SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs MICHIGAN TECH - Saturday Game 2

AZSIOUX

I'll try to give some perspective as a Gopher fan without being biased or troll-like. Championships are constantly determined by a couple of factors:

1) Great goal-tending.

2) Solid Defense

3) Getting hot at the right time.

4) Depth

It's not hard to see...that at least at this moment...UND is not firing on all four of these factors. There's no clear number #1 goalie that is playing well, the D has had a lot of let down moments, their energy/effort is not as good as it has been at other points, and they are getting most of their production from about 3 guys. I don't see 1 or 4 changing anytime soon; unless of course a goalie just gets hot...it can happen. When you're still debating line combos and who should dress that suggests there's not great depth. Saying the role players suck or can't help is going too far. All the players on a team like MN or UND are talented...but not all are high-end game changers. Regarding #2; the defense has some talent but hasn't seemed to gel. I always remember a Sioux D-core having big, tough guys to play against...not sure that edge is there this year...IDK though because I obviously don't follow it that closely. I know from our perspective we expect a hard hitting (cheap vs tough-nosed depending on your bias) effort from the Sioux and this years series there were hardly many scrums or penalties...they were way more tame than I remember them. Hell UMD played us with way more physicality. Seems there's a lot of concern they fired the wrong assistant. MN certainly did this with Hill and Guentzel and the squad went from very mediocre to very good pretty quickly once it was rectified.

I'd say the Sioux's best shot a a run lies with #3. They have historically been a team that plays very well at crunch time and they certainly can play with a lot of heart and pride; even if it's not happening right now. For this years squad to win...I think they need to get hot, play with passion, and probably get some good fortune to overcome some atypical shortcomings that they wouldn't normally have to worry about. I wouldn't bet on them because when your wondering if you'll even make the tourney that doesn't usually bode well for your chances. That said, I'd rather not face them and they will certainly be a tough out if they do get in...which I think they will.

Serious question...what point in the season would you cite that would give you faith that this team had the winning formula? In other words, what is their high mark you want them to get back to? With MN I could certainly point to efforts against BC, Notre Dame, UND Friday night, even a blowout against a lesser Mich St. What is the Sioux top end effort and, if they could get there, would that be good enough to consistently beat the best in the nation? Time will tell I guess. I'd wish you luck but I'd be lying. :)

I thought after sweeping Omaha this group maybe had what it takes. But after that weekend we've seen some sloppy hockey. Being totally honest, there wasn't a point other than that where I got overly excited about their play.

PS: Very classy post, nice to have civil conversations with opposing fans.

Almost all of the people here are here year in and out. Not only when they are winning. They do not use the hockey games as a social event like so many do. These are not bandwagon fans that are on and off like many others. Just wearing UND stuff does not make you a real fan. People here are in for the long haul.

Not me. If they lose tonight, I'm a gopher fan forever.

Ordering my panties now.

• Upvote 1

I thought after sweeping Omaha this group maybe had what it takes. But after that weekend we've seen some sloppy hockey. Being totally honest, there wasn't a point other than that where I got overly excited about their play.

PS: Very classy post, nice to have civil conversations with opposing fans.

Agree w all the above.

My buddy called me and said, okay what do you think, I said okay, we'll go down to the rink today and you try and skate with me hanging all over you. You try to shoot with a me holding your stick. It's tough sledding out there and the guys have to take it up a notch. When they moved their feet they were past the defensemen and on the goalie.

Yes, admittedly a very good/seemingly unbiased post by a Gofer. Not playing Chicken Little but I think next season, unless some of the sophomore forwards step up their scoring production and defense plays better (to many breakdowns/lost at times it seems), we could see at best a .500 teams, akin to maybe Gino's teams' his last few years here. Other than Rocco and maybe McWilliam and Parks,who's going to shoulder the scoring load with with Krisco and Knight gone? The way college hockey is, unless you're a very talented top-end player (Rocco although snake-bit), freshmen just can't be counted on to reach double figure goal totals very often.

I'll try to give some perspective as a Gopher fan without being biased or troll-like. Championships are constantly determined by a couple of factors:

1) Great goal-tending.

