SiouxSports.com Forum

Montana game

geaux_sioux

Everyone needs to calm down. Yes we had high hopes going into this season. But everyone that looked at our schedule said that it was probably the toughest in the Big Sky. Did anyone really think that we were going to walk into this conference and go 7-1, 6-2 in the conference? You can be optimistic, but I will be realistic.

The team has played bad defensively....we all know that. But as bad as we have looked tackling and covering receivers We have had a chance to win all our games except for the E. Wash. game. 3 of our loses (SDSU, Cal Poly, N. Ariz.) we have been within a score in the 4th quarter. And those were all good teams!! Top 20 FCS teams. So looking at the loses we have, if we would have been able to close out in the 4th quarter of those game, it would be a totally different outlook on this season.

Unfortunately, football is a 60 minute game, not 30 or 45.

Unfortunately, football is a 60 minute game, not 30 or 45.

I agree. My point was it is not like we are getting beat like we did by EWU every game. We are right in these games with top 20 teams in the country. We aren't there yet, but the team isn't as bad as people want to say they are. I suppose after 3 straight loses people get a little frustrated. All I am saying is to put things in perspective.

• Upvote 2

I agree. My point was it is not like we are getting beat like we did by EWU every game. We are right in these games with top 20 teams in the country. We aren't there yet, but the team isn't as bad as people want to say they are. I suppose after 3 straight loses people get a little frustrated. All I am saying is to put things in perspective.

It's the defense and sometimes suspect coaching that frustrates me.

• Upvote 2

Nobody is saying that the offense or special teams suck. In fact, the special teams is very good in alot of aspects and the offense is outstanding. It's the defense that is pissing people off. We all know that you can't do a damn thing without a good defense. If our D were to give the offense 6 stops a game we would be undefeated right now. That is how good the offense is and how bad the defense is. The end result is a team that is in every game but can't close teams out because they can't stop them. And on nights when things don't go right for the offense and we get a few bad luck plays EWU happens. This team could be great but thanks to the defense they're far from it.

Never as good as it seems or as bad as it seems. I'd love for this team to win every game as well but our schedule has been brutal to say the least. There will be some decisions to be made in the offseason. The coaches now have seen first hand what the best of the Big Sky week in and week out has to offer....we have some holes to fill. The players need to make a commitment to this team. There has to be a commitment to staying in Grand Forks during the offseason and getting the most out of those workouts. The formula is there, past teams who have been successful have had 80% or better during the summer months. And we are not playing DII anymore. This should be an expectation.

• Upvote 1

Never as good as it seems or as bad as it seems. I'd love for this team to win every game as well but our schedule has been brutal to say the least. There will be some decisions to be made in the offseason. The coaches now have seen first hand what the best of the Big Sky week in and week out has to offer....we have some holes to fill. The players need to make a commitment to this team. There has to be a commitment to staying in Grand Forks during the offseason and getting the most out of those workouts. The formula is there, past teams who have been successful have had 80% or better during the summer months. And we are not playing DII anymore. This should be an expectation.

100% agree!

Ok, I know this game has lost some of it's luster with the way that both teams seasons are playing out, but I still find it a bit odd that there is so little chatter about this game from the Griz fans. I have yet to see a Griz fan post on siouxsports this week. AlphaGriz was here a few weeks ago, but not lately. I also went to egriz last evening and found no chatter/talk about this game. Going in to the season, I figured this would be the week that would have quite a bit of action in the football forums, especially considering the fan interest of Griz nation. I haven't posted much myself just because I have been so disgusted with how the season has played, primarily with the defensive side of the ball. As the saying goes, if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it at all. So I will continue to bite my tongue for bit longer, but there better be something positive out of the defense these next few weeks. If not, count me in the group who wants to see some coaching changes...

Edit: Guess I have to edit this statement. Just went to Egriz and saw there is now a thread for the game...although it was started by one of our own... Bincitysioux...

The chatter about the UND-Griz game is finally starting to pick up on egriz. I came across a video preview of the UND...er should I say Fighting Sioux-Griz Matchup. This guy also seems to think Hendrickson will be the QB on Saturday...enjoy...

http://www.egriz.com...php?f=1&t=59546

The football gameplan guy means well but usually is talking out of his ass based only on stats and assumptions

• Upvote 1

The football gameplan guy means well but usually is talking out of his ass based only on stats and assumptions

Yeah, that's kind of what I got out of it too. I haven't seen any of his other work, but it's nice to see UND Football being discussed and exposed to another new audience (if anyone watches it) with this preview. It was also kind of nice to be called the Fighting Sioux again...

