SiouxSports.com Forum

Eight Bison football players charged

darell1976

You are making a big deal out of a guy getting a minor and running? If he gets suspended I won't complain but goodness, a minor is no big deal. Neither is running.

My take:

Minor in college = no big deal

2nd minor in college = still not a huge deal, but a situation worth monitoring

running from cops = pretty stupid

getting caught after running from cops = really stupid

stealing a parking sign = incredibly stupid

All in all, a 1 game suspension (Robert Morris) would have been justified. I'd hope he at least had to do some extra sprints. I'm not real concerned about this one though.

Nice post but I think 40 pages on this topic would tell you that most (almost all) of the folks here don't have more important things to focus on as you say "things at home". Even LakesDarrel asked if this thread was a record for one week. I've never seen so much joy come out of other peoples pain and that's exactly why there is so much discussion about it. IMO, much less to do about anyones right to vote than it is about the fact that it's NDSU that is experiencing the pain. (And yes I believe they should have been suspended)

Are you referring to the pain/unhappiness experienced by those who hoped to vote on these petitions or are you walking the company line and attempting to make the 15 people (moreso just the 13 associated with NDSU) who committed fraud the victims? At least we agree on suspensions. I'm one of the people who thinks this wouldn't be as big of an issue if NDSU had simply gotten ahead of it by suspending players for the Robert Morris game. Unfortunately for NDSU, they've had some awful press conferences in which they give the impression that they don't give 2 sh*ts about fraud or what the people of ND think.*

*Not saying this is necessarily the case, just the impression given.

Obstructing one's right and ability to vote in this nation is fundamentally wrong, and I don't care how it's done.

The word that applies that hasn't come up is disenfranchise.

http://www.bing.com/Dictionary/search?q=define+disenfranchise&qpvt=define%3a+disenfranchised&FORM=DTPDIA

Now normally that word means voting but, as you can see from the definition, it also applies when a legal right has been deprived, like in this case the folks who meant to sign a petition to get an issue on the ballot but who had that signature thrown out because the petition circulator refused to sign the affidavit authenticating it.

North Dakotans who signed petitions (their right) that got thrown out, because others chose to perform illegal acts, were disenfranchised.

Disenfranchisement is not a good thing.

My take:

Minor in college = no big deal

2nd minor in college = still not a huge deal, but a situation worth monitoring

running from cops = pretty stupid

getting caught after running from cops = really stupid

stealing a parking sign = incredibly stupid

All in all, a 1 game suspension (Robert Morris) would have been justified. I'd hope he at least had to do some extra sprints. I'm not real concerned about this one though.

Are you referring to the pain/unhappiness experienced by those who hoped to vote on these petitions or are you walking the company line and attempting to make the 15 people (moreso just the 13 associated with NDSU) who committed fraud the victims? At least we agree on suspensions. I'm one of the people who thinks this wouldn't be as big of an issue if NDSU had simply gotten ahead of it by suspending players for the Robert Morris game. Unfortunately for NDSU, they've had some awful press conferences in which they give the impression that they don't give 2 sh*ts about fraud or what the people of ND think.*

*Not saying this is necessarily the case, just the impression given.

I am surprised the cop caught Travis Beck. Beck is quite fast. The cop that caught him must be pretty fast. I wonder if he has any college elgibility left.

I am surprised the cop caught Travis Beck. Beck is quite fast. The cop that caught him must be pretty fast. I wonder if he has any college elgibility left.

He got to a building it sounds like, and they got him when he exited or something. I give up on trying to understand what really happens in those situations. The report for my run-in with the law enforcement had some lies in it but also didn't mention some things that did happen which would have made me look worse. Hopefully he learned his lesson though.

Per Schlossman blog:

Two UND players have been punished for receiving minors in possession/consumption of alcohol.

Dan Senkbeil, who was cited for a minor and for failure to halt on Aug. 31, was suspended from all team activities for two weeks. He has not yet been cleared by coach Dave Hakstol to play in games. Senkbeil received his minor one week before turning 21.

Michael Parks was cited for a minor and his punishment is being handled internally. Parks is 20.

Both players were rookies last season.

Senkbeil played in 30 games at forward, registering three assists. Parks played in all 42 games and registered 22 points.

Per Schlossman blog:

Two UND players have been punished for receiving minors in possession/consumption of alcohol.

