SiouxSports.com Forum

Hockey Video Quality Issues?

BigChief

If any of you are fortunate enough to have the correct Directv package you have the option to watch the hockey game on Friday and Saturday nigths on blurvision OR in HD on channel 628 (NESNHD). I would prefer to watch it using our channel, announcers etc. but it is too hard to resist watching it on HD.

I suspect it will be the same video feed on both channels, but we will see...

Sorry if this has been posted here before. Is there anyway to get rid of the Midco Sports vertical "banners" on each side of the picture? I feels like I am watching the game through a door.

If you have a newer tv, you can use the "format" button on tv remote (not the dvr remote) to size your picture to get rid of those things.

There definitely was an issue with the sound synching with the video this past weekend on FCS. I've never seen that in the past. I assume it was a one-time issue that will be fixed by the next time.

this also occurred during one of the exhibition games as well this year...so they kinda fixed it but now it's back...

The least that UND could do was to force Midco to give those of us with FTA the coordinates so we could pull in something of better quality since we have the system already in place.

They dont have to "give us" anything.....but anyone who has worked with FTA for something other than the UND games knows where the Midco games are to be found

The picture they are sending up to the satellite for FCS (and others) is not as good as last year. It seems a little more washed out.

Thanks Iceberg. I never have stolen a signal, but would love to see it on FTA to compare. I wonder who the apologists for the quality will be now with the blurry picture and now flickering on FCS. What a shame to send this garbage to NESN. I remember watching UND on PBS in the 80's and the picture was about the same as now. I guess as they say my eyes are just use to HD, or maybe I need a 240 Hz LCD to stop the flickering that just started.

Thanks Iceberg. I never have stolen a signal, but would love to see it on FTA to compare. I wonder who the apologists for the quality will be now with the blurry picture and now flickering on FCS. What a shame to send this garbage to NESN. I remember watching UND on PBS in the 80's and the picture was about the same as now. I guess as they say my eyes are just use to HD, or maybe I need a 240 Hz LCD to stop the flickering that just started.

What are you talking about? It looked to me like FCS was getting the feed from NESN, not the other way around.

The picture looked better on NESN than on FCS. I don't know how you can blame UND for the fact that Fox College Sports is incompetently run. Look no further than Fox News channel for the level of quality they put out.

I watched both channels on DirecTV.

What did it look like on the local stations?

The political garbage is not needed....

Secondly the feed Midco sent up on the satellite (for FTA'ers, NESN, the other cable companies) to grab had the flickering and real bad. The audio sync from the booth wasnt as bad as previously (real close to being properly done) but the flickering was real bad.

Hopefully its fixed for tomorrow

The political garbage is not needed....

What is political garbage about what I said? If you're going to throw accusations around, you better back it up with something. Make your case for Fox News being a quality news organization . I'd really love to hear it...

If Fox News does such a good job, why are their viewers always found to be the least knowledgeable about the news? http://www.mediaite....-best-informed/

hmmm....bad at their jobs....

just like Fox College Sports

What is political garbage about what I said? If you're going to throw accusations around, you better back it up with something. Make your case for Fox News being a quality news organization . I'd really love to hear it...

If Fox News does such a good job, why are their viewers always found to be the least knowledgeable about the news? http://www.mediaite....-best-informed/

Wow you're an idiot. We are talking about video quality. Pretty sure Fox knows video quality. Ever watched the NFL???

Why is the local feed and the NESN feed better than the FCS picture, then, idiot?

Interesting, considering NESN got the feed from FCS Midco...I get that the local feed could be better, but once you beam it up to the satellite anything could happen...

Why is the local feed and the NESN feed better than the Fox College Sports picture, then, idiot?

Get a clue.

I saw only the NESN feed and it was terrible, even when it wasn't flickering, it was dark and almost unviewable. I can't believe FCS was even worse.

Wasn't Nesn getting the feed from midco? Because hammer welcomed Nesn fans to the broadcast a couple of times. The reason fox college sports might have had the Nesn logo is they are/were a fox sports affiliate.

That's correct, both feeds from midco, and both directv transmissions no doubt from the same transponder (FCS and NESN), so I think you're right about the NESN logo on FCS. So, I think NESN and FCS were equally as poor, as they both likely came from the same place. And, from wherever dish delivered NESN, it was terrible as well. I haven't seen anything in SD from Dish that is a bad as that was. Midco needs to start over, they obviously haven't learned, yet, how to deliver their own TV production.

OK, like I asked before: If NESN was getting the feed from FCS and not the other way around, why was the NESN logo and ticker visible on the FCS feed? I'm just asking.

Sorry, meant to say NESN getting feed from MIDCO, not FCS...carry on...

The flickering and choppy video was visible on the midco feed as well, not as bad but it was there.

The picture being put out to FCS it embarrassing,...and too keep denying the problem has an overall negative effect on your brand.

Who is denying the problem?

seriously are you that dense? We're talking about FCS/Midco video production....not a station that apparently because its owned by same folks as FCS (News Corp) its all in the same to you.

Oh and by the way FCS can only show what kind of video quality they are given. Ever hear the slogan garbage in garbage out? If FCS gets a crappy video to begin with its not like they can take it and output it as 1080i HD

Wow you're an idiot. We are talking about video quality. Pretty sure Fox knows video quality. Ever watched the NFL???

Thank you. Thats exactly what I was thinking.

Seems stupid that FCS can't get a feed directly from Midco.....

So lets see

Midco has the "master" (if you really want to call it that) feed...but according to Midco subs they had the flickering too

NESN grabbed that feed that was sent up on satellite.....compressed it and sent back out to providers (cable, satellite)

FCS grabbed the NESN feed (which is already compressed)...compressed it more and sent it out to providers (cable, Directv)

Directv now takes that FCS feed...which has been compressed twice already....compresses it again and sends it out to customer

and you wonder the feed looks like crap? ;)

Pass it off the goalie, or should I say "Ed Schulz" is one of the reasons I do not respond on here very often. To politicize a video quality issue is out right hilarious. And they did not even have facts straight as Midco indeed is feeding both FCS and NESN. UND Media Relations have said they were working on this, but I cannot get an e-mail or phone number at Midco to contact them directly. We have taken a huge step backwards and those of us outside of the MN-SD-ND area will lose coverage other than a few games on CBSSN and UND internet feed next year. There are many on here who see this problem and I for one am worried about what we will get moving forward considering things are not getting better on FCS.

• Upvote 1