SiouxSports.com Forum

Exciting News Coming From the NCHC?

IrishSiouxFan

With the departure of Buckie and Goldie courtesy Jim Delany and the BTN, the balance of power had shifted in the WCHA. With UM and UW the teams looking to stay at max scholarships had the majority voting bloc; without them the schools that would favor scaling back expenditures would be in the majority.

For schools that depend on hockey to be a fiscal driver, not being top tier nationally (due to scaled back spending, especially on scholarships) is not an option.

Rather than face a conference looking to downgrade from 18 scholarships, the schools that have made the big investments in hockey decided to band together and ensure that scale-backs would not happen. The only way to ensure that would be to go on their own.

So what you see is this:

UND - hockey is the fiscal engine for Athletics

DU - hockey is the fiscal engine for Athletics

CC - hockey is the fiscal engine for Athletics

UNO - dropped FB and wrestling to commit to hockey

WMU - just look at their coach, a former pro coach, they've committed

Miami - they're committed to top-level hockey based on their performance record

UMD and SCSU have rinks (new or improved) and say they are committed (and if not, they'd be in a minority)

The teams in the WCHA (and CCHA for that matter) that have been "riding along" (not improving but benefitting when UND or UM came to town) got a rude awakening. However, that awakening is also opportunity if used correctly.

You can't explain legit reasons why the NCHC was formed! It's not the Big6 fault! It is UND and Denver's fault! The poor WCHA because of these two arrogant teams!

"WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? OUR TWITTER PAGE IS PERFECT AND RELEASES ONLY THE NEWEST OF INFORMATION!" - WCHA

Reminds me of someone's grandma getting a hold of their twitter account! (I CAN'T FIGURE OUT HOW TO GET THE CAPITALS TO GO AWAY!)

• Upvote 1

Groan...a 3rd place game. Yay.

I think the 3rd place game is a good idea for the NCHC. No way is ticket demand going to be anywhere close to what it was for the Final Five. At least this way I know I can see the Sioux play twice that weekend regardless of how they fare in the semi-final game.

I just reserved my tickets. Unfortunately, I never got a chance to go to a Final Five. Hoping to make the NCHC tourney an annual family trip starting next year. Will be fun to watch it grow................

Reminds me of someone's grandma getting a hold of their twitter account! (I CAN'T FIGURE OUT HOW TO GET THE CAPITALS TO GO AWAY!)

Lol. My favorite is when they kept tweeting in all caps and everything happened at least a full week in advance before they tweeted it.

The new NCHC logo is great. The red, white, and blue shield gives it the "National" feel. Anyone else notice the 8 stars?!! great way to recognize the 8 teams that will start this league!! The color makes it great. Unlike an other conference logo in college hockey. Well done!

There is also a stick down the left side I didn't notice at first.

Hopefully it isn't the jersey patch - those colors would clash pretty badly with most jerseys.

LOL...I noticed that right away so my eyesight must be ok.

Then again, it was about 1995 when I realized that the old Milwaukee Brewers logo wasn't just a ball in a glove...

I didn't notice them at all until you mentioned it! :lol: Of course...they're pretty obvious.

I'm not a fan...too much clutter...and I hope it's not a 4-6" patch on every team's jersey. Yikes.

how can it be cluttered? it's a shield with four letters on a banner, 8 stars, and a "hidden" stick you failed to see. :lol:

how can it be cluttered? it's a shield with four letters on a banner, 8 stars, and a "hidden" stick you failed to see. :lol:

I saw the stick. That's obvious.

The banner is a bit too high on the shield. The top of the shield is barely visible and nothing there balances out the 8 stars on the bottom part.

"WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? OUR TWITTER PAGE IS PERFECT AND RELEASES ONLY THE NEWEST OF INFORMATION!" - WCHA

Surely, you like getting twitter updates a week after they become outdated right? :)

• Upvote 1

Hopefully it isn't the jersey patch - those colors would clash pretty badly with most jerseys.

Wonder if is there the possibility of each team having the logo in their team colors similar to what the Big Sky does.

Wonder if is there the possibility of each team having the logo in their team colors similar to what the Big Sky does.

I think they chose the colors for a reason. The red white and blue with the site stars is meant to symbolize this conference truly is national. The best in the nation. Like I said before, keeping the colors with Red White and blue on the jersey will make this league stand out from others. Denver has the old stars and stripes on their jersey and it looks just fine. Maybe someone can mock up a current jersey (white, back and green) to see what it would look like. I think it will end up looking better than most think.

............Maybe someone can mock up a current jersey (white, back and green) to see what it would look like. I think it will end up looking better than most think.

Paging BIG A....paging BIG A....your services have been requested in the forums....

Number one rule about PR, any news is good news, good bad indifferent

Oh, how I wish this was actually true :)

Rule 1. Get out in front of good news.

Rule 1a. Get way out in front of bad news.

Summary of Rules 1 and 1a: Control the message.

Rule 1. Get out in front of good news.

Rule 1a. Get way out in front of bad news.

Summary of Rules 1 and 1a: Control the message.

And if you don't like the Message please don't shoot the messenger.

dontshoot.jpg