Dan Senkbeil, who was cited for a minor and for failure to halt on Aug. 31, was suspended from all team activities for two weeks. He has not yet been cleared by coach Dave Hakstol to play in games. Senkbeil received his minor one week before turning 21.

Michael Parks was cited for a minor and his punishment is being handled internally. Parks is 20.

Both players were rookies last season.

Senkbeil played in 30 games at forward, registering three assists. Parks played in all 42 games and registered 22 points.

Eh no big deal. Right Gene?

The word that applies that hasn't come up is disenfranchise.

http://www.bing.com/Dictionary/search?q=define+disenfranchise&qpvt=define%3a+disenfranchised&FORM=DTPDIA

Now normally that word means voting but, as you can see from the definition, it also applies when a legal right has been deprived, like in this case the folks who meant to sign a petition to get an issue on the ballot but who had that signature thrown out because the petition circulator refused to sign the affidavit authenticating it.

North Dakotans who signed petitions (their right) that got thrown out, because others chose to perform illegal acts, were disenfranchised.

Disenfranchisement is not a good thing.

Sorry but I referenced that earlier this afternoon...:). Maybe you lawyer types can explain if it makes any difference if there is intent to disenfranchise vs just being a dumbass and not knowing the possible outcomes of your actions....?

(from the president of NDSU)

Dear Campus Community,

Recent events and media portrayals of these events have left many on our campus with understandable questions. Given that, I would like to offer some clarification of University disciplinary policies that I think you will find helpful.

In addition to civil or criminal penalties, students who are charged with a crime are subject to a campus disciplinary process, which is conducted through the Dean of Student Life office as outlined in the code of student conduct, http://www.ndsu.edu/fileadmin/studen...tudentCode.pdf.

To reiterate directly from the code: “When students commit acts that are also violations of community, state or federal laws, on or off campus, those students will be subject to the same civil and/or criminal penalties as any other citizen in addition to campus resolution. Campus resolution of such acts may proceed before, during or after the civil or criminal proceedings have concluded.”

Students involved in co-curricular activities also are subject to disciplinary review and sanctions by their organizations.

The criminal, civil, University and organizational processes may and often do overlap. We take seriously our responsibility to cooperate with external investigations, and at times prioritize that step. We also balance that with consistent application of our own student disciplinary procedures.

In the case of recent situations I referenced above, the University immediately and completely cooperated with investigating authorities. Our doing so reduced what would have been months of effort on their part to a matter of days.

Unfortunately, though, because the University process has not been widely reported, some have perceived that the University is not taking action, or not acting quickly, which is not the case. We must carefully observe federal student privacy laws, and for campus administrators, including me, who have a role in the student discipline process, it is inappropriate to become directly involved in or comment on situations under review. I can appreciate that for people not involved in the process that all can be misinterpreted as a lack of action by the University.

As I have said many times, NDSU is committed to an environment of good stewardship, and please be assured, we are working within our policies to address disciplinary matters.

Dean Bresciani

Dean L. Bresciani, President

North Dakota State University

Apparently there's a process going on that people on the outside don't know about.

I don't know of one fan of the Bison that wants to support a dirty program. We are not a win-at-any-cost group. We're proud of the type of program that Coach Bohl has been running. He has a 10 year record of consistent, fair, and firm dealings with players. The conference season is still almost 3 weeks away. Apparently there's a process that no one on the outside is privy to. I can't predict what will happen, but it's clear that NDSU has not completed the process.

Apparently there's a process going on that people on the outside don't know about.

I don't know of one fan of the Bison that wants to support a dirty program. We are not a win-at-any-cost group. We're proud of the type of program that Coach Bohl has been running. He has a 10 year record of consistent, fair, and firm dealings with players. The conference season is still almost 3 weeks away. Apparently there's a process that no one on the outside is privy to. I can't predict what will happen, but it's clear that NDSU has not completed the process.

Just the fact that Bresciani had to send out an internal email inside NDSU to calm the troops shows that NDSU's failure to get ahead of the issue has been a PR disaster. All those national news stories and all the nasty editorials in ND against NDSU could have been avoided if Taylor and Bohl were not so hardheaded. RMU was a cupcake game, yet at least one of those two objected to any type of suspension before it. Unbelievable stupidity and disdain for ND laws.

