SiouxSports.com Forum

Week 5 Already? vs Cal Poly

geaux_sioux

It's just hard to win when the defense gives up 35 points. Then, add in all the other mistakes and you see how the game ended like it did.

The defense wouldn't have given up 35 points if the offense hadn't lost 4 turnovers. Lots of mistakes on all sides of the ball, this loss doesn't belong to the defense alone.
  • Upvote 1

Come on, where is Darrell talking about a FCS championship and how you guys are hosting us in the playoffs??

Go take a hike troll. I never said anything about a FCS Championship or hosting NDSU in the playoffs. I did say the conference title would be between Cal Poly and Montana State.

Thoughts:

1. UND fell into the trap when they took the lead: they thought the game was over. The defense fell asleep and 65 yards later, ...the game was over. The momentum and energy was gone.

2. Hardin historically is hot and cold, and last night he was cold. The rule should be: after Hardin drops three start targetting McGill.

3. I think teams have figured out how to defend Hendrickson. His passing is, well, back to just a bit better than it was against Montana in 2010.

4. The recruiting focus the last couple of years has been to put together a "Big Sky" offense. It's time to refocus on the defensive recruiting.

5. You can't have four turnovers and expect to win.

6. The offensive line needs to start being positively consistent.

Thoughts:

4. The recruiting focus the last couple of years has been to put together a "Big Sky" offense. It's time to refocus on the defensive recruiting.

This! While this offense is certainly fun to watch at times. going into the Big Sky I was thinking we would be the team that was a tough matchup with a pounding running game and ball control offense. We need to put our best athletes on defense and be able to run block on offense. More 2 tight end sets and beat teams up.....this is not what we have tranformed into over the last couple years and it looks like we are going to be a team that tries to outscore our opponents.

With the team we have the passing game needed to be clicking on all cylinders yesterday for us to win. That did not happen. Too many errant throws, and too many passes either dropped or, in some cases, too little effort to make the catch...

So, game last night....

Cons:

Tackling again...................

Missed an easy pick that eventually turns into a Poly TD, minimum 7 point swing.

Execution on fake punt, bad block by Jablonski and why in God's name did Brown cut to the inside when he had the outside wide open.

Team intensity in the first quarter, basically it sucked. You could feel it from the stands. Partly to blame could be the mess up by the Alerus by starting the clock 6 min early and then making the team wait on the sideline for the extra time before the game would start, Poly waited to come out and they had the energy you'd expect.

Offensive consistency, they screwed the defense over in the first and fourth quarters by doing nothing.

Drops/missed throws. Cost us drives and redzone TDs.

Did I mention tackling? Anyone heard of breaking down and not lunging at ankles?

Execution of the trick play, if the guy isn't wide open throw the ball away and move on.

Run blocking, man do we miss Kleason and Lynch. Hopefully Lynch plays next week, we need him.

Pros: yes there were some, more than most would think

Heart, after the horrible start we dug our heels in and got back into the game and scored 17 unanswered points.

Defense for 2.3 quarters (2-beginning of the 4th) they looked great for the most part and had huge stops.

Long offensive drives, they gave the defense the rest they needed and put some points on the board to get back into the game.

Kenny Golladay, had a nice game and my God what a catch at the end. Never seen anything like it at UND and it was on a bum ankle.

Mussman showing that he does in fact have balls. He made some gutsy calls that could have won us the game. You can't blame a coach for having confidence in his team and doing everything he can to give them an advantage. After that it comes down to execution by the players and they let him down.

RJ McGill, he's always open and he gave the offense life on multiple occasions before he got hurt.

There is alot of season left and Braden Hanson will HUNGRY to lead this team and this loss should serve as a fire that could unite the team to do some great things.

• Upvote 1

How are we counting attendance? Because there was way more people at his game than he Portland State game. Like at least a 1000. The last two sections on each end had way more people than vs. Portland. Yet they said the attendance was nearly the same, just a few hundred more.

However, the student section was less than vs Portland. Yesterday they only filled the bottom two sections and about half of a top section. (We shouldn't feel that bad about getting roughly 1000-1500 students, I tuned into the USD game and there was maybe 200 there).

Did anyone else think there was more there yesterday?

How are we counting attendance? Because there was way more people at his game than he Portland State game. Like at least a 1000. The last two sections on each end had way more people than vs. Portland. Yet they said the attendance was nearly the same, just a few hundred more.

Did anyone else notice that?

I did. I was having the same discussion with the guy behind me in our section. The entire east side of the stadium was much more full than it has been all season.

Does anyone have any video of the Golloday catch? Not to times you'll see a catch with your team down 18 and the crowd that is still in attendance goes crazy. It was that good.

Anybody else think that we don't have the horses up front to play the 3-4? If the linemen can' hold and occupy the O line, you're gonna have a bad time. Linebackers need to be mobile and hostile (in the Digger Anderson mold). I'm not sure that a different formation would be the answer for this defense, but I'm starting to think that the 3-4's time has passed. It was put in to stop the Bison option, and didn't look like an option stopper yesterday.

Anybody else think that we don't have the horses up front to play the 3-4? If the linemen can' hold and occupy the O line, you're gonna have a bad time. Linebackers need to be mobile and hostile (in the Digger Anderson mold). I'm not sure that a different formation would be the answer for this defense, but I'm starting to think that the 3-4's time has passed. It was put in to stop the Bison option, and didn't look like an option stopper yesterday.

There is alot of misinformation out there about the 3-4 vs. Veer and Triple Option, It was brought in to stop the veer, which is an entirely different animal than the triple option. Some principles are the same but what Poly was running yesterday is nothing like the veer.

Yes, I will agree that the defensive line got abused yesterday.