SiouxSports.com Forum

BTHC/NCHC

darell1976

Looks like the NCHC next season is going to be tough if you look at how the teams are doing this year:

NCHC

Miami 11-3-4 (#5)

W Mich 11-4-1 (#8)

UND 10-5-3 (#7)

UNO 11-6-1 (#12)

SCSU 11-7-0 (#16)

DU 9-6-3 (#14)

UMD 7-8-3

CC 8-10-2

BTHC

Minnesota 11-3-3 (#4)

Ohio St 7-6-5

Penn St 7-8-0

Michigan 6-9-2

Wisconsin 4-7-5

Mich State 5-10-2

BTHC looks like a joke.

Is it really worth moving teams to new conferences and breaking up rivalries all because the Big Ten wants to suck up whatever money they can get.

Looks like the NCHC next season is going to be tough if you look at how the teams are doing this year:

NCHC

Miami 11-3-4 (#5)

W Mich 11-4-1 (#8)

UND 10-5-3 (#7)

UNO 11-6-1 (#12)

SCSU 11-7-0 (#16)

DU 9-6-3 (#14)

UMD 7-8-3

CC 8-10-2

BTHC

Minnesota 11-3-3 (#4)

Ohio St 7-6-5

Penn St 7-8-0

Michigan 6-9-2

Wisconsin 4-7-5

Mich State 5-10-2

BTHC looks like a joke.

Is it really worth moving teams to new conferences and breaking up rivalries all because the Big Ten wants to suck up whatever money they can get.

First of all it's not the BTHC, its the Big Ten. And this is just a snapshot of the teams now. Michigan, Michigan State, and Wisconsin are all historically much better than Miami, Western Mich, UNO, and SCSU who are currently ranked. Those top programs wont stay down for long.

First of all it's not the BTHC, its the Big Ten. And this is just a snapshot of the teams now. Michigan, Michigan State, and Wisconsin are all historically much better than Miami, Western Mich, UNO, and SCSU who are currently ranked. Those top programs wont stay down for long.

http://www.startribu.../118373629.html

http://www.bcinterru...-college-hockey

http://www.maizenbre...2013-as-big-ten

http://www.mlive.com...rence_take.html

Both conferences were proud to announce their formations and both have secured television deals, but the Big Ten Hockey Conference has now taken the next step past the National Collegiate Hockey Conference.

The BTHC announced on Thursday it will play its first four conference championships at Xcel Energy Center in St. Paul, Minn., and at Joe Louis Arena in Detroit.

Nobody calls it just the Big 10.

• Upvote 1

NCHC

Miami 11-3-4 (#5)

W Mich 11-4-1 (#8)

UND 10-5-3 (#7)

UNO 11-6-1 (#12)

SCSU 11-7-0 (#16)

DU 9-6-3 (#14)

UMD 7-8-3

CC 8-10-2

BTHC

Minnesota 11-3-3 (#4)

Ohio St 7-6-5

Penn St 7-8-0

Michigan 6-9-2

Wisconsin 4-7-5

Mich State 5-10-2

BTHC looks like a joke.

At least the Gophers will finally be good at a Big 10 sport.

• Upvote 4

NCHC

Miami 11-3-4 (#5)

W Mich 11-4-1 (#8)

UND 10-5-3 (#7)

UNO 11-6-1 (#12)

SCSU 11-7-0 (#16)

DU 9-6-3 (#14)

UMD 7-8-3

CC 8-10-2

BTHC

Minnesota 11-3-3 (#4)

Ohio St 7-6-5

Penn St 7-8-0

Michigan 6-9-2

Wisconsin 4-7-5

Mich State 5-10-2

BTHC looks like a joke.

It is, to go from the greatest hockey conference in the country to the worst, just plain sucks! Just like everything else it's all about the mighty $$$$. Bright side is, I'll personally save alot of money by not having to make as many roadtrips anymore......cause the only place I have any desire to go to is Yost.

• Upvote 3

Actually if you look at their RPI you'll see they've played one of the toughest schedules in the conference.

He must be thinking of the UMN Hockey team whose strength of schedule is 40th out of 59. Their opponents winning percentage is 45%.

Edited by Goon

It is, to go from the greatest hockey conference in the country to the worst, just plain sucks! Just like everything else it's all about the mighty $$$$. Bright side is, I'll personally save alot of money by not having to make as many roadtrips anymore......cause the only place I have any desire to go to is Yost.

I don't see OSU or PSU being much of a threat. Even Wisconsin looks weak. Big advantage for the Gophers.

He must be thinking of the UMN Hockey team whose strength of schedule is 40th out of 59. Their opponents winning percentage is 45%.

Which will change once we play BC and Notre Dame. Its not the Gophers fault that Michigan State and Vermont are down this year. The schedules are made years in advance.

Which will change once we play BC and Notre Dame. Its not the Gophers fault that Michigan State and Vermont are down this year. The schedules are made years in advance.

Yeah, It will change once B.C. runs UMN out of the building 5-1 at the Mariucci Classic...

• Upvote 2

I just hope both these conferences and the new-look WCHA are successful in the long run and maybe even add a few more start-up programs to keep college hockey on the upswing...the last thing we want is the weaker hockey schools struggling and pulling the plug.

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, It will change once B.C. runs UMN out of the building 5-1 at the Mariucci Classic...

Nice call on that one.

I hate Minnesota as much as anyone here but obviously some folks here aren't following their women's hockey or men's basketball teams this year.

I just hope both these conferences and the new-look WCHA are successful in the long run and maybe even add a few more start-up programs to keep college hockey on the upswing...the last thing we want is the weaker hockey schools struggling and pulling the plug.

This x 1000. That's why I always find myself cheering for Ferris State, Michigan Tech, LSSU, etc. Schools like those folding up shop will hurt college hockey badly.

I know nothing about hockey other than I cheer for the US in the olympics, and the Gophs and the Irish when tourney time rolls around.

Am I the only one who thinks recruiting should be pretty easy for the B1G teams to sell? "Come play for us at Michigan State and play against Minnesota, Michigan, Ohio State, and Penn State(as well as any others who potentially add hockey)." having their own conference certainly can't make the bad teams any worse right?

I know nothing about hockey other than I cheer for the US in the olympics, and the Gophs and the Irish when tourney time rolls around.

Am I the only one who thinks recruiting should be pretty easy for the B1G teams to sell? "Come play for us at Michigan State and play against Minnesota, Michigan, Ohio State, and Penn State(as well as any others who potentially add hockey)." having their own conference certainly can't make the bad teams any worse right?

So subtracting games against LSSU and replacing them with Minnesota will make Ohio State better? Maybe in the long run, yes, but in the short term, that's two wins in exchange for a couple of smackdown losses.

Nice call on that one.

I hate Minnesota as much as anyone here but obviously some folks here aren't following their women's hockey or men's basketball teams this year.

Yeah, the women's team is awesome, I wouldn't watch a basketball game if it was in my basement.