SiouxSports.com Forum

Memorable moments after 11 years at "The Ralph"

Siouxperfan7

Today marks the 11th Anniversary since The Ralph opened its doors for hockey and other events. Thought it would be fun to remember back your most memorable moments at the Ralph these past 11 years.

For me, the Opening Night is a night I think few of us will ever forget. UND hockey was already a really big deal here on campus and in the country, but the opening of a 100+ million dollar arena in a city this size for a program is just unbelievable. I remember walking in the door and my jaw dropping at how amazing the arena really was!! From the marble floors, to the leather seats, to the bars at each end...everything was first class. The excitement in the building by all the fans could be felt by everyone. Oh, and the fact that we were playing the Gophers added even more excitement. Sure we lost the game, but that opening night was so anticipated and anyone that calls them self a UND hockey fan definitely felt a great sense of pride and privileged to be able to watch our team in such a great facility.

Memories for me that instantly come to mind:

2006 NCAA Regionals: UND vs. Michigan and of course, Holy Cross vs. Minnesota

Jan 4, 2003 Down 4-2 to CC with under 3:00 to play, Blais pulls the goalie and Sioux score 2 to tie it up, 4-4

Feb 28, 2009, final home series vs CC, the Sunday afternoon game was incredible.

2010 WCHA Playoffs - booting out the Gophers and moving on to St. Paul

2009 when Gwoz got tossed and walked on the ice - ultimate jerkface moment - electricity in The Ralph was palpable.

Honestly, pretty much every home game I've attended at the Ralph. The bus rides to and from the Ralph, seeing old friends and making new ones in the bars between periods, seeing your kids ride on the Zamboni. Always a memorable time, unbeatable for me!

• Upvote 1

My top moments at the Ralph:

~Just after Holy Cross ended Minnesota's season, and the ovation the Sioux got when they got on the ice to play Michigan....sent tingles down my spine

~Frattin's one timer against Minnesota in the playoffs. My lord.....I was sitting in that corner with my wife.....wow.....just wow.....

~Bringing my son to the Ralph for the first time in his Sioux jersey, and getting a picture of us with the scoreboard in the background after the Sioux won.

Memories for me that instantly come to mind:

2006 NCAA Regionals: UND vs. Michigan and of course, Holy Cross vs. Minnesota

That was the best time I ever had at the REA. Also, Canada and Russia was a goo time as well. Paid a Scalper $100.00 to go to the game.

One of my favorite games was the Minnesota win this year. I believe it was the first game without the nickname, and I thought the feeling in the air was just kind of a culmination of pissed off and hate. It was electric in the building, and Big Mac's goal was the first time I haven't been able to hear the band after a goal because the crowd was so loud.

My favorite game was in January of 2009, when the Sioux put the beat down on the gophers both nights.

That was nuts and I have to go with ya on that one. My first time walking into the Palace was pretty special too knowing it was the place I will get to go to for many many years to watch my favorite hockey team.

Parise bringing atmosphere and tradition to the new Englestad was huge for me. The first year or so the place had no atmosphere at all compared to now. He established a winning and entertaining tradition in the building that still stands. Also the people who would go to games just to be seen and not cheer were weeded out and more rowdy crowds ensued.

Also the world Juniors were phenomenal. Dressing up to cheer for team Germany (who had basically zero fans) with a small group of friends was a blast.

Feb. 18, 2008...DU leads UND 4-1 late in the 2nd. UND gets 2 goals in the last minute of the 2nd and Kozek scores on 2 rockets in the 3rd and UND wins 5-4. My heart is racing just recalling it.

• Upvote 1

Feb. 18, 2008...DU leads UND 4-1 late in the 2nd. UND gets 2 goals in the last minute of the 2nd and Kozek scores on 2 rockets in the 3rd and UND wins 5-4. My heart is racing just recalling it.

Talk about a guy that could shoot the puck....I wonder who had a better wrist shot....Kozek or Frattin?

A few of my favorite memories:

February 15, 2002

Attended my first hockey game. The Sioux beat Michigan Tech 12-2 and by the end of the game I was completely hooked.

2003 WCHA 1st Round Playoffs

Sioux vs. Denver: DU won Friday night, Sioux won two intense games in OT on Saturday and Sunday to advance to the Final Five

2005 World Junior Championship

I was an event volunteer and was in attendance for several games throughout the tournament. The Gold Medal game between Canada and Russia is the loudest I have ever heard The Ralph. My ears ached every time Team Canada scored. The place was an absolute zoo. Also, it's incredible to look back at the amount of talent that was on the ice during those two weeks - Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin, Bergeron, Weber, Getzlaf... During one of my shifts I was in the Olympic rink when Team Russia arrived and I remember watching the media swarm Alex Ovechkin. He shrugged them off and stood in front of a television watching highlights of himself. :lol: It was also cool to see all the folks in the hockey world who ventured to Grand Forks (NHL GMs, coaches, and scouts, Wayne Gretzky...). The Stanley Cup was even in the house for a few days.

