SiouxSports.com Forum

Hockey Video Quality Issues?

BigChief

Watched the game last night after youth hockey on the dvr. Quality was just fine, similar to any other sporting event on an SD channel.

If you want poor quality and live in the Bemidji PBS market, check out a BSU game some time. What I see on the Midco Sports Network is LIGHT YEARS ahead.

I emailed Direct TV to see if they planned on picking up Midco's sports package in 2013 and this is the response I got:

"Thank you for writing. I understand your inquiry about getting the Midco sports package.

We do not have plans to add this channel on our programming lineup; however, I took the liberty of forwarding your channel request to our programming team.

Our goal is to continue to expand our programming and technology offerings, in order to bring the best television entertainment experience available. Visit our web site at http://directv.com, the best place to find the newest channels and more.

We appreciate your time.

Sincerely,

Adelin P. 100198304

DIRECTV Customer Service"

I emailed Direct TV to see if they planned on picking up Midco's sports package in 2013 and this is the response I got:

"Thank you for writing. I understand your inquiry about getting the Midco sports package.

We do not have plans to add this channel on our programming lineup; however, I took the liberty of forwarding your channel request to our programming team.

Our goal is to continue to expand our programming and technology offerings, in order to bring the best television entertainment experience available. Visit our web site at http://directv.com, the best place to find the newest channels and more.

We appreciate your time.

Sincerely,

Adelin P. 100198304

You would think that it would be a benefit to Midco to sell this to Direct/Dish. If available to more viewers means more ad revenue and more national ads which pay more that local ads.

You would think that it would be a benefit to Midco to sell this to Direct/Dish. If available to more viewers means more ad revenue and more national ads which pay more that local ads.

Of course it would be a benefit for Midco. They have stated that they are trying to make it happen by next fall. The question will be whether they can convince the satellite companies that it is a good idea. The email quoted above says that they don't currently have plans to add Midco. They are going to say that until a deal is done. It doesn't mean that the satellite companies will or won't add Midco Sports, only time (or an inside source) can tell us.

We appreciate your time.

Sincerely,

Adelin P. 100198304

I emailed Midco and asked them if they considered putting their Midco Sports on DirecTV and they said not at this time, I wrote back you might want to recosider.

Watched the game last night after youth hockey on the dvr. Quality was just fine, similar to any other sporting event on an SD channel.

If you want poor quality and live in the Bemidji PBS market, check out a BSU game some time. What I see on the Midco Sports Network is LIGHT YEARS ahead.

Do you have midco? Those of us without midco have noticed a sub-par sd broadcast. And aren't the bemidji Games available hd in much of Minnesota? Here in grand forks I can pick up a great widescreen sd picture ota with a set of rabbit ears. Now their picture has greatly improved this year over last. Kudos to them!

Do you have midco? Those of us without midco have noticed a sub-par sd broadcast. And aren't the bemidji Games available hd in much of Minnesota? Here in grand forks I can pick up a great widescreen sd picture ota with a set of rabbit ears. Now their picture has greatly improved this year over last. Kudos to them!

No, 3rd party, Arvig.

Lakeland is SD here. The picture in the BSU games is more washed out than the feed from FSSN or Midco Sports has ever been.

Replay of Saturday night game is on right now. I suspect that is the quality some of you are seeing when it is on live. If so, I agree that it is a horse$hit production. It is so far from the quality that I have been seeing on a live broadcast. Maybe knowing that there is a major difference will help to get something fixed??

No, 3rd party, Arvig.

Lakeland is SD here. The picture in the BSU games is more washed out than the feed from FSSN or Midco Sports has ever been.

Can you pick up Lakeland/PBS Minnesota ota with a set of rabbit ears? I can pick this game up with a set of rabbit ears near grand forks on 3 different channels and the picture isn't hd but is better than what even midco offers in grand forks.

Can you pick up Lakeland/PBS Minnesota ota with a set of rabbit ears? I can pick this game up with a set of rabbit ears near grand forks on 3 different channels and the picture isn't hd but is better than what even midco offers in grand forks.

I know that they have a pretty good set up there in Bemidji... How does one get LPTV at home on your TV if you have DirecTV?

