SiouxSports.com Forum

BTHC/NCHC

darell1976

Well, since the WCHA Final Five moved into the (new) Xcel, Wisconsin has won all of 1 game in the championship portion of the bracket. (They won the 3rd place game several times.)

http://wcha.com/men/...ney/history.php

Wisconsin hockey fans travel well...if the travel is to Green Bay or Milwaukee. You would think the St Cloud vs Wisconsin regional championship game two years ago at the X would have drawn 10,000...I was there...lower bowl had PLENTY of seats available. I don't think that game's attendance was over 5,000.

In Badger defense, it's easy to say Sioux and Gopher fans support the Final Five...if either of those teams had won only one semi-final game over the last 13 years, the X would contain a lot fewer green and maroon jerseys in the stands.

I don't know how the WCHA can justify having the Final 5 at the X. In order I think the majority of the fans at the Final 5 are Minnesota, North Dakota, St Cloud, Duluth, and Wisconsin. All teams that will be gone from the league next year. The closest team left in the league is Mankato! I guess I could be wrong, but I don't see the X filling more than the lower bowl for their tournament. While it may host the Final 5 in 2015, I don't see it being there again.

Where is the Final 5 next year gonna be? Anyone know?

How about Bemidji? That's all the seating they will need from now on. :p

How about Bemidji? That's all the seating they will need from now on. :p

I am surprised that the NCHC didn't go for the every-other-year at Xcel and Pepsi Centers. I honestly think folks will be disappointed in what they see at Target Center.

And why the X took the new WCHA is beyond me...

I am surprised that the NCHC didn't go for the every-other-year at Xcel and Pepsi Centers. I honestly think folks will be disappointed in what they see at Target Center.

And why the X took the new WCHA is beyond me...

I think the long-standing relationship the X has with the WCHA has something to do with it. But if the attendance tanks like I think it will, I think they will tell the WCHA to find another venue for it.

I think the long-standing relationship the X has with the WCHA has something to do with it. But if the attendance tanks like I think it will, I think they will tell the WCHA to find another venue for it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm in a small group of fans who would spend a few bucks to go see some teams I've never seen play before...but not many folks are that big of a fan that they would do the same. I would LOVE to see the new-look WCHA succeed...but I'm skeptical.

Don't get me wrong, I'm in a small group of fans who would spend a few bucks to go see some teams I've never seen play before...but not many folks are that big of a fan that they would do the same. I would LOVE to see the new-look WCHA succeed...but I'm skeptical.

With 7 of the 9 schools coming from either Michigan or Alaska, I don't see the attendance even close to half of what the Final 5 gets now. Unless Mankato and Bemidji plan on bringing thousands of fans there...if they make it. I get that the X wants to be loyal to a league that they have had a great relationship in the past, but I don't see how they can be profitable to have a tournament that will probably average 20,000 for the entire weekend!! Unless they are thinking there will be a lot of Minnesota hockey fans that don't ant to make the trip to Detroit and just want to watch college hockey live! I guess we will have to wait ans see!!

I think the 'new' WCHA has two big issues that are almost impossible to overcome: #1 being school size and #2 being distance between schools.

I seriously think a specific site every other year for the WCHA Final Five will be a disaster. The best way to decide where the tournament would be held might be to let the conference regular season champion host it. You would probably guarantee more tickets sold in Bemidji, Houghton, or Mankato than you would if your Final Five in St Paul happened to consist of Northern Michigan, Michigan Tech, Alaska, Alaska-Anchorage, and Lake Superior State. Same thing if Joe Louis Arena hosts and your FF are Mankato, Bemidji, Alaska, A-A, and one of the UP schools.

If you look at a map of where all the WCHA schools are (excuding the AK schools) Having the tournament in Milwaukee or Green Bay makes the most sense because it would be very centrally located for all the non-Alaska schools. Making it 5 hours closer for the MI schools will deffinitely help in attendance.

I would think Green Bay or Milwaukee would be logical choices for the new WCHA. Seems like that would be somewhat centrally located and would make driving an option for several schools' fans.

