SiouxSports.com Forum

Big Sky Scores, Stats, & Standings

dakotadan

Our game against Northern Arizona on Saturday will be on Fox Sports Arizona, as will NAU's Thursday game against UNC..................

Not really sure where to put this and didn't feel like starting a new thread, but here is the latest "Mid Major Basketball Poll." A couple of Big Sky Teams are in with #22 Weber State and #23 Montana...

http://www.collegein...ajor-top-25.php

Not really sure where to put this and didn't feel like starting a new thread, but here is the latest "Mid Major Basketball Poll." A couple of Big Sky Teams are in with #22 Weber State and #23 Montana...

http://www.collegein...ajor-top-25.php

If UND makes the tournament (so far it looks good) those two tall trees would have to fall early if UND has a shot or else UND would have to play a damn near perfect game to over take them. Montana we fared good for a half while Weber blew us out.

We've shown flashes of being able to play with both Montana and Weber but we've struggled with maintaining that level of play for 40 minutes or even for extended periods of time. If we get on a run come tournament time like we have the last two years we could have a shot of knocking off one of them. The problem is we'll likely have to knock off both to win the conference tournament. Going to be a tall order us or any other Big Sky team. To bet on anyone but Weber and Montana at this point would be foolish.

Standings as of 2/3/13:

12-0...........Montana

10-2...........Weber St.

7-5.............Montana St.

7-5.............Southern Utah

6-6.............North Dakota

5-6.............Sacramento St.

4-7.............Northern Arizona

4-8.............Northern Colorado

4-8.............Eastern Washington

3-9.............Portland St.

3-9.............Idaho St.

EWU over Montana St. was the only real surprise over the weekend, but given how road teams not named Montana or Weber have played this season, that wasn't a shocker either. MSU fans have to be frustrated. Had they not choked it away against the Griz a few weeks ago and beaten a very pedestrian EWU team, they'd be 9-3 right now and comfortably in 3rd place.

Northern Arizona plays at Sacramento on Monday night. Sioux fans should all be Lumberjack fans tomorrow...................

North Dakota falls into a 3 way tie for 4th place. Weber plays Idaho St. on Monday.

Standings, 2/10/13

Montana....................14-0

Weber St...................11-2

Southern Utah...........8-6

Sacramento St...........7-7

Montana St................ 7-7

North Dakota..............7-7

Northern Arizona........6-8

Northern Colorado......5-9

Eastern Washington...5-9

Idaho St.......................3-10

Portland St..................3-11

A Rundown of the Big Sky Standings

4. North Dakota / Montana State / Sacramento State (7-7)

Of the three teams, it looks like Sacramento State has the toughest road ahead. They have four road games remaining (against North Dakota, Northern Colorado, and the two Montana schools), and one of their home games is against Weber State. At best they can probably hope for 3-3. UND/Sac State will be a big game on Thursday. UND's three road games are Northern Colorado, Portland State, and Eastern Washington... plus, they are done playing Montana and Weber State for the year. That would seem to give them an upper hand here. Montana State finishes with three at home, but they play both Montana and Weber State.

Excellent chance to create separation this week with Sac. St and N. Arizona at home. We've still got our eyes on you, S. Utah!

Nice, we can call this "Seperation Weekend." This weekend is no doubt huge and hopefuly we will be at full strength with 11 players dressing.

Call me an optimist, but I think 4-2 (maybe even 5-1) to close out the season of Big Sky play is achievable. That would put our league record at 11-9 (or possibly 12-8, which sounds WAY better than 11-9 for some reason), and secure the #3 seed in the Big Sky tourney. I see us playing the Big Sky semi-final, which I would consider to be a succesful first year in the league. Anything beyond that would be a bonus, for sure.

Call me an optimist, but I think 4-2 (maybe even 5-1) to close out the season of Big Sky play is achievable. That would put our league record at 11-9 (or possibly 12-8, which sounds WAY better than 11-9 for some reason), and secure the #3 seed in the Big Sky tourney. I see us playing the Big Sky semi-final, which I would consider to be a succesful first year in the league. Anything beyond that would be a bonus, for sure.

This team definately has the talent to do that, but it will be a tall order. As we've all seen, Big Sky conference games can often be a crap shoot. The most difficult games IMO will be @ Northern Colorado and the season finale against SUU at the Sioux Center. We've already lost at home to UNC, and SUU handled us pretty easily at their place.

UND needs to get healthy the next few weeks. Schuler needs to get back, Brekke needs to get to full speed, and we need Archer back for depth.

• Upvote 1