• Upvote 1

Yeah, that's kind of what I got out of it too. I haven't seen any of his other work, but it's nice to see UND Football being discussed and exposed to another new audience (if anyone watches it) with this preview. It was also kind of nice to be called the Fighting Sioux again..

I've seen others of his and he's always full of it and never has a clue what he's actually talking about. Bison fans love him cause he kisses their asses

Ive been trying to get a hotel room for two weeks now and everything is sold out! Is this game sold out?

Plenty of tickets in the very end sections. Some single seats between the 20s, otherwise it is pretty much full except for near the top of a couple sections. Hotel rooms are tough to come by almost every weekend in Grand Forks, but I'm guessing that a lot of Montana fans will be in town.

Should be a good game and a good crowd as Montana always travels well, would be nice to see something close to a sellout for a change. 3 weeks ago I would have said Griz by 17, now it looks like a toss-up, especially if Moore is still out.

Wish I could make this one but I'm taking my kid to the Supercross event in Vegas and of course it had to fall on the same weekend...figure the odds (no pun intended).

Take a look at the earlier post with the rankings for the last three teams we played. Made some plays on defense and we led Cal Poly in the 4th quarter. Hendrickson has a bad game and can't hit a fat pig in the ass with a hand full of gravel or we should win that one. East Wash was an embarassment. That is a score we might expect if we play a FBS top 20 school. No excuse. Hendrickson struggles and the defense never left the airport. Against N. Arizona our d-backs gave a bigger cushions than a hug from Dolly Parton. Not sure why Mackey wasn't replaced. We had to have a number of kids who could have given 15 yd cushions then jumped on the recievers back (if they could) as they went by. Might as well get them some game time. Linbackers didn't show up. Too many missed tackles and missed assignments. That is another game we should have won. I really don't care to compare with our little sister to the south. They are very good and very young. We need to take care of ourselves. Starts with fundamentals. Kids need to be assignment sharp, can miss tackles, Can't drop passes. We have maybe the most talented group of wide receivers we have ever had, but they don't run disciplined routes, they drop passes, tkae dumb-ass penalties and fumble. All of those things are correctable. I really haven't kept up enough paying attention to the details of our schemes and adjustments to think we have a coaching issue. As long as we miss as many takles as we do, missed assignments and play undisciplined FB it is hard to get to Offensive and defensive play calling. I know game preparation and discipline are a coaching responsibility but that is a responibility for team captains and most of all the players.

Montana is another game we should win. Defense needs to get better each week. My concern is they haven't. As long as we have kids missing tackles and missing assignments, we will struggle to put games away. Fan support has been only lukewarm. Student support is much better this year but we need to build on that. They finally have done some things with the fraternities and sororities. I would try and expand that to the dorms. We need to improve the video coverage and remember people at games like to see themselves on the screen. With hunting season upon us, it will be interesting to see how that cuts into attendence. UND should be giving away tickets to area schools and giving group discounts to area businesses. There is room for 3,000 more fans at each game. UND band is excellent and has become a bigger part of the game, before, during and after.

Also Faison should have been on the phone yesterday to see if we could fill the Gopher games with UNC. Tell Hanson to call his old AD and coach and get it set up. Would be great game on schedule and timing good with them on probation. If we can't get UNC get the Gopher games. Payouts for either schools should be good. Need to be aggressive. Saturday will be agreat day for FB.

• Upvote 4

Great post as usual Ira. In regards to the defense I really think the coaches recognized the need at LB and that is why they recuited 5 in last years class. I won't be surprised to see them get aggressive at that position again this year along with secondary. Saturday is going to be a lot of fun.

Great post as usual Ira. In regards to the defense I really think the coaches recognized the need at LB and that is why they recuited 5 in last years class. I won't be surprised to see them get aggressive at that position again this year along with secondary. Saturday is going to be a lot of fun.

And d line, they got two cornerstone types in Edwards and Carrothers last year but they need more to replace the seniors. It doesn't seem like the younger D linemen seem like anything to get excited about other than the two true freshman I mentioned.

And d line, they got two cornerstone types in Edwards and Carrothers last year but they need more to replace the seniors. It doesn't seem like the younger D linemen seem like anything to get excited about other than the two true freshman I mentioned.

I don't disagree but i think Welch (sp?) could be a guy that could be a big DE for us if needed. I also am still big on Cummings. I think he is going to finish as a good one. Edwards from everything I have heard needs some expierence on the DL but has all the tools to be a stud next season. But I agree, we need to get some depth there and better play.