SiouxSports.com Forum

BTHC/NCHC

darell1976

I actually think that the WCHA might not except them either. I would be willing to bet that it's not a slam dunk. I have a bad feeling about this.

I disagree and think they will be accepted. Having a 10-team league is far easier than a 9-team league and UAH appears to have made a commitment to facility upgrades that will help its case. C'mon, Bruce, don't let the Chargers down!

I disagree and think they will be accepted. Having a 10-team league is far easier than a 9-team league and UAH appears to have made a commitment to facility upgrades that will help its case. C'mon, Bruce, don't let he Chargers down!

I kind of agree. They have shown that they have the dollars to make sure they support a team. It's probably not ideal as the geographic footprint is already huge, but I think the positives will outweight the negatives.

With the addition of Rutgers and Maryland to the Big 14, I wonder what the possibilities are, if any, of those schools starting up hockey programs. Then again, if they get too many teams in the BTHC, they will have to split into divisions like 'leaders' and 'legends'. LOL!

With the addition of Rutgers and Maryland to the Big 14, I wonder what the possibilities are, if any, of those schools starting up hockey programs. Then again, if they get too many teams in the BTHC, they will have to split into divisions like 'leaders' and 'legends'. LOL!

HEY! We're getting rid of those names. Possibly gone by June. Lol

I'm not much of hockey guy, but as a North Dakota fan and casual observer of college hockey, my opinion is that 10 years from now, the BTHC will be to the NCHC what the WCHA was to the CCHA..............

By that I mean superior..........................

The B1G will have storied programs like Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, and Michigan St. plus schools with a huge fan base in Ohio St. and Penn St.

The NCHC will have storied programs like North Dakota and Denver............................................... and that's about it.

I understand the pecking order of college hockey, and I recognize that North Dakota is near the top. But a guy like me would rather head up to GF to take in a game against lowly Ohio St. than I would St. Cloud St...............................

I'm not much of hockey guy, but as a North Dakota fan and casual observer of college hockey, my opinion is that 10 years from now, the BTHC will be to the NCHC what the WCHA was to the CCHA..............

The B1G will have storied programs like Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, and Michigan St. plus schools with a huge fan base in Ohio St. and Penn St.

The NCHC will have storied programs like North Dakota and Denver............................................... and that's about it.

I understand the pecking order of college hockey, and I recognize that North Dakota is near the top. But a guy like me would rather head up to GF to take in a game against lowly Ohio St. than I would St. Cloud St...............................

Huge fan base or not, OSU is diseased in hockey...

Ohio State is averaging just over 3000 and Penn State is barely above 1000 this year. SO while they have huge fan bases...they are light years from being the most popular program at their school. In Minnesota, Michigan, MSU, etc...hockey is not the most popular sport either. At pretty much all the Big 10 schools, hockey is the 3rd most popular sport at the school behind basketball and football. At the NCHC schools, hockey is the most popular sport at the school. Don't think that the NCHC is not going to use that in their recruiting. Hey, do you want to play for us here in Denver? We get to play in a packed stadium at home...then on the road, play infront of 12000 people in Grand Forks, and 7000 psople in Duluthe, etc. Alot beter than...Hey you want to come play for Michigan State. Yes you can play the Gophers and Michigan....but guess what...you get to play in front of 1000 people at Penn state and an arena that is not even a quarter full in Columbus.

My point being that yes these schools have large fanbases, but that does not mean that their college hockey fanbases are big as well.

At pretty much all the Big 10 schools, hockey is the 3rd most popular sport at the school behind basketball and football.

This is correct. And it's not even close. The drop off in popularity from football/basketball to hockey is huge in the Big Ten. Even at Minnesota, hockey isn't even close to competing with basketball and football for popularity.

This is correct. And it's not even close. The drop off in popularity from football/basketball to hockey is huge in the Big Ten. Even at Minnesota, hockey isn't even close to competing with basketball and football for popularity.

I dont think hockey popularity is that far behind basketball to be honest. If it was then why are the hockey tickets this weekend a tougher get than a top ten basketball match up tomorrow? Hockey averages around 10K per game, basketball I bet during the non-confernce was averaging even less.

I dont think hockey popularity is that far behind basketball to be honest. If it was then why are the hockey tickets this weekend a tougher get than a top ten basketball match up tomorrow? Hockey averages around 10K per game, basketball I bet during the non-confernce was averaging even less.

