SiouxSports.com Forum

Northern Colorado

bincitysioux

GeauxSioux... I understand your point with the third down play, but I disagree at the point it was in the game. IMO, a 5yd screen (God help me...I'm calling for the bubble screen) for a first down is a higher percentage play, and helps with field position when a field goal wins the game. If we needed a touchdown to win, I guess i'd agree with the shot downfield. In this case, I guess i'll agree to disagree. I thought it was a poor call given the game circumstances.

Either way, season is over... I had hoped we'd make the playoffs, and was truly expecting over .500 in the conference. Someone start the 2013 outlook thread, please.

I see on the Forum website Gene Taylor and NDSU are mad about the playoffs pairings. NDSU will have to play the winner of the SDSU game. They think they should of gotten a weaker team. I remember 3 years ago NDSU backed into the playoffs after getting shutout by Missouri State in the last game of the year. NDSU was the last team in to get into the playoffs and they even got to host a first round game. Gene Taylor wasn't complaining that year.

NDSU did get the easiest potential quarterfinal game as they should as the #1 seed. But the play-in games and where they are in the bracket is a joke. You have SDSU and E. Illinois playing each other and Villanova and Stony Brook playing each other with NDSU and Montana State getting the winners meanwhile you have Coastal Carolina playing Bethune Cookman and Colgate playing Wagner to get to Old Dominion and Eastern Washington. Those 4 teams(C. Carolina, Bethune Cookman, Wagner, and Colgate) are teams UND should schedule to get easy D1 wins and get your 2nd and 3rd string reps....so not only does NDSU potentially get the best of those 8 teams to play they also get a conference foe as well....meanwhile the CAA is protected in that none of their teams would have to meet until the semi-finals while the MVC has a potential 2nd round matchup and Cal Poly if they get by SHSU would have Montana St. in the quarters.

So if you realisticly look at the 8 teams playing the playin games you have #1 playing #4 and #2 playing #3 while the bottome 4 teams play each other.(3 were autobids that if they weren't would not be in and somehow Coastal Carolina got a bid over probably 8 or 9 teams that would boatrace them.

I see on the Forum website Gene Taylor and NDSU are mad about the playoffs pairings. NDSU will have to play the winner of the SDSU game. They think they should of gotten a weaker team. I remember 3 years ago NDSU backed into the playoffs after getting shutout by Missouri State in the last game of the year. NDSU was the last team in to get into the playoffs and they even got to host a first round game. Gene Taylor wasn't complaining that year.

Taylor b****hes about everything.

The FCS playoffs are about money and minimizing travel expenses: they have a budget to be concerned about. EIU to SDSU is a bus trip. SDSU to NDSU is certainly a bus trip. The FCS playoff committee isn't going to send a Florida or East Coast team to Fargo unless there is no other way. To somewhere like Cheney, a team is going to have to fly. But by setting up an SDSU to Fargo trip, it saves money. Why send SDSU/EIU to Cheney with a flight, and then send an east coast team to Fargo? To save money. The FCS playoffs, especially with the expansion to 24 coming up, can not run deficits.

The same crap is done in the NCAA basketball tournament to sell tickets and save travel expenses.

No, but a penalty, a first down, closer for FG range, or more, thats the game! ! 2 refs staring at it, talk about homers. There should be a

protest of some sort and possible forfeit.

the point is that the playcalls were still poor. they might have even won, but thats not the point.

The FCS playoffs are about money and minimizing travel expenses: they have a budget to be concerned about. EIU to SDSU is a bus trip. SDSU to NDSU is certainly a bus trip. The FCS playoff committee isn't going to send a Florida or East Coast team to Fargo unless there is no other way. To somewhere like Cheney, a team is going to have to fly. But by setting up an SDSU to Fargo trip, it saves money.

i think this level of regionalization is pretty JV. The one seed should be facing the easiest bracket, not the hardest.

also, why is this in this thread?

i think this level of regionalization is pretty JV. The one seed should be facing the easiest bracket, not the hardest.

Teams are not seeded in the FCS, except the top 5. Teams outside the top 5 get home games by bidding the highest.

It may be JV, but the FCS is JV, so what's your point? National advertisers are not exactly jumping out of their shorts to support the FCS. The FCS playoffs have a budget to live under.

• Upvote 1

Looking at the playoff bracket is all the more reason that their needs to be a sense of urgency for our football program.

There are 4 teams in the field that I would lay 10-14 points on UND and 2-3 others that would be a pick-em. It doesn't take much to be a top 15 team in the FCS....we need to get their quckly and then worry about getting to the top 8-10 level which is another big jump.

The FCS playoffs are about money and minimizing travel expenses: they have a budget to be concerned about. EIU to SDSU is a bus trip. SDSU to NDSU is certainly a bus trip. The FCS playoff committee isn't going to send a Florida or East Coast team to Fargo unless there is no other way. To somewhere like Cheney, a team is going to have to fly. But by setting up an SDSU to Fargo trip, it saves money. Why send SDSU/EIU to Cheney with a flight, and then send an east coast team to Fargo? To save money. The FCS playoffs, especially with the expansion to 24 coming up, can not run deficits.

