SiouxSports.com Forum

Hockey Video Quality Issues?

BigChief

Is it just me or is the Hockey video quality, both online and on cable, poor this year?

On TV last week vs Manitoba the image was pretty weak (soft/blurry) and barely acceptable.

Online last night the image was so blurry that I couldn't read the numbers on the back of jerseys or read the score on the on screen score board. I have no buffering issues or pixalation. The issue is that the video itself is not crisp, like in previous years, or like the other schools provide.

Maybe this is because of the new Fargo production crew's equipment?

Midco used a new format last night that should have been a bit better than before, but didn't get the message to all the cable co's that buy the feed, so only midco cable users could see it. They switched back late in the second period, need a post from midco cable users if they saw a difference from the first half of the game to the second half, as no one else saw the first half. Have no idea why the web stream is so poor.

Midco cable probably gets a direct feed so there wouldnt be a difference picture wise.

Midco screwed up...plain and simple. The quality for the games has been less than stellar. Heck a couple weeks ago I saw a USD Coyote football game and the main (wide) picture was so washed out it was just Turribull. Was really hard to watch

The webcast quality has been horrible the last two games (Manitoba and USA). This is unacceptable! I'm a proud alum and have supported the webcast service when I'm out of town, or at friends house that don't have the ability to get all Sioux home games on TV with their cable or dish provider for years.

My internet connection speeds are superior, there's no question I'm good there. It's just truly unfortunate UND Athletics signed a deal with Midco Sports Network and let "quality" within the product/service regress from pervious years.

Midco Sports Network while paying UND and settling on a contract, must have had a really good salesman on their hands during negotiations. :whistling:

Bottom Line: Very unacceptable!!!

The broadcast looked good last night but I have midco in Sioux Falls. Looked alot better then the FSSN broadcasts i seen on Midco in the past years, they need to get a smaller onscreen score board, that thing takes up too small of room. Its needs to be like Fox Sports North style, small in the upper corner, or atleast thinner and stuck to the top of the screen like on NBCSN, The powerplay graphic takes up quite a bit of room.

I just moved to Rapid City and switched from DTV to Midco. I thought the picture quality for both games was worse than I saw on FCS via DTV. It wasn't terrible, just soft when viewed from the center ice cam. When zoomed in or from other cams it looks ok. I guess I'm disappointed as I was hoping for an improvement after the move.

• 2 weeks later...

I would suggest to Midco that they put some North Dakota or UND logo behind Dan Hammer in the hockey booth. Seeing only the Midco logos really looks poor. From the look alone, you can't tell what home game they are broadcasting.

I admit I didn't watch the coverage, but how many times during the 2 1/2 hour broadcast did they take that shot? My guess is during each of the two intermissions, but during that time they were likely showing highlights from the UND game they were broadcasting. I guess there is the chance someone tunes in, only watches for 30 seconds, doesn't listen to any of the audio, has no idea who is playing and changes the channel, thus meaning their all-star hockey playing son won't be exposed to UND.

I admit I didn't watch the coverage, but how many times during the 2 1/2 hour broadcast did they take that shot? My guess is during each of the two intermissions, but during that time they were likely showing highlights from the UND game they were broadcasting. I guess there is the chance someone tunes in, only watches for 30 seconds, doesn't listen to any of the audio, has no idea who is playing and changes the channel, thus meaning their all-star hockey playing son won't be exposed to UND.

They broadcast from the booth, before the game, between the periods and have a pretty lengthy post game show from the booth. You miss the point. They are broadcasting all UND hockey home games and UND should have some logo presence at the heart of the broadcast. If not, the University of North Dakota is losing exposure it should be receiving on a national broadcast.

They broadcast from the booth, before the game, between the periods and have a pretty lengthy post game show from the booth. You miss the point. They are broadcasting all UND hockey home games and UND should have some logo presence at the heart of the broadcast. If not, the University of North Dakota is losing exposure it should be receiving on a national broadcast.

I'm not missing the point at all. I'm saying there is 2 1/2 hour minimum broadcast going on. The heart of the broadcast is the game not the pre. period and post game segments. Midco is not the FSSN. It is it's own company that is advertising it's own product.

I really don't care about the backdrop of the announcers as much as I do of the 1986 vintage video quality and the audio being off by about 2 seconds. It's 2012 and this is unacceptable in my opinion. I would rather watch a webcast than this junk. I'm not even going to go down the road of complaining about the lack of HD - just get the picture\audio problems fixed - or at least into the 1990's.

I wonder if UND put any clauses in their contract with Midco over quality issues? Which leds to the question as to who is more at fault for this fiasco, UND or Midco? I vote for UND as being more at fault for not making sure that the quality would be good for their alums and fans around the country. It almost seems like UND sold us out for a couple of bucks. When the alumni foundation calls, or writes, asking for money maybe we should tell them to use the 500K instead of asking us for money.

I can't speak for what Midco viewers are seeing but I know that the video I'm seeing on FCS is no different from last year. So I'm guessing what we're seeing on FCS is not the fault of Midco.

same here other than the sync up. I have Directv and I have the same washed-out too bright ice picture as always. Half the time you can't even read the logo at center, but it's been like that in the past. Some games are better than others.