SiouxSports.com Forum

BTHC/NCHC

darell1976

And I rank watching women's hockey right up there with soccer - especially Olympic women's hockey.

I think the women's games are pretty exciting, I have attended quite a few of them over the last two seasons. As far as soccer goes, boring...

And I rank watching women's hockey right up there with soccer - especially Olympic women's hockey.

MafiaMan you seem a little ornery as of late… You in a bad mood? I don’t remember you being so grumpy character at the Dinner at the Hogsbreath. I think you have spent too much time with the rodent fans down in Minneapolis… :lol::)

• Upvote 1

Yeah, the NCHC has no chance in recruiting against the B1GHC.

I mean kids like Shane Gersich are now sure to follow their uncles (former Gophers Neal, Aaron, and Paul Broten) and dad (also a former Gopher) to ... oh, ... wait, ... nevermind.

Ah, where did I say that the NCHC will not recruit compared to the B1G? No where. Just asked if anyone else thought that being a conference full of big name athletic schools will help them.

The trolling is unreal by this guy.....please don't feed him.

Hater-ade much? Good Lord.

So subtracting games against LSSU and replacing them with Minnesota will make Ohio State better? Maybe in the long run, yes, but in the short term, that's two wins in exchange for a couple of smackdown losses.

See, this guy sees what I am saying. I think replacing the smaller schools on the schedule with big-name schools will be beneficial. Example, I think Texas A&M will be a higher quality team(even if their record doesn't always reflect that) in the SEC than they were in the Big XII(ten) because it is a more enticing league to play in for recruits.

See, this guy sees what I am saying. I think replacing the smaller schools on the schedule with big-name schools will be beneficial. Example, I think Texas A&M will be a higher quality team(even if their record doesn't always reflect that) in the SEC than they were in the Big XII(ten) because it is a more enticing league to play in for recruits.

I get it...to a point. What people think of as 'small' schools in hockey have always been pretty successful though. NCAA hockey isn't football or basketball. Denver, North Dakota, UMD, Boston U, Maine, and others won't fall off the map just because Ohio State and Penn State are around. The BTHC has a long ways to go towards respectability. The only games the Buckeyes sell out are when Michigan comes to town. Folks in Columbus are only vaguely aware that Minnesota has a hockey team.

You said ...

Am I the only one who thinks recruiting should be pretty easy for the B1G teams to sell? "Come play for us at Michigan State and play against Minnesota, Michigan, Ohio State, and Penn State(as well as any others who potentially add hockey)." having their own conference certainly can't make the bad teams any worse right?

Then you said.

Ah, where did I say that the NCHC will not recruit compared to the B1G? No where. Just asked if anyone else thought that being a conference full of big name athletic schools will help them.

I merely pointed out that your theory is refuted (admittedly anecdotally) by the top US-born '96 choosing the NCHC's UND over the B1GHC's Minnesota (where he'd have been a legacy).

• Upvote 1

You said ...

Then you said.

I merely pointed out that your theory is refuted (admittedly anecdotally) by the top US-born '96 choosing the NCHC's UND over the B1GHC's Minnesota (where he'd have been a legacy).

I get and respect that point(it is a real life situation after all), I am thinking for a majority of cases and potentially after some amount of time that the B1G will do exceptionally well in recruiting in large part because of their name. The top college football player could choose to play in the ACC, does that mean that it is as easy to recruit for ACC schools as it is for SEC teams.

The top college football player could choose to play in the ACC, does that mean that it is as easy to recruit for ACC schools as it is for SEC teams.

I would certainly say Florida State and Clemson have a recruiting advantage over Ole Miss and Vanderbilt. Conference affiliation isn't the only thing recruits consider. It will be a loooong time before THE Ohio State University or Penn State can consistently out-recruit Denver, BU, or North Dakota...at least in hockey.

MafiaMan you seem a little ornery as of late… You in a bad mood? I don’t remember you being so grumpy character at the Dinner at the Hogsbreath.

I've been testy since the country 'avoided' the fiscal cliff. I promise to be better come the annual Hoggsbreath lunch!

Saying that the BTHC will do better thatn the NCHC in recruiting just because of their name is like saying the SEC will do better in recruiting in basketball than the ACC because of their name, and success in football. Sure from the non hockey fan, the Big 10 hockey conference sounds pretty cool. But to the educated player that actually has researched programs and their history, and seen the seccess at each school, they will see there is more to college hockey than the Big 10.

• Upvote 3

How many conference game will the big 10 teams play? Will everyone play 2/3 series vs each other or 4/6 times or are they all just going to load up non conference cup cakes? What a absolute joke it would be this year, lucky for them as a whole. Bad bad teams. Besides Ohio state hanging on by a finger nail in the pairwise umtc sits a top of that little hill

How many conference game will the big 10 teams play? Will everyone play 2/3 series vs each other or 4/6 times or are they all just going to load up non conference cup cakes? What a absolute joke it would be this year, lucky for them as a whole. Bad bad teams. Besides Ohio state hanging on by a finger nail in the pairwise umtc sits a top of that little hill

I don't expect the BTHC to light the world on fire next season either.

So is the 2014 BTHC tournament at the Xcel Energy Center? I forget what the new rotation is...

Don't listed to anyone bash the NTHC....this conference will be awesome, at least for the forseeable future. Look at the records and recruits this conference is pulling in. Should be fun. The goofs will have an easy schedule and will most likely be over ranked for much the year....but that all is exposed at some point or another (cough cough...Notre Dame).

Don't listed to anyone bash the NTHC....this conference will be awesome, at least for the forseeable future. Look at the records and recruits this conference is pulling in. Should be fun. The goofs will have an easy schedule and will most likely be over ranked for much the year....but that all is exposed at some point or another (cough cough...Notre Dame).

The NTHC? This conference reconfiguration is getting out of hand! I can't even keep up!

I've been testy since the country 'avoided' the fiscal cliff. I promise to be better come the annual Hoggsbreath lunch!

Just for the record, I think a lot of us have been affected/pissed by the fiscal cliff.

Target Center.....I think its a 5 year deal.

I saw the Sioux lose to Denver in the 1998 or 1999 Final Five at Target Center and saw them beat Wisconsin there in the 2000 Final Five. Target Center is without a doubt, one of the worst 'big venue' arenas around for hockey.

I saw the Sioux lose to Denver in the 1998 or 1999 Final Five at Target Center and saw them beat Wisconsin there in the 2000 Final Five. Target Center is without a doubt, one of the worst 'big venue' arenas around for hockey.

It was the 1999 Final Five vs Denver and the 2000 Final Five vs Wisconsin. The 1998 Final Five was in the Bradley Center in Milwaukee where we lost to the Badgers in the title game. I believe the Vikings Stadium funding bill has money in it for renovation of the Target Center. I certainly hope so, it is currently old and not ideal for hockey.

It was the 1999 Final Five vs Denver and the 2000 Final Five vs Wisconsin. The 1998 Final Five was in the Bradley Center in Milwaukee where we lost to the Badgers in the title game. I believe the Vikings Stadium funding bill has money in it for renovation of the Target Center. I certainly hope so, it is currently old and not ideal for hockey.

That game sucked. I think the Sioux were up a goal or two going into the third and DU scored 3 or 4 goals to win it.

I recall, somewhat, the 2000 game against Wisconsin. Some of the concession stands in theTarget Center ran out of beer. ;)

I think TC is a good venue, but agree that it's not really a good hockey venue. I believe the ice was pretty crappy most of the time.

Oh really? I've never been to a hockey game there, I just thought the location wouldn't be bad. What is bad about the TC for hockey?