2) Solid Defense

4) Depth

It's not hard to see...that at least at this moment...UND is not firing on all four of these factors. There's no clear number #1 goalie that is playing well, the D has had a lot of let down moments, their energy/effort is not as good as it has been at other points, and they are getting most of their production from about 3 guys. I don't see 1 or 4 changing anytime soon; unless of course a goalie just gets hot...it can happen. When you're still debating line combos and who should dress that suggests there's not great depth. Saying the role players suck or can't help is going too far. All the players on a team like MN or UND are talented...but not all are high-end game changers. Regarding #2; the defense has some talent but hasn't seemed to gel. I always remember a Sioux D-core having big, tough guys to play against...not sure that edge is there this year...IDK though because I obviously don't follow it that closely. I know from our perspective we expect a hard hitting (cheap vs tough-nosed depending on your bias) effort from the Sioux and this years series there were hardly many scrums or penalties...they were way more tame than I remember them. Hell UMD played us with way more physicality. Seems there's a lot of concern they fired the wrong assistant. MN certainly did this with Hill and Guentzel and the squad went from very mediocre to very good pretty quickly once it was rectified.

I'd say the Sioux's best shot a a run lies with #3. They have historically been a team that plays very well at crunch time and they certainly can play with a lot of heart and pride; even if it's not happening right now. For this years squad to win...I think they need to get hot, play with passion, and probably get some good fortune to overcome some atypical shortcomings that they wouldn't normally have to worry about. I wouldn't bet on them because when your wondering if you'll even make the tourney that doesn't usually bode well for your chances. That said, I'd rather not face them and they will certainly be a tough out if they do get in...which I think they will.

Serious question...what point in the season would you cite that would give you faith that this team had the winning formula? In other words, what is their high mark you want them to get back to? With MN I could certainly point to efforts against BC, Notre Dame, UND Friday night, even a blowout against a lesser Mich St. What is the Sioux top end effort and, if they could get there, would that be good enough to consistently beat the best in the nation? Time will tell I guess. I'd wish you luck but I'd be lying. :)

Goaltending - Gothberg has picked up three weekly awards lately hasn't he? Saunders has a .928 save % and a 1.75 GAA in last four starts. Not playing well ??

@jallengary

jeez, what a mess. don't worry so much about UND, buddy. just enjoy your own team.

subtle trolling is still trolling. you should've came and shared your feelings after we won on Friday and you would've looked like a genius, but as it is, you're just a weak-ass troll.

anybody start that Game 3 Thread yet?

Trolling...possibly but I didn't see anything posted that was off base in regards to this team.

My buddy called me and said, okay what do you think, I said okay, we'll go down to the rink today and you try and skate with me hanging all over you. You try to shoot with a me holding your stick. It's tough sledding out there and the guys have to take it up a notch. When they moved their feet they were past the defensemen and on the goalie.

Sorry Goon, I usually agree but I can't in this instance. Seems to me MTU has no trouble winning races to every loose puck because they are working harder, not clutching. They are picking off the dump-ins and having free reign out of the zone. UND is slow to transition and aren't doing anything well to create space.

• Upvote 1

Most of the time you hear coaches talk about being strong from the net-out. I almost feel it is the complete opposite with this squad right now. We gotta get the forwards working in the O zone and coming back to help the transition game. The D and goaltending will improve as a result.

1) Great goal-tending.

2) Solid Defense

4) Depth

Another poster said this was a great post. I disagree with that poster. It was an excellent post.

I have no beef with @jallen's post. Its legit. I also think the coddlers need to understand that this site isn't your casual bandwagon jumpers...most of us are on here frequently and invest ourselves in this hockey team. For me personally, it is my favorite past time. I invest so much energy into my career and my family- Sioux hockey is my release drug...especially when paired with, and to quote Katie Hale "some pops".

The coaching staff- well Hak has had a lot of success, but I still question which legitimate big-time program coaching candidate wouldn't have had success with the players we've had in his tenure. I'm not saying he should be fired- I'm just saying we haven't exactly dominated, despite some of the best talent in the world...Two of his years we were the favorites by far and couldn't put it together. Then to Bubba...WTF! Our d looks awful...he's brought in to do special teams and d- now our pp was firing pretty well prior to the last two series, but our D is poor in our end, in the offensive end, in transition...Simpson has improved, but every other returning player has regressed.

lines- you need chemistry- our coaching staff has failed to help the players build that much needed intangible.

Compete- it appears that after Kristo and Grimaldi nobody cares- I think Mac does, but he gets penalized for playing his game.

I'm not saying we can't get it together tonight and next week, but we are not firing on all cylinders right now.

• Upvote 2

I have no beef with @jallen's post. Its legit. I also think the coddlers need to understand that this site isn't your casual bandwagon jumpers...most of us are on here frequently and invest ourselves in this hockey team. For me personally, it is my favorite past time. I invest so much energy into my career and my family- Sioux hockey is my release drug...especially when paired with, and to quote Katie Hale "some pops".

