SiouxSports.com Forum

BTHC/NCHC

darell1976

Refresh my memory on that one. Just because they used it does not mean they knew it.

James MacNaughton purchased the cup in 1913 for $2G's and awarded it to the champion of the AHA. It's 100 years old and I bet LSSU, Bowling Green, Ferris State or any other former-CCHA team would be PROUD to hoist it next season as the WCHA champion.

James MacNaughton purchased the cup in 1913 for $2G's and awarded it to the champion of the AHA. It's 100 years old and I bet LSSU, Bowling Green, Ferris State or any other former-CCHA team would be PROUD to hoist it next season as the WCHA champion.

Why wouldn't they? It is their new leagues trophy. How did Tech end up with it?

Why wouldn't they? It is their new leagues trophy. How did Tech end up with it?

It's not really a 'new' league...

MacNaughton was from the UP and owned a mining company. He was an avid supporter of amateur hockey. Read up on it...it's pretty interesting stuff.

• Upvote 2

With the addition of Rutgers and Maryland to the Big 14, I wonder what the possibilities are, if any, of those schools starting up hockey programs. Then again, if they get too many teams in the BTHC, they will have to split into divisions like 'leaders' and 'legends'. LOL!

Floppers and Divers divisions....I kid, I kid. :lol:

• Upvote 2

http://www.uscho.com/rankings/pairwise-rankings/d-i-men/

Looking at the Latest Pairwise rankings, I looked at how future NCHC and Big 10 schools were doing this year. Here's what I found:

2. Minnesota (Big10)

7. W. Michigan (NCHC)

9. St. Cloud (NCHC)

10. N. Dakota (NCHC)

13. Denver (NCHC)

t21. Neb. Omaha (NCHC)

23. Wisconsin (Big10)

24. Ohio St. (Big 10)

Can someone explain to me how the Big 10 is going to be a better than the NCHC??!!

http://www.uscho.com/rankings/pairwise-rankings/d-i-men/

Looking at the Latest Pairwise rankings, I looked at how future NCHC and Big 10 schools were doing this year. Here's what I found:

2. Minnesota (Big10)

7. W. Michigan (NCHC)

9. St. Cloud (NCHC)

10. N. Dakota (NCHC)

13. Denver (NCHC)

t21. Neb. Omaha (NCHC)

23. Wisconsin (Big10)

24. Ohio St. (Big 10)

Can someone explain to me how the Big 10 is going to be a better than the NCHC??!!

First I dont think many fans who know college hockey would think they woukd be better even if both Michigan schools and uw were winning this season. Both conferences will be good. Big10 just less depth to work with. Michigan won't be this down as well as mich state or uw. This season would be a bad start for the 10 if started this year. Ohio state and penn state will anchor that league but you can bet Michigan will bounce back strong. No doubt this year would be lopsided when comparing.

For me it's all about who's the king of the hill come April in Pittsburgh!

http://www.uscho.com...nkings/d-i-men/

2. Minnesota (Big10)

7. W. Michigan (NCHC)

9. St. Cloud (NCHC)

10. N. Dakota (NCHC)

13. Denver (NCHC)

t21. Neb. Omaha (NCHC)

23. Wisconsin (Big10)

24. Ohio St. (Big 10)

When they start playing each other for two series a year, at least 2 or 3 of the 6 teams will give the other 3 or 4 lots of wins.

The biggest way the BTHC is better than the National Conference is in the member schools' name recognition for those who do not follow hockey (which unfortunately for the NCHC is most of the country).

The conference scheduling will also be hard on the rankings of the teams in the NCHC due to having to play the best teams in the country week in and week out.

Correct. 20 conference games in the Big Ten. This would definitely be a terrible year for the Big Ten if it were in play. Minnesota would be the only team in unless Wisconsin keeps up its current pace or a team other than Minnesota won the conference tournament. Most years the conference will probably end up getting 2 or 3 teams into the tournament. 4 would be damn near a miracle IMO. Don't forget, the NCHC won't ever look quite as strong as it does right now in the PWR either because all of those teams are going to be playing each other. When they play each other someone has to lose and some teams are going to have to be at the bottom of the conference. With that said I'd still expect an average of 3 or 4 NCHC teams in the NCAA's every year with the rare but possible occurrence of 5.