SiouxSports.com Forum

Goon

None of the afore-mentioned names could carry Rube Bjorkman's jock strap. Just ask his biggest fan, Wilbur's dad, about the glory days of yore.

We don't talk about Rube.....And if we are talking about a rube, like sports nut as per say, we have to clarify this as well.

If you want to set my dad off, talk about the stretch when he was at UND when they only won 16 games in two seasons.....and lost 51 games during that time period as well.

We don't talk about Rube.....And if we are talking about a rube, like sports nut as per say, we have to clarify this as well.

If you want to set my dad off, talk about the stretch when he was at UND when they only won 16 games in two seasons.....and lost 51 games during that time period as well.

The first rule of talking to Wilbur's dad is:

we do not talk about the Rube years.

The second rule of talking to Wilbur's dad is:

WE DO NOT TALK ABOUT THE RUBE YEARS!

The first rule of talking to Wilbur's dad is:

we do not talk about the Rube years.

The second rule of talking to Wilbur's dad is:

WE DO NOT TALK ABOUT THE RUBE YEARS!

Correct. We can only talk about UND and Sacred Heart beating the Gophers.

• Upvote 1

Ouch.

That was the two years before I was there. In my three years they were 49-62 under Rube. We could get to the game 10 minutes before puck drop and sit at center ice.

First off, I think we've had a couple great teams under Hak and many other good ones, so I'm not on the Fire Hak bandwagon yet (though I'm far from a Hak fan)..... but I do wish he would make adjustments so his coaching and the style of play fits the players he has. One thing we always hear about Hak and the UND coaching staff is they operate like it's a professional hockey program and that is something several of the recruits have openly said they liked about the program. Perhaps it's a good thing and I'm wrong, but maybe Hak should encourage the players to have more fun on the ice and get back to the GAME of hockey, rather than forcing them into a rigid, structured system that allows for minimal creativity. Having fun is supposed to be one of the good things about college that the pros miss.

Just one uninformed fan's thoughts. Regardless, I'm sure we'll go on our typical post-christmas charge, most who are currently ragging on him will praise Hak's ability to put together the right lines with the right chemistry, and we'll make a second round exit from the NCAA tourney. It's like clockwork.

Well the first 2 have come true. Hopefully I was wrong about the 3rd......

Sat through those stretches of loses. But liked Rube and his asst. coaches. Had a blast at the games. Great memories. Made me a solid fan.

It takes a lot to watch/follow a team that loses that many games. In my dad's time at UND they lost way more than they won. But he was still at every game, living the college dream. Kind of unique, when my dad started at UND the Old Ralph was new, and when I started at UND the New Ralph was just getting going.

Will there be a New Ralph part 3 when my two year old enrolls in UND in the Fall of 2030? Could be later, depends on how many years that Hak wants him to play juniors.

It takes a lot to watch/follow a team that loses that many games. In my dad's time at UND they lost way more than they won. But he was still at every game, living the college dream. Kind of unique, when my dad started at UND the Old Ralph was new, and when I started at UND the New Ralph was just getting going.

Will there be a New Ralph part 3 when my two year old enrolls in UND in the Fall of 2030? Could be later, depends on how many years that Hak wants him to play juniors.

Nice...

A little off topic, but this Gopher talk reminded me of attending last season's Sioux/Gopher series...I Had the pleasure of attending my first ever UND series at Mariucci. During the 5-1 beating we took on Friday, my girlfriend (a Gopher fan) chewed out an a-hole Gopher fan for turning around and screaming in my face after each Gopher goal...even the surrounding Gopher fans loved the tongue lashing that guy got from her and applauded!

My very first hockey game was the first night the old Ralph had the first game ever. Sat right next to the guy with the red light. Was right on the ice behind the glass. East end of the rink. Spent a lot of time ducking even with the glass between myself and the puck. LOL. But I was very hooked and loved going to the games win or lose or lose or lose. That was about the ratio. But they won that first night.

My very first hockey game was the first night the old Ralph had the first game ever. Sat right next to the guy with the red light. Was right on the ice behind the glass. East end of the rink. Spent a lot of time ducking even with the glass between myself and the puck. LOL. But I was very hooked and loved going to the games win or lose or lose or lose. That was about the ratio. But they won that first night.

I was there too. Jeff Sauer and CC in town, if I remember right.

Those of us who began watching the Sioux in the old barn thought the new building was very nice but too quiet and civilized. A little like fans felt after the move from the old Ralph to the new.

• Upvote 1

Unlike some teams, we don't hang banners for those. We all know what big games we are talking about - What's his frozen 4 record? 1-5? Again - not saying fire Hak, just wish he could get us over the hump. I hate the idea that collectively Sioux fans may be deciding that just being there is good enough.

HERE is the real BINGO!

• Upvote 1

Winning the National Championship today is a lot like winning the World Series of Poker. Even the best of players are lucky to make it to the final table. In hockey, to get to the Frozen Four, the coaches can do what they can to give their teams the best chance to win, but it is still a bit of the luck of the draw, having all your guys on board at the right time, and especially your goaltender. If your powerplay comes together at the right time, and your penalty killing as well, and your goaltender performs, you increase your chances substantially. I also think with the number of times Hakstol has brought his teams there, that the odds are going to turn in our favor at some point, and all the cards are going to fall for us.

• Upvote 1

Winning the National Championship today is a lot like winning the World Series of Poker. Even the best of players are lucky to make it to the final table. In hockey, to get to the Frozen Four, the coaches can do what they can to give their teams the best chance to win, but it is still a bit of the luck of the draw, having all your guys on board at the right time, and especially your goaltender. If your powerplay comes together at the right time, and your penalty killing as well, and your goaltender performs, you increase your chances substantially. I also think with the number of times Hakstol has brought his teams there, that the odds are going to turn in our favor at some point, and all the cards are going to fall for us.

BC does it quite consistently...not that we should compare ourselves to BC or anything :)

• Upvote 3