The coaching staff- well Hak has had a lot of success, but I still question which legitimate big-time program coaching candidate wouldn't have had success with the players we've had in his tenure. I'm not saying he should be fired- I'm just saying we haven't exactly dominated, despite some of the best talent in the world...Two of his years we were the favorites by far and couldn't put it together. Then to Bubba...WTF! Our d looks awful...he's brought in to do special teams and d- now our pp was firing pretty well prior to the last two series, but our D is poor in our end, in the offensive end, in transition...Simpson has improved, but every other returning player has regressed.

lines- you need chemistry- our coaching staff has failed to help the players build that much needed intangible.

Compete- it appears that after Kristo and Grimaldi nobody cares- I think Mac does, but he gets penalized for playing his game.

I'm not saying we can't get it together tonight and next week, but we are not firing on all cylinders right now.

Posts like this is what makes this board so good.

Wow bunch of pansies coming out of the woodwork after last night. I for one am glad they lost last night. A nice kick to the balls is a good thing right before the final five and national tourney. I'd rather have this than be riding a 20 game winning streak just waiting for them to have an off night in the frozen four. I think we can look back to last nights game as a positive for the team as they get on a seven game winning streak.

And to all you people who only post when the team loses when they shouldn't, gfy.

Observations:

1. Passing was just lazy. No zip to them and by the time someone received a pass MTU player was on them. The lazy passing killed the power plays. A good power play needs crisp passes.

2. UND players do not go to the puck. They stand there and wait for the puck to come to them. Unfortunately, by then an MTU player had stepped in front of them (see #1) and intercepted the pass.

3. When passes were made and got to the Sioux player, they were in the skates or too off target to handle.

4. Gleason was horrible and coughed up the puck all night.

5. Kristo needs to learn to play defense. He was a one way player all night long.

6. This whole team needs to learn to shoot the puck ON NET!. Grimaldi is the worst one on this but others are doing the same thing. There ware way too many wide open nets being missed.

7. All night long MTU baited the Sioux into passing into a trap and then slammed the door.

8. Kristo makes the exact same move time after time trying to skate around someone. They have figured it out and play the body and shut it down.

9. Knight has essentially shut down offensively for some reason. Not only is he not scoring goals, he isn't even setting up others.

10. Way too much trying to skate up the ice one on two or three. A good breakout is accomplished by passing. Get it into the zone with speed and a whole line flying up the ice. I don't think that happened once in this game.

11. Grimaldi is making way too many blind passes without looking.

My thoughts tonight is this team is playing like a group of individuals and not like a team.

This drives me nuts. He has done this way to often and the puck ends of going the other way. The kid can't act like the players are gonna be there. Plus a lot of his passes are pretty hard and not on target. Noticed that on the pp in the 3rd.

Keys to success this time of year:

A. Prevent the other team from scoring. You accomplish this in a few ways:

1. Limit mistakes in your own end and in the neutral zone- you do this with puck protection and good passes

2. Do not give up odd-man rushes- everyone must be heads up and providing support to each other, positional play, communicate

3. Goaltending has to play sharp, top of the crease hockey

4. Physically punish opposing forwards that enter high probability scoring areas

5. Close passing lanes with active sticks and good positional play

6. Its okay to take physical penalties, unacceptable to take lazy penalties

7. Win the time on attack battle through a strong forecheck and good passing as well as smart point play

B. Score goals

1. Attack the offensive blue line with speed and numbers- you do this by moving your feet and making crisp passes on the tape

2. Shoot the puck- very few goals are scored from perimeter passes

3. Win the loose puck battles- this is 100% about effort and compete

4. Have to be able to beat an opponent 1x1 in order to create time and space

5. Establish a net front presence- its where they separate the men from the boys

6. Convert on the powerplay and on high probability scoring chances- you have to execute

7. Play loose and have fun- tight hockey has no rhythm and uptight guys don't score (pun intended)

1) Great goal-tending.

2) Solid Defense

4) Depth

I think a post like this is an honest and respectfull observation that can lend a credible opinion to a resonable discussion on our common interests........

And thus....has no place on this forum after a loss ;)

Tough to be rational whilst we deplane in flight.

@jallengary

jeez, what a mess. don't worry so much about UND, buddy. just enjoy your own team.

subtle trolling is still trolling. you should've came and shared your feelings after we won on Friday and you would've looked like a genius, but as it is, you're just a weak-ass troll.

anybody start that Game 3 Thread yet?

Be classy, he wasn't being rude I didn't think