI, I truly think gfhockey annoys almost everyone on this site, the best way to go about it would to avoid him. Guy has to be super lonely to troll the way he does. I know it's tough, I broke my on rule and responded to him last Friday.

Hakstol gives us as good of a chance to win as anyone available. That's what Bob May did, that's what Gino did, that's what Blais did. He obviously can coach and I think this is one of his best years yet. The fact is some don't like that he doesn't spend more time at the pub with fans. In my experience he has always been good with fans especially kids. He has a family and should spend time with them whenever possible. If we aren't winning then its his system. When we win it is the players that come here because of the Ralph. The record shows he can recruit and he puts kids in a position to win. We will win another NC. I don't think some of you understand how hard it is to get to FF much less win the dang thing. I've never heard the players blame the coaching for losses. Somehow we have fans that seem to think cuz they may know the game of hockey they know anything about being a coach. Blais was a great coach but he left. Sandy is a great coach but he is in Duluth. Eades is gone and has never won a game at this level, nor has he been a head coach at this level. So who will do better? Just cuz some dont think we have reason to upset what we have going for us doesn't mean if the program starts to slide we won't demand a change. It is tough to replace a legend and keep a program at this level. Hakstol has done that so far.NHL experts think Hakstol does a great job. I don't think they are "drinking the koolaid".

• Upvote 4

Hakstol gives us as good of a chance to win as anyone available. That's what Bob May did, that's what Gino did, that's what Blais did. Blais was a great coach but he left. Sandy is a great coach but he is in Duluth. Eades is gone and has never won a game at this level, nor has he been a head coach at this level. So who will do better?

None of the afore-mentioned names could carry Rube Bjorkman's jock strap. Just ask his biggest fan, Wilbur's dad, about the glory days of yore.

None of the afore-mentioned names could carry Rube Bjorkman's jock strap. Just ask his biggest fan, Wilbur's dad, about the glory days of yore.

Oh man. You are making me rethink attending Hoggsbreath with that line. It is so wrong, but the mental image is worse. :crazy:

Let's look at it this way. Jerry York gets hired as UND coach. His record would not be as good as Hakstol. Why? Jerry does not have a very good record when he gets outside the Boston area. Let's keep Dave. Truth is the more you read this blog arguments are nothing more than what ifs. Hakstol is doing the job and creates players.

Let's look at it this way. Jerry York gets hired as UND coach. His record would not be as good as Hakstol. Why? Jerry does not have a very good record when he gets outside the Boston area. Let's keep Dave. Truth is the more you read this blog arguments are nothing more than what ifs. Hakstol is doing the job and creates players.

York did ok in Tampa, Detroit, Denver, and Albany.

Ok then you are now appointed to go hire York. I was going to say east coast region but only included Boston. As my UND kids would say "my bad". Time to take action. Time to be productive and solve this fictious problem that this blog is creating. All those upset with Hakstol need to get together and get York here or maybe the coach of the Russian Olympic team or or or or.....