SiouxSports.com Forum

Hockey Video Quality Issues?

BigChief

same here other than the sync up. I have Directv and I have the same washed-out too bright ice picture as always. Half the time you can't even read the logo at center, but it's been like that in the past. Some games are better than others.

We watched on a different TV than last year but it still seems like a weaker picture.

I really don't care about the backdrop of the announcers as much as I do of the 1986 vintage video quality and the audio being off by about 2 seconds. It's 2012 and this is unacceptable in my opinion. I would rather watch a webcast than this junk. I'm not even going to go down the road of complaining about the lack of HD - just get the picture\audio problems fixed - or at least into the 1990's.

agreed!

I dont know if Midco is using the old home movie cameras but the picture has been terrible all year.

And the audio being off by a second or so makes it even more bush league

Heck I've seen "Hillbilly high school football games" (from Eastern Kentucky) with better production values than this

What is amazing is Midco covers 3 different teams (UND, USD and SDSU) and the video quality has varied so much between the teams. Now this is coming off the feed that Midco beams up on satellite

The SDSU game looked pretty good yesterday

The USD games in the dome look real washed out. Last weeks game outside against NDSU wasn't too bad

The UND football games dont look bad but the hockey games are really bad (washed out....sometimes even blurry). There are times its real hard to see the picture

But hey we got a penalty clock....I know everyone whined about not having that before

agreed!

I dont know if Midco is using the old home movie cameras but the picture has been terrible all year.

And the audio being off by a second or so makes it even more bush league

Heck I've seen "Hillbilly high school football games" (from Eastern Kentucky) with better production values than this

That is really scary since many of those kids and their parents have never been more than 50 miles from where they were born in their lifes.

I really wish UND or someone from the sports department would address these issues. I think we are all very lucky that we get the opportunity to watch the hockey games on TV, so I am thankful for that. But it's dissapointing when last year the quaility was so much better. In the cities, FCS is also showing a snowy blurry picture. And the audio for the video---WOW----forget it. I just mute the TV now in between periods.

Anyone from UND want to address our concerns or maybe someone from Midco???

The picture quality on FCS is much worse than it was last year. That is no doubt, but I have been told by the apologists on here to keep quiet and be PATIENT. I watched a college Rugby game on an internet feed of my nephews Friday afternoon (small HD camera you can buy at any outlet big box store), and the quality was multiple times better than the Midco/FCS video. It is too bad we have made these huge steps backwords. I have little hope in the athletic department to keep their word on anything regarding viewing of games outside the ND, SD, MN area in the future. They have been silent on this issue and looks to be ignoring folks.

That is really scary since many of those kids and their parents have never been more than 50 miles from where they were born in their lifes.

yeah I know. Those games are funny as the announcers ramble on about the drive there to ____________ school and what's for dinner on the ride home then they do the game. Scary thing? The games are on the CBS affiliate there (WYMT Hazard, KY)...yes its a real place

I am very thankful we have televised games AND a penalty clock however it is frustrating to see such a significant loss of quality ( audio\video ) in just one year. Out of curiosity I went back and looked at numerous games I have tivod from last year and there is not even a slight doubt that the quality has significantly dropped from last year to this year. There are times this year where I cannot even see the puck let alone players numbers on their jerseys. I am viewing the games via Directv -> FCS this year and last year so I think the comparison is pretty fair. Has anyone else been able to test this?

Out of curiosity I went back and looked at numerous games I have tivod from last year and there is not even a slight doubt that the quality has significantly dropped from last year to this year. There are times this year where I cannot even see the puck let alone players numbers on their jerseys. I am viewing the games via Directv -> FCS this year and last year so I think the comparison is pretty fair. Has anyone else been able to test this?

Oh I have games from last year that were from the UNDSN/FSSN and there is CLEARLY a better picture on those versus the Midco ones

I'm not missing the point at all. I'm saying there is 2 1/2 hour minimum broadcast going on. The heart of the broadcast is the game not the pre. period and post game segments. Midco is not the FSSN. It is it's own company that is advertising it's own product.

No, I think you do miss it. I am raising one aspect of criticism. As mentioned by others,the video and audio are problems are a more significant points of criticism. However, Midco is the exclusive broadcast provider of North Dakota home hockey games. Couldn't they at least acknowledge it with some UND logo when broadcasting from the booth? It is a small matter, but could easily be fixed and would make the broadcast better for UND exposure and would look better.

So I'm at the bar last night and I beg them to get the game on. The bar owner turns the game on and asks do they shoot these games on a home video camera. He then proceeds to change the game to the Alabama football game because he thought the feed was horrible. I agree and had to watch on the live chat. I too watch all the games on directv through fcs and the feed this year is horrible and washed out. Who knows how to fix this, I guess a crappy feed is better than no feed

The picture quality on FCS is much worse than it was last year. That is no doubt, but I have been told by the apologists on here to keep quiet and be PATIENT. I watched a college Rugby game on an internet feed of my nephews Friday afternoon (small HD camera you can buy at any outlet big box store), and the quality was multiple times better than the Midco/FCS video. It is too bad we have made these huge steps backwords. I have little hope in the athletic department to keep their word on anything regarding viewing of games outside the ND, SD, MN area in the future. They have been silent on this issue and looks to be ignoring folks.

