SiouxSports.com Forum

Big Sky Scores, Stats, & Standings

dakotadan

Hosting the Big Sky Conference Tournament would be just awesome. I certainly hope we can get it done next season and accomplish that!

I have been hoping for this for a couple years now. If it's not the goal of the team and coaches, it should be, because I think it is attainable.

If and when UND hosts the tournament what venue would be used? Betty, Ralph, or Alerus?

As long as the Big Sky Tournament is on the weekend before selection Sunday, it will always be the same weekend as the first round of the conference tournaments. I can't remember what the NCHC playoff format will be, but I assume that it will be a 3 game series for the first round and 4 teams advance to Minneapolis. The optimal place would be to have the tournament at the Ralph, but that would conflict with the first round hockey games (assuming we host, which is a very good chance year in and year out.

So I don't see how they can have it at the Ralph due to hockey potentially being in town. I don't see it being at the Betty either due to the same issue. Parking would be a nightmare. So the only logical place would be to have it at the Alerus. Not the most optimal place, but probably the only option.

A good problem to have if you ask me!!

As long as the Big Sky Tournament is on the weekend before selection Sunday, it will always be the same weekend as the first round of the conference tournaments. I can't remember what the NCHC playoff format will be, but I assume that it will be a 3 game series for the first round and 4 teams advance to Minneapolis. The optimal place would be to have the tournament at the Ralph, but that would conflict with the first round hockey games (assuming we host, which is a very good chance year in and year out.

So I don't see how they can have it at the Ralph due to hockey potentially being in town. I don't see it being at the Betty either due to the same issue. Parking would be a nightmare. So the only logical place would be to have it at the Alerus. Not the most optimal place, but probably the only option.

They could have it in Central's gym. It doesn't matter as long as its in Grand Forks. :)

I ABSOLUTELY hope that the Betty will be used. Otherwise, it is not home court advantage. I know it's the smallest of the three, but the team deserves their home floor.
  • Upvote 1

Time to build the second half of the parking garage at Columbia and University. Students, get ready for parking passes to triple in price again. :crazy:

I ABSOLUTELY hope that the Betty will be used. Otherwise, it is not home court advantage. I know it's the smallest of the three, but the team deserves their home floor.

Agreed. Hopefully UND could get larger bleachers for the ends of the court on short notice if seating is an issue. What is the typical attendance for the conference tourney?? Regardless, as others have stated, it would be a great problem to have if it happened. First things first though, lets take care of SUU this weekend and surprise some people in this year's BSC tourney.

Time to build the second half of the parking garage at Columbia and University. Students, get ready for parking passes to triple in price again. :crazy:

Agreed. Hopefully UND could get larger bleachers for the ends of the court on short notice if seating is an issue. What is the typical attendance for the conference tourney?? Regardless, as others have stated, it would be a great problem to have if it happened. First things first though, lets take care of SUU this weekend and surprise some people in this year's BSC tourney.

Last year Montana vs Weber St champ game had 7,042 in Missoula.

Hmm, well larger end bleachers won't solve that one. One would have to assume fewer non-UND fans would be making the trip all the way to Grand Forks though as compared to tourneys in Montana and Utah.

Montana's average home attendance is 4000, so they brought in roughly 3000 more fans for the championship game. If that held true then we would need to seat around 5000 fans. I'd say bring in temporary bleaches on each end and pack the Betty to where the noise level is out of control and the Betty is packed even if we have to turn away a few fans. That would be an awesome atmosphere.

• Upvote 1

I'm not sure who Weber loses but Montana loses Cherry and Ward so they should come back to the pack a little, really UND should be in the hunt for home court next year based on their play recently, that would be great for the program.

Montana's average home attendance is 4000, so they brought in roughly 3000 more fans for the championship game. If that held true then we would need to seat around 5000 fans. I'd say bring in temporary bleaches on each end and pack the Betty to where the noise level is out of control and the Betty is packed even if we have to turn away a few fans. That would be an awesome atmosphere.

Turning away people at the Betty for a UND basketball game....Now that's a problem that I definitely want to have!!!! :)