Tickets are tough to get because there's a bunch of UND fans wanting them. The people selling the tickets for $400 are obviously Gopher fans that want to go, but if there's a UND fan willing to pay that much money why not sell it and watch on TV. That's what's happening. Even when the basketball team sucks they're more popular than hockey. I love Gopher basketball, the only disappointment with them being good is that ESPN is broadcasting the game tomorrow and Dickie V is one of the commentators :crazy:

• Upvote 1

Yep, they're beating down the doors at Ohio State to see the Buckeye's play hockey.

Yep, they're beating down the doors at Ohio State to see the Buckeye's play hockey.

Ohio State has a hockey team? They play in a 17,500 seat arena and they fill 18.5% (3,246) of it.

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/almanac/attendance.php

UND averages 11,750 at 102.2% capacity...only UND and Princeton are over 100% capacity.

UMD's play-by-play guy Bruce Ciskie said on the radio tonight that UMD and SCSU will be designiated rivals in the NCHC. They will play home and home every year. I would assume UNO and UND, WMU-MIA and DU and CC for the others.

I wasn't sure if UMD and UND would be designed rivals or not...but the news from Bruce answers that question

At first, I was disappointed that the NCHC and Notre Dame were unable to come to terms.

But the more I think about it, I'm okay with it.

Case in point, well articulated by Melinda Henneberger, "At Notre Dame, a fake tragedy gets more tears than a real one".

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/she-the-people/wp/2013/01/17/a-fake-tragedy-gets-more-tears-than-a-real-one/

Shame, shame, for old Notre Dame.

At first, I was disappointed that the NCHC and Notre Dame were unable to come to terms.

But the more I think about it, I'm okay with it.

Case in point, well articulated by Melinda Henneberger, "At Notre Dame, a fake tragedy gets more tears than a real one".

http://www.washingto...han-a-real-one/

Shame, shame, for old Notre Dame.

Meh. Wouldn't affect the NCHC either way. This is all the football program. Even if the university knew and did nothing, nothing will happen. What Te'o did isn't illegal or against any NCAA rules. It just makes him look like a sad, attention whore that wanted more fame. His stats were nowhere near good enough to have him as a Heisman Finalist. Don't believe me, look them up. That story was the ONLY reason he got vaulted into Heisman consideration, and many Heisman voters have blatantly admitted this on Twitter since the story about Te'o broke.

Either way, it would in no way affect anything with the NCHC.

Ohio State is averaging just over 3000 and Penn State is barely above 1000 this year. SO while they have huge fan bases...they are light years from being the most popular program at their school. In Minnesota, Michigan, MSU, etc...hockey is not the most popular sport either. At pretty much all the Big 10 schools, hockey is the 3rd most popular sport at the school behind basketball and football. At the NCHC schools, hockey is the most popular sport at the school. Don't think that the NCHC is not going to use that in their recruiting. Hey, do you want to play for us here in Denver? We get to play in a packed stadium at home...then on the road, play infront of 12000 people in Grand Forks, and 7000 psople in Duluthe, etc. Alot beter than...Hey you want to come play for Michigan State. Yes you can play the Gophers and Michigan....but guess what...you get to play in front of 1000 people at Penn state and an arena that is not even a quarter full in Columbus.

My point being that yes these schools have large fanbases, but that does not mean that their college hockey fanbases are big as well.

I get that Ohio St. and Penn St. are zeros in college hockey. I'm just saying I think the name recognition of the Big 10 and the branding of its hockey playing members are going to help the identity of that league in the long run.

Honestly, all the NCHC has going for it (to a casual fan like me) is North Dakota and Denver. Those are the only two schools that have any name recognition outside of the traditional WCHA footprint.

I think it is very unfortunate that the NCHC could not snag Notre Dame, and as a result ended up with St. Cloud.

I understand that most if not all of the members of the NCHC are committed to hockey, and it is the #1 sport on most NCHC campuses. It's also the #1 sport at Bemidji and Lake Superior. Doesn't mean they'd be quality additions...................

UMD's play-by-play guy Bruce Ciskie said on the radio tonight that UMD and SCSU will be designiated rivals in the NCHC. They will play home and home every year. I would assume UNO and UND, WMU-MIA and DU and CC for the others.

I wasn't sure if UMD and UND would be designed rivals or not...but the news from Bruce answers that question

Isn't the NCHC playing a full 28 game schedule, each team playing 4 against each other? If so, why the need to designate rivals?