SiouxSports.com Forum

Big Sky Scores, Stats, & Standings

dakotadan

Weber St. beat the hell out of Montana tonight. The fact that the Wildcats won is not a surprise, but they did so by 24 points and that is a bit of an eye-brow raiser. The Griz still have to play Montana St. and SUU, both on the road, so the location of the Big Sky Tourney is still very much in play.

More importantly to North Dakota is the fact that Southern Utah lost to Portland St. tonight. That leaves UND in a tie for 3rd place in the middle of the weekend.

This conference tournament is going to be crazy. Outside of Montana and Weber its a coin toss who wins the other games. One more win and I'd say we are a lock for the tournament but we need a seed that we don't play either Montana or Weber in the first round. One of them will get a bye so hopefully we can avoid the other.

BSC Standings:

UM 14-1

WSU 13-2

UND 8-7

SUU 8-7

Sac St 7-8

MSU 7-8

NAU 6-9

-----------

UNC 6-9

EWU 5-9

PSU 4-11

ISU 4-11

The host team for the BSC Tournament will be either Montana or Weber State, and all teams have 5 conference games left (except EWU who has 6 left).

BSC Standings:

UM 14-1

WSU 13-2

UND 8-7

SUU 8-7

Sac St 7-8

MSU 7-8

NAU 6-9

-----------

UNC 6-9

EWU 5-9

PSU 4-11

ISU 4-11

The host team for the BSC Tournament will be either Montana or Weber State, and all teams have 5 conference games left (except EWU who has 6 left).

How do the tiebreakers work for seeding? Just curious because you have NAU over UNC when UNC just beat them (I don't remember what happened in their first game).

I think Darrell is just taking the standings off of the Big Sky website, which goes alphabetically at this point.

I assume the first tie-breaker is head-to-head, so yeah, SUU would be the 3 seed if the tournament started today.

Actually it was espn.com, I didn't account for tiebreakers.

Found this from a couple years ago on tiebreakers -

1. Head to Head Competition

a. Consider the head-to-head record during the Conference season. In double round-robin play, a team would have to sweep the

b. In the case of more than two tied teams, consider the conference regular-season record for head-to-head competition among all of the tied teams. This process is used to break ties between any of the tied teams with any remaining tied teams returning to the process at criteria 1.a.

Example: Teams A, B, C, and D have identical records from a double round robin season. In head-to-head competition, team A emerges with a 4-2 record against the other tied teams, team B and C have a 3-3 record and team D has a 2-4 record. Teams A and D can be placed in the final standings at that point, while teams B and C return to criteria 1.a. If B and C have split their regular Conference season games, they will move to criteria 2, performance against other teams in descending order.

c. In the case of three or more teams having identical win-loss records, the normal tie-breaking procedure would be used. When one or more of these teams is eliminated by using the tie-breaking procedure, the remaining teams involved would then return to the criteria listed in a. to break the tie. This will be done until a team is established for that particular seeding position.

2. Performance Against Conference Teams

This will be determined in descending order of finish, beginning with the No. 1 team. (Example: Teams B and C remained tied after head-to-head criteria from above. Team A has been declared the Conference champion based on the above criteria. Team B has split the conference season games with team A, and team C has lost both of the conference games to team A. Team B is now placed in second place ahead of team C.)

3. RPI rating

4. Coin Toss

A win Saturday I think would almost clinch a tourney berth for UND... That would be UND up 3 games over NAU with 4 games to play (and NAU would be 8th or tied for it)... and I would think it would be just about impossible for UND to drop to 8th.

Standings, as of 2/19/13

Montana...................15-1

Weber St..................14-2

North Dakota............8-8

Southern Utah..........8-8

Sacramento St.........7-9

Montana St...............7-9

Northern Arizona......7-9

Northern Colorado....7-9

Eastern Washington...6-10

Portland St................5-11

Idaho St.....................4-12

Standings through 2/20

Montana 15-1 19-5

Weber State 14-2 19-5

North Dakota 9-8 12-14

Southern Utah 8-8 10-15

Sacramento State 7-9 12-12

Montana State 7-9 10-14

Northern Arizona 7-9 10-16

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Northern Colorado 7-10 9-16

Eastern Washington 6-10 8-18

Portland State 5-11 7-16

Idaho State 4-12 5-20

Standings through 2/20

Montana 15-1 19-5

Weber State 14-2 19-5

North Dakota 9-8 12-14

Southern Utah 8-8 10-15

Montana State 7-9 10-14

Portland State 5-11 7-16

Idaho State 4-12 5-20

Our remaining conference schedule is:

@ Portland St.

@ Eastern Washington

Southern Utah at home

If we win 2 of those games, we are in the conference tournament for sure. ! and we may still get in based on what everyone else does. Considering that 2 of the games are against bottom feeders, I am liking our chances. Of course anything can happen. Our road play has deffinitely improves drastically this year. Lets just win out the regular season and stay hot into the tourney.

Standings through 2/20

Montana 15-1 19-5

Weber State 14-2 19-5

North Dakota 9-8 12-14

Southern Utah 8-8 10-15

Montana State 7-9 10-14

Portland State 5-11 7-16

Idaho State 4-12 5-20

It will be really difficult for any of SUU, Sac St, NAU to gain on us.

Sac St and NAU both play at UM and MSU, plus host Weber. At least two losses there.

SUU plays at UNC and UND, and home to UM and MSU. At least three losses there IMHO.

MSU is at SUU, but home to UM, Sac St, and NAU. With the way they are playing, at least two losses.

UNC will have a very difficult time passing us, as we would have to lose all our games and they would have to go unbeaten.

With a win at either EWU or Portland St, and a win vs SUU, third place might be ours by two games.

Watch out for Eastern Washington. If they run the table they get to 10 & 10. I thought they had some nice pieces when they were in GF, but also were missing some players due to injury. That Jois has got to be Freshman of the year in the conference...in my book. He had a very indifferent first half against us, but boy was he good in the 2nd. Very talented.

Portland State is a weird team to me. They had some nice players, maybe not a lot of cohesion at times. I think they play relatively well at home.

Basically, we can't let down against any of these teams in front of us. I actually enjoy playing in a league where you don't get an easy game, even if its against a team from the bottom of the standings. It makes each game intense. Heck, Idaho State has pushed a lot of teams this year. We're not a great match up for them, so we got 2 wins, but they've caused plenty of problems for others.

Watch out for Eastern Washington. If they run the table they get to 10 & 10. I thought they had some nice pieces when they were in GF, but also were missing some players due to injury. That Jois has got to be Freshman of the year in the conference...in my book. He had a very indifferent first half against us, but boy was he good in the 2nd. Very talented.

Portland State is a weird team to me. They had some nice players, maybe not a lot of cohesion at times. I think they play relatively well at home.

Basically, we can't let down against any of these teams in front of us. I actually enjoy playing in a league where you don't get an easy game, even if its against a team from the bottom of the standings. It makes each game intense. Heck, Idaho State has pushed a lot of teams this year. We're not a great match up for them, so we got 2 wins, but they've caused plenty of problems for others.

Definitely can't take either two of those for granted. Sweep would be really nice, but one victory would be huge.

Will there ever be a day when the Big Sky basketball standings are on the front page of Siouxsports.com? They are hard to get to easily, even on the Big Sky site. Even a link would be nice. For that matter, even add a link to the women's hockey standings.

That would be nice wouldn't it but we are not hockey or football.