I know that they have a pretty good set up there in Bemidji... How does one get LPTV at home on your TV if you have DirecTV?

It's part of the locals for those of us in MN on channels 22 and/or 17. Not sure about GF or ND subscribers. Maybe try getting it the old fashioned way with an OTA antenna???

http://www.antennasd...store/DB4e.html

An excellent ota antenna. Don't know if directtv receivers do this, but you can hook up a dish receiver via coax from one of these antennas, then scan the local channels in to your dish guide. Works great, I'd guess you could get Bemidji PBS as well as all local GF networks.

This one will work inside your house, although outside on the roof is always best. Note the review is from PSB.

We have DirecTv and have a couple of the digital boxes on our smaller, analog televisions. We can pull in LPTV on channel 3-3 in Bismarck, so we are able to get all Bemidji home games.

http://www.antennasd...store/DB4e.html

An excellent ota antenna. Don't know if directtv receivers do this, but you can hook up a dish receiver via coax from one of these antennas, then scan the local channels in to your dish guide. Works great, I'd guess you could get Bemidji PBS as well as all local GF networks.

This one will work inside your house, although outside on the roof is always best.

I wish I was halfway technical, I just realized you guys are speaking a foreign language that I no idea what you said, I may have to hire Sprig to set it up for me if he gets to Grand Forks, ND. The BSU hockey television guy is a major homer.. :) J.K. Scott is a friend of mine, I wish I could watch him call a few games.

Edited by Goon

I wish I was halfway technical, I just realized you guys are speaking a foreign language that I no idea what you said, I may have to hire Sprig to set it up for me if he gets to Grand Forks, ND. The BSU hockey television guy is a major homer.. :) J.K. Scott is a friend of mine, I wish I could watch him call a few games.

This is not really technical, it's just an antenna, like rabbit ears on steroids, it will get you all locals, and the db4 is multidirectional and will reach 65 miles. The directv hd dvr (the model 21 or later) will scan the locals into your guide, if you hook up the antenna to it (should be an antenna in coax jack on the back). You missed me, I was there for Duluth.

And the db4e is around $50 from amazon or ebay, another 20 gets you the antenna mast (j mount). You may find a pile of dish or directv masts around, which will work also, for free. Many installers have a pile of them. I think I have one on the floor in my garage (don't remember if I through it or not).

Goon all I use right outside of Gf is a set of rabbit ears and it works just fine. I get PBS 3 for bemidji games on 3 channels. 2.3, 13.3, and 16.3. I forget if these are on VHF or UHF but just try with an old fashioned set that has the rabbit ears and loop on the base. Give it a shot!

UHF, and where better to pick up straight line ota signals than the RRV. The coteau between me and Minot/Williston/Bismarck cuts me off from ota tv.

I got sick of paying $100 plus a month for tv long ago. Around grand forka Ota you get CBS, wdaz, wday, cw, wdaz weather, fox, kvly, this tv, and 4 different PBS channels. The following are hd......CBS, abc, fox, NBC, and 1 PBS. And best of all it's free!

And thanks for the info on the db4e. I'm gonna give it a try:)

I got sick of paying $100 plus a month for tv long ago. Around grand forka Ota you get CBS, wdaz, wday, cw, wdaz weather, fox, kvly, this tv, and 4 different PBS channels. The following are hd......CBS, abc, fox, NBC, and 1 PBS. And best of all it's free!

And thanks for the info on the db4e. I'm gonna give it a try:)

My bill for DirecTV is kind of high I think it's 110.00 till January when I have to re-do it because I am going to lose a few specials. but I am bitting the bullet and paying it.

Hey goon I just got that db4e antenna that sprig was showing. $55 shipped to my door. I'm missing the 2 VHF channels I got with rabbit ears but picked up another mn PBS channel. And it's the Minnesota PBS channel....and in hd! Channel 15-5. Hopeful I can pick up the beavers in hd....at no additional cost to me;)

Edit....just read Lakeland plays the games in hd in bemidji and distributes in sd to PBS. But I've never got this PBS channel in hd so maybe there's a chance.