They certainly have not. Hajdu was posting on here after the first game.

So disappointing. Both the video quality and the production quality has significalntly declined. It's an embarrasment for a top notch D1 program with such loyal fans and alum to provide such a pathetic product. I think Pat Sweeney and crew did a great job. I really miss them!

of a copy of a copy... Couple more copies needed.

copy copy copy copy copy copy copy copy copy copy copy copy copy copy copy copy copy copy copy copy copy copy copy copy copy copy copy copy copy copy copy copy copy copy copy copy copy copy copy copy copy copy copy copy copy copy copy copy copy copy copy copy copy copy copy copy copy copy copy copy copy copy copy copy copy copy copy copy copy copy copy copy copy copy copy copy copy copy copy copy copy copy copy copy copy copy copy copy copy copy copy copy copy copy.

I bet the copies are still clearer... ;-)

ok it sounds like we all agree, we are in a shiitty situation here, the UND administration didn't do their faithful Sioux fans any favors yet again, and we all have to sacrifice yet again more again of what we had and loved. I am no expert on what it takes to convert to HD (I've heard people speak of the need for new equipment outside of the obvious camera upgrade required) yet I wonder if the following solution wouldn't work:

Instead of having MIDCO buy new HD cameras, have the Ralph buy them. The Ralph should have some money or a credit line? After all they have no maintenance on a mortgage correct?

Further, I think they should start a fund raising campaign to help cover the costs. How many fans that watch on TV would chip in? I would write a check for a couple of bucks if I thought it might give me a picture to watch the Sioux play all year. How many bars and restaurants in the region would chip in to be able to have the game on in a functional way?

Then the cameras are there to stay and if MIDCO losses the contract next time we will still have HD?

Anyway I would love for the UND administration to respond to all of our concerns with something other than their usual method of explaining the situation as an excuse. Lets's see if they can come up with a SOLUTION to the problem for once other than the sorry folkes but it has to be that way because it is in your best interests to have us take things away from you!

Go SIOUX!!

I really wish UND or someone from the sports department would address these issues. I think we are all very lucky that we get the opportunity to watch the hockey games on TV, so I am thankful for that. But it's dissapointing when last year the quaility was so much better. In the cities, FCS is also showing a snowy blurry picture. And the audio for the video---WOW----forget it. I just mute the TV now in between periods.

Anyone from UND want to address our concerns or maybe someone from Midco???

I tweeted jason on friday night and was told that the video is fine in the press box and that the video is no worse thanblasf year.

This is the frustrating part....why i am i continually told there isnt an issue, when judging by the continuous negative feedback from fans there IS an issue.

When normal folk who normally dont watch UND hockey watch and ask aloud why its such crappy video i dont think its time to keep yoir head in the sand.

Its like they're crappin in my mouth and telling me its honey.

• Upvote 1

ok it sounds like we all agree, we are in a shiitty situation here, the UND administration didn't do their faithful Sioux fans any favors yet again, and we all have to sacrifice yet again more again of what we had and loved. I am no expert on what it takes to convert to HD (I've heard people speak of the need for new equipment outside of the obvious camera upgrade required) yet I wonder if the following solution wouldn't work:

Instead of having MIDCO buy new HD cameras, have the Ralph buy them. The Ralph should have some money or a credit line? After all they have no maintenance on a mortgage correct?

Further, I think they should start a fund raising campaign to help cover the costs. How many fans that watch on TV would chip in? I would write a check for a couple of bucks if I thought it might give me a picture to watch the Sioux play all year. How many bars and restaurants in the region would chip in to be able to have the game on in a functional way?

Then the cameras are there to stay and if MIDCO losses the contract next time we will still have HD?

Anyway I would love for the UND administration to respond to all of our concerns with something other than their usual method of explaining the situation as an excuse. Lets's see if they can come up with a SOLUTION to the problem for once other than the sorry folkes but it has to be that way because it is in your best interests to have us take things away from you!

Go SIOUX!!

I am not a huge fan of what UND and Midco have done with the quality of coverage but I will say this, HD will be at UND next year. I'm assuming that since the signing of the contract wasn't done until late summer that Midco didn't have time to convert everything to HD. It is not like you can go out and outfit a truck with HD at the drop of a hat, it takes time. My guess is once UND's sporting season is over with Midco will get right to work on getting everything converted to HD. By the way, a "couple bucks" won't even come close to covering the cost for HD, you are looking at about a 2 million dollar (or more) expense to get everything converted to HD.