Green Bay would have been a great option. In fact, the WCHA probably missed a good chance to downsize its venue and use that to its advantage. A conference championship game with 3500 or 4000 fans in a venue about that size is still a packed house or close to it. 3500 to 4000 at the X or The Joe is a morgue atmosphere.

Media coverage will also be a factor. Detroit and M-St P newspapers and radio will give the mew WCHA about as much attention as they do South Dakota State football. Green Bay has the Gamblers and they could be used in the same way the Wild are currently used to help promote hockey.

Green Bay would have been a great option. In fact, the WCHA probably missed a good chance to downsize its venue and use that to its advantage. A conference championship game with 3500 or 4000 fans in a venue about that size is still a packed house or close to it. 3500 to 4000 at the X or The Joe is a morgue atmosphere.

From looking at attendance numbers from last year for these schools a 5K seat arena would be their best option. Bemidji had the highest attendance last year averaging only 3521 a game. Lake Superior had 2154 a game. How many would go to St. Paul? A hundred maybe? By looking at these numbers I would guess that if 2000 people showed up for the championship game that would be a huge crowd. That is taking into consideration that Mankato or Bemidji was playing. It really probably could be held at the Purpur.

With 7 of the 9 schools coming from either Michigan or Alaska, I don't see the attendance even close to half of what the Final 5 gets now. Unless Mankato and Bemidji plan on bringing thousands of fans there...if they make it. I get that the X wants to be loyal to a league that they have had a great relationship in the past, but I don't see how they can be profitable to have a tournament that will probably average 20,000 for the entire weekend!! Unless they are thinking there will be a lot of Minnesota hockey fans that don't ant to make the trip to Detroit and just want to watch college hockey live! I guess we will have to wait ans see!!

I'll be attending the NCHC tournament in years the B1G is in Detroit. If i'm going to watch hockey live I want to make sure there's some good teams playing with passionate fan bases. The WCHA tournament is going to be an epic failure at the X

I'll be attending the NCHC tournament in years the B1G is in Detroit. If i'm going to watch hockey live I want to make sure there's some good teams playing with passionate fan bases. The WCHA tournament is going to be an epic failure at the X

Exactly my point. There are Gopher fans that won't make the trip to Detroit on odd years and will have the option to watch live college hockey. Who do you think they are going to choose....Lake Superior State v. Ferris State or UND v. Denver.

Exactly my point. There are Gopher fans that won't make the trip to Detroit on odd years and will have the option to watch live college hockey. Who do you think they are going to choose....Lake Superior State v. Ferris State or UND v. Denver.

They will likely choose neither...

If Lake Superior State vs Ferris State is a 2pm game, I'll be there.

Exactly. One Gopher fan will come to Target Center to watch the NCHC. I've seen the X without the Gophers there...GFG will be one of the few who shell out $ to watch somebody else play.

Why wouldn't people go is the way I look at it. There's no way I can afford to go to Detroit, so why wouldn't I go enjoy some good hockey in downtown Minneapolis? The bar scene alone by the Target Center makes it all worthwhile

Why wouldn't people go is the way I look at it. There's no way I can afford to go to Detroit, so why wouldn't I go enjoy some good hockey in downtown Minneapolis? The bar scene alone by the Target Center makes it all worthwhile

You and I are more than casual fans, that's why. I get what you are saying, but 10 out of 10 Sioux fans likely won't drive from Grand Forks to St Paul to see Michigan Tech vs LSSU and 9 out of 10 Gopher fans won't drive from Plymouth, Bloomington, or Forest Lake to Minneapolis to see Miami vs North Dakota.

How great is it gonna be in 2014 in Minneapolis/St Paul with 2 conference tournaments going on!! 10 schools fanbases overtaking the Twin Cities. Holy hockey hotbed Batman!!

That's like saying multiple fan bases take over Minneapolis and St Paul every time the Timberwolves and Wild each play at home on the same night. Honestly, Mpls and St Paul may as well be Fargo and Grand Forks. The fan bases don't typically intersect anywhere.

I do hope the WCHA succeeds, I really do. If the NCHC title game is Denver vs CC, you just might find me in St Paul instead, no matter who is playing.