The same crap is done in the NCAA basketball tournament to sell tickets and save travel expenses.

Reading comprehension is not sultan's strong suit. The article he's referencing doesn't say what he claims it does. The author of the article(Kevin Schnepf - not necessarily known as one of the sharpest sporks in the drawer) is the one saying NDSU should be facing an easier opponent. The only quote in the article from GT is in regards to something the chair of the selection committee said during the bracket announcement. The chair said SDSU was one of the last two teams in the field. GT happens to disagree with that(I happen to feel the same way). You, me and GT all know that geography is the primary factor when selecting matchups; it's Schnepf that doesn't seem to get it. (Kolpack & Izzo as well for that matter) Now, Schnepf uses GT's quote(probably a little out of context) to bolster his case, but that doesn't mean GT agrees with his premise.

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/380816/

Reading comprehension is not sultan's strong suit. The article he's referencing doesn't say what he claims it does. The author of the article(Kevin Schnepf - not necessarily known as one of the sharpest sporks in the drawer) is the one saying NDSU should be facing an easier opponent. The only quote in the article from GT is in regards to something the chair of the selection committee said during the bracket announcement. The chair said SDSU was one of the last two teams in the field. GT happens to disagree with that(I happen to feel the same way). You, me and GT all know that geography is the primary factor when selecting matchups; it's Schnepf that doesn't seem to get it. (Kolpack & Izzo as well for that matter) Now, Schnepf uses GT's quote(probably a little out of context) to bolster his case, but that doesn't mean GT agrees with his premise.

http://www.inforum.c...icle/id/380816/

I agree. obviously the autobids are not considered as to who gets in when. Coastal Carolina, Colgate, Wagner, and Bethune Cookman are all teams that would not be in this field if not for the autobids so technically SDSU got in after them.

As they say upon further review. Without that extra player by Northern Colorado we could very possibly ran for a first down on that last play. With the penalty being called as it should of been we more than likely win that game. What a major blown call by the officials. The play call on the 4th down could of been a successful play if other factors hadn't entered in. I guess we just need to move on and hope we improve our defense next year. I am still mad about the 3rd down call though.

• Upvote 1

Barf! Muss just said on radio we were a few plays away from winnig and our d wqs playing toe to toe with unc offense

No surprise there...typical Muss. Did he also say "I flat out blew an opportunity for my players to win the game with my inept decision making"!!!

A head coaching job for football isn't just a Faison decisions, but also a decision that Kelley has to buy into: especially for a firing and the financial aspect. Mussman's contract includes all types of issues of the field: academics and suspension and criminal acts. By that mesure, Mussman has passes with flying colors.

If before the season, we were told UND's record would be the same as Montana's, I'm sure we would all take that.

So is UC Davis sacking their coach? Davis is by far the biggest disappointment, considering what they should be capable of.

A head coaching job for football isn't just a Faison decisions, but also a decision that Kelley has to buy into: especially for a firing and the financial aspect. Mussman's contract includes all types of issues of the field: academics and suspension and criminal acts. By that mesure, Mussman has passes with flying colors.

If before the season, we were told UND's record would be the same as Montana's, I'm sure we would all take that.

So is UC Davis sacking their coach? Davis is by far the biggest disappointment, considering what they should be capable of.

Montana's season has left their fan base reeling. Hell no I don't want a losing record, I want a team that wins the close games and doesn't get blown out by not showing up. Your post needs a good dose of pink font. This season was a complete failure.

Davis' coach is retiring by the way.

I know most of you are disappointed with the season, and I understand that...we certainly had the potential for a winning season. Hopefully things get turned around soon.

I'd just like to thank all of you fans and students for cheering on my cousin during his last year of eligibility. He played backup for so long at North Carolina, so we were elated to see him get a starting job, and in a town that half our family is from. Hopefully UND builds a strong incoming class next year and makes the playoffs. I'll be watching UND football for many years to come!

We loved watching him play. He is a great talent and we were lucky to have him.

We loved watching him play. He is a great talent and we were lucky to have him.

More than just a great talent on the field, he seemed like a young man of great character off of it. He came from an FBS school and I never once heard a hint of arrogance in any public comment. He demonstrated poise and polish beyond his years when dealing with the media. He credited his teammates when things went well and shouldered the blame when the game didn't goes as we all hoped. I can't imagine he'll be anything but a great success in anything he chooses to do with the rest of his life. I'd love to see him stay around for a year or two as a GA or assistant to mentor our young QB's but best of luck to him where ever his future leads him.

• Upvote 1

Maybe this has been mentioned somewhere else, but I see the BSC had a press release tonight that the officials missed a penalty on UNC on UND's final offensive play, the infamous 4th and 1 at the 34. UNC had 12 men on the field, but neither the refs or apparently UND caught it and the play ran through, they must have picked it up reviewing the game later. Am I wrong or wasn't that coming out of a timeout? Who has too many men after a timeout?

Too bad they didn't catch it on the spot, would have bailed UND out of their questionable play call, but I guess it's good the league is upfront admitting they screwed up.

http://www.bigskyconf.com/news/2012/11/19/FB_1119125546.aspx