SiouxSports.com Forum

Goon

The problem with judging various coaches by records alone is it totally overlooks the factors it takes to build a championship program. The Sandelin comparison is especially ridiculous when you compare what he had to sell to recruits vs. what Hak does. Compare the facilities like the old DECC vs. the Ralph. Compare the traditions. Compare the overall support. It's not even close to an equal situation. Any coach that gets handed the keys to this program should be expected to win at a pretty high clip.

I can understand a season or two where our results slips a bit. Even the best programs have those things happen. I believe this will be one of those seasons we'll have to overlook as a negative. But I don't fault the frustration of some over the lack of a championship under the current coach either.

A) 11-22-2 - the worst record in the BC years of Jerry York

18-19-2 - Don Lucia's worst season at Minnesota

12-17-9 Jack Parker's worst season at BU

13-26-1 Red Berenson's worst season at Michigan

11-23-4 Gino Gasparini's last season at North Dakota

7-28-4 Scott Sandelin's worst record at Minnesota-Duluth (first season there)

24-15-4 Dave Hakstol's WORST season at North Dakota

Very true, he does not deserve to lose his job. What we are seeing now is that a lot of their draft picks and recruits are not panning out. Every once in awhile that will happen to an elite program. I am honestly not as high as everyone else on next years class either. Schmaltz will be very nice if he comes but the other forwards have struggled in junior hockey. Go to USHL.com and look who leads the league and look where they are going. More likely than not they will be decent college players. Beside schmaltz none of our recruits are doing anything. Our only hope is that we return all our players. I like our D but our forward recruits as a whole is somewhat concerning.

not to be devils advocate but yale was 5-2-1 last year at this point and 8-3-2 at the x-mas break. their troubles came in february when they lost 5 straight. but point well taken on the others and we will just have to see if history can repeat itself.

There you go, clouding the issue with facts. :)

The Sandelin comparison is especially ridiculous when you compare what he had to sell to recruits vs. what Hak does. Compare the facilities like the old DECC vs. the Ralph. Compare the traditions. Compare the overall support. It's not even close to an equal situation. Any coach that gets handed the keys to this program should be expected to win at a pretty high clip.

Ridiculous? Really? He could sell recruits two years ago on a sexy new arena AND a national title...and sputtered into a 19 loss season last year.

Let's see, we are really excited by a 1-1 tie after 1 period playing an unranked team with a losing record.

we've got a little more Sioux pride than that I should hope

Considering there is a need for Panzarella to play forward, I personally am OK with a 1-1 first period.

Let's see, we are really excited by a 1-1 tie after 1 period playing an unranked team with a losing record.

we've got a little more Terrier pride than that I should hope

Easy to fix your post should happen to be a Terrier fan...you do realize they're practically UND East at this point in the season, right?

BU has a storied hockey history just like UND...multiple NCAA championships...expectations of excellence...a losing record so far this season...seeing any similarities?

Now I'm tracking. Although, to stay within the theme of this thread...they did win a title within recent memory

• Upvote 1