• Upvote 1

My favorite moments since my first undergrad year in 2009.

Oct 16th, 2009: My first hockey game as an undergrad was against the hated Gophers, it justified going through that horrible campout as the place was just nuts. It made me understand how big hockey was up here. Beating them 4-0 for my first game will always be a great memory.

Feb 19-20th, 2010: The absolute smackdown we layed on UMD. Sitting right on Ice Row by the Sioux penalty box as Hextell sprinted out after serving his penalty, getting the puck and on a breakaway buried it past Reiter.

Dec 4th, 2010: The business suits at home... against St. Cloud and the 5 goal first period. I was just going nuts in upper bowl.

Feb 27th, 2011: Remembering the Sunday Matinee and watching Frattin just embarrass Bakala and clinching a share of the cup that night

Jan 13th, 2012: Friday Night, Gophers. Watching Mac just throw a goal from 40 feet that proved to be the difference.

Overall, just the hours and hours I wasted standing in line in all sorts of conditions with all the other students just waiting to get inside. Can't wait to do it all again this year.

From the band we were warming up in the Olympic waiting for the holy cross gopher game to end when someone came running in saying holy cross tied it. Then after the resurfacing hearing the horn go off and the building explode we new holy cross won. Not a moment later Goldie comes up the steps leading to the locker rooms and shatters a stick against the Olympic arena boards almost taking out a gopher cheerleader who looked like a lost puppy.

• Upvote 2

2005 World Junior Championship

I was an event volunteer and was in attendance for several games throughout the tournament. The Gold Medal game between Canada and Russia is the loudest I have ever heard The Ralph. My ears ached every time Team Canada scored. The place was an absolute zoo. Also, it's incredible to look back at the amount of talent that was on the ice during those two weeks - Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin, Bergeron, Weber, Getzlaf... During one of my shifts I was in the Olympic rink when Team Russia arrived and I remember watching the media swarm Alex Ovechkin. He shrugged them off and stood in front of a television watching highlights of himself. :lol: It was also cool to see all the folks in the hockey world who ventured to Grand Forks (NHL GMs, coaches, and scouts, Wayne Gretzky...). The Stanley Cup was even in the house for a few days.

Wow. What an experience!

My son had NEVER seen a hockey game until the 2006 Regionals. The Holy Cross game was electric. The Ralph was magical. From that game forward he had hockey in his blood. I signed him up for mite hockey the next season and even though he started really late compared to his teammates he has really blossemed. This year he will compete for a spot on the Bantam A team and he lives SIOUX HOCKEY. All because of The Ralph, The Sioux and TJ OSHIE. (and our second favorite college hockey team Holy Cross)

His cats name is Oshie. His room is a shrine to TJ (thanks Coach Osh) and is decorated with TJ's Autographed Sioux and Blues Jerseys, an actual game stick from his World Juniors and lots of other Sioux memorabilia. Sioux Hockey has brought a father and son closer and we have shared so many great memories at The Ralph.... and even though I am a longtime Bison fan......

THERE IS NOTHING BETTER THAN SIOUX HOCKEY.

Sorry this is so long but the title of this thread really got me thinking about how that one experience at The Ralph changed my sons life........I think we will drive up for the game tonight........

• Upvote 2

My favorite game was in January of 2009, when the Sioux put the beat down on the gophers both nights.

My buddies and I make it up to GF for 1 series a year. We were fortunate enough to be at this series. I can understand there may have been better experiences in the life of the Ralph but for me, when I've been in attendance, this is the pinnacle. I remember being jacked up from the introductions/video, how exciting the first period was, and then the feeding frenzy that was the last 5 periods of the weekend.

What a blast.

To me, the night of the first night of the Regionals at the Ralph in 2006 was the most electrifying atmosphere I have ever been to at the Ralph. Obviously when Holy Cross scored the goal in OT was a crazy moment. To see one of the biggest upsets in college hockey live was pretty sweet. But having it happen to the Gophers made it even better!! I just remember the buzz in the building from when that game got over. The excitement was just building and building until finally the Sioux took the ice for warm ups for their game against Michigan. I still get goosebumps thinking about how loud the fans were when they skated on the ice. By far the loudest the Ralph has ever been!! Def finitely a moment that I will never forget!