SiouxSports.com Forum

Big Sky Scores, Stats, & Standings

dakotadan

They could always move a potential NCHC hockey game to the Olympic Arena................ ;)

Realistically though, we're only drawing about 1,600 fans this season. I doubt it will increase all that much next year, although I hope it does. I don't think that seating space for fans would be too much of a problem in the Sioux Center next season if North Dakota did end up hosting the Big Sky Tourney. Maybe years down the road it will, and that will be nice "problem" to have to deal with.

I also believe that with a healthy roster next year, the Sioux look like they should be in the hunt for a regular season title and the right to host the tournament in 2014.

Agreed. Hopefully UND could get larger bleachers for the ends of the court on short notice if seating is an issue. What is the typical attendance for the conference tourney?? Regardless, as others have stated, it would be a great problem to have if it happened. First things first though, lets take care of SUU this weekend and surprise some people in this year's BSC tourney.

Here are the last 10 years. Italicized games did not have the home team involved in the championship game. Only twice in the last 10 years has the host team not made the finals. No clue how these compared to the host team's average attendance during the year. I would imagine the Betty would be beyond sold out if UND was playing for a chance to go to the Dance.

2003 - 10,121 Weber over EWU in Ogden

2004 - 4,615 EWU over NAU in Cheney

2005 - 1,825 Montana over Weber in Portland

2006 - 3,163 Monanta over NAU in Flagstaff

2007 - 9,178 Weber over NAU in Ogden

2008 - 4,113 Portland St over NAU in Portland

2009 - 1,546 Portland St over Montana St in Ogden

2010 - 6,308 Montana over Weber in Ogden

2011 - 3,182 UNC over Montana in Greeley

2012 - 7,042 Montana vs. Weber in Missoula

If for whatever reason the Ralph is available for the Big Sky Tournament, I think you set up the court there and host the tournament in the nicest venue in the history of the Big Sky Tournament. That would really make a name for UND around the conference with visiting fans being able to tour and check out the facility.

If the NCHC first round is held at the Ralph that same weekend, then you pack the Betty.

I'm not sure who Weber loses but Montana loses Cherry and Ward so they should come back to the pack a little, really UND should be in the hunt for home court next year based on their play recently, that would be great for the program.

Weber loses Scott Bamforth and Frank Otis

I believe this is the first year we could have hosted the Big Sky basketball tournament?

Yeah, I know. I've been hoping that when we were elegible, we'd be good enough to host in the first couple years. I had long term goals!

Montana's Mathias Ward had surgery today that will end his playing career. Unfortunate situation for what sounds like to be a fine upstanding young man.

That's a shame. Ward is a very good player and destroyed us in GF this year. Wish him the best.

Power Rankings from the Montana St. beat writer, including a nice comment about North Dakota and Troy Huff:

3. North Dakota (11-8, 14-15). Who’s left to face? Southern Utah (H). Calling it – Troy Huff earns Big Sky Conference MVP/POY or at least is in top 2 of voting. The team with no nickname is carving up its new league.

I don't know if anyone knew this one:

https://www.facebook.com/UNDathletics?fref=ts

Congratulations to North Dakota Men's Basketball for clinching a berth in the Big Sky Conference Tournament! With the win at E. Washington last night, UND set a record for the most conference wins by a team in their 1st season in The Big Sky Conference

I had seen that. However, with the conference having 11 members now, UND had 6 more games to achieve that compared to the last time they expanded when there were only 14 conference games. Still, a nice accomplishment.

Also, there has not been a large amount of "new" members either. Regardless, UND has fared better, particularly on the road, than a lot of people had thought they would.

Regardless of the outcome of Saturday's game against SUU, the Sioux will either have equal or more road wins in conference play this season. If anybody would have told me that to start the season, I would have called BS....................

Look at what you posted earlier in the season:

bincitysioux

bincitysioux

• photo-thumb-1754.jpg?_r=1341115509
  • Moderators
  • 5861 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 04:19 PM

CBSSPORTS.COM

1. Montana

2. Weber

3. North Dakota

4. EWU

5. UNC

6. Sac St.

7. Montana St.

8. Portland. St.

9. Southern Utah.

10. Idaho St.

11. Northern Arizona

Northern Colorado clinched a playoff spot and will be either the #4 or #5 seed, depending on what Montana St. does on Saturday.

Montana St. has basically clinched a spot, although not official yet.

Will Cherry was in uniform for the Griz last night, but didn't play.

Montana, Weber, and North Dakota are the only teams in the league that will finish with a winning record in conference play.

MSU is going to win and that will knock out any small hope that EWU had of making the playoffs. MSU also guarantees that the tournament will be held in Montana. MSU will be the 4 seed and play UNC.

Sac state needs NAU to win in order for them to make it. If they don't, SUU gets in.

MSU 71

Sac St 55

Final

If Northern Arizona wins, the Lumberjacks will the No. 6 seed, and our opponent on Thursday. But, that will be a tough win to come by since they are playing in Missoula tonight. If NAU loses, which would be likely, there would be 3 teams at 8-12. If EWU also would happen to win (against Weber St.), there would be 4 teams at 8-12. Anybody know who holds the tiebreakers?