The email concentrates on the disciplinary process for students. People on this board have not really talked about that portion at all. There is a process in place and it looks like that will happen. He mentions the criminal process, no one on this board has questioned that part. The court system will handle that. He barely mentions that students in co-curricular activities can also have a disciplinary process. This is where the disconnect has occurred on this issue with the general public. Football is a co-curricular activity. Football players are public figures and get benefits that the average student does not get. That is why the average person on the street has more interest in how the football players will be handled in this case.

Bohl had developed a pattern of suspending players for a certain level of criminal activity and for repeat offenders. In this case he deviated from the pattern. It appears suspicious. On top of that, the athletic department starting right at the top with Gene Taylor, have tried to tell North Dakota citizens that this is not a big deal. He tried to frame the players as victims. The crimes the 10 players and 3 former players are charged with are class A misdemeanors, just a step below a felony. Class A misdemeanors are a step or more above the average crimes that most NDSU players have committed during the Bohl years, yet Bohl deviated from his normal suspension pattern. The crime itself is interfering with an election, a process that North Dakotans hold very dear. According to the evidence, the players admitted to investigators that they committed the crimes. But Bohl announced that he was going to wait until the criminal process had been completed, even though he seems to have plenty of information at his disposal.

Yet the people at NDSU and many NDSU fans seem to have a real problem seeing why there is a huge PR problem right now. The issue has been fodder for national press. And the issue isn't going away. This email may calm people at NDSU, but it will probably have very little effect on the PR hit that NDSU is taking and will continue to take for a while.

The email concentrates on the disciplinary process for students. People on this board have not really talked about that portion at all. There is a process in place and it looks like that will happen. He mentions the criminal process, no one on this board has questioned that part. The court system will handle that. He barely mentions that students in co-curricular activities can also have a disciplinary process. This is where the disconnect has occurred on this issue with the general public. Football is a co-curricular activity. Football players are public figures and get benefits that the average student does not get. That is why the average person on the street has more interest in how the football players will be handled in this case.

Bohl had developed a pattern of suspending players for a certain level of criminal activity and for repeat offenders. In this case he deviated from the pattern. It appears suspicious. On top of that, the athletic department starting right at the top with Gene Taylor, have tried to tell North Dakota citizens that this is not a big deal. He tried to frame the players as victims. The crimes the 10 players and 3 former players are charged with are class A misdemeanors, just a step below a felony. Class A misdemeanors are a step or more above the average crimes that most NDSU players have committed during the Bohl years, yet Bohl deviated from his normal suspension pattern. The crime itself is interfering with an election, a process that North Dakotans hold very dear. According to the evidence, the players admitted to investigators that they committed the crimes. But Bohl announced that he was going to wait until the criminal process had been completed, even though he seems to have plenty of information at his disposal.

Yet the people at NDSU and many NDSU fans seem to have a real problem seeing why there is a huge PR problem right now. The issue has been fodder for national press. And the issue isn't going away. This email may calm people at NDSU, but it will probably have very little effect on the PR hit that NDSU is taking and will continue to take for a while.

I agree, and every game played from here on out where these players are NOT suspended will only make the people of ND more upset with NDSU athletics (Bohl and Taylor) and the press won't let these two jokers forget it.

Where is the part about the lawyer that represents the football team? I know all students have access to him but I'm sure he was a little more readily available in this case. This was an "oh !@#$, we have egg on our face e-mail". Damage already done.

Didn't Taylor say that there would be no suspensions with Bresciani standing beside him? I would say that Taylor had completed his process. Bresciani was feeling the heat and drafted a "cover" document.

I would just like to thank the NDSU Bison Football team and their fans for basically trying to dumb down the conversation. The fact remains – this is not a minor offense – this is a Class A Misdemeanor and if you listened to the N.D. Secretary of State Al Jaeger on Mike McFeely you will hear that they want to make this kind of a fraud a felony. Tell Ducks Unlimited that this is no-big deal. What DU should do is sue these clowns in court.

Basically, the 2012 NDSU Bison team is no different than the thugs that played under Rocky Hagler.

The problem is that we have been dumbed down as a once great nation and now we have people that seem to think committing Class A Misdemeanors is "no big deal" and not even worthy of any punishment and possibly even Felonies are no big deal.

Most of us if we got a class “A” Misdemeanor charge we would have to report it to our bosses so we don’t get fired and we might just get disciplined anyways. If was to be involved in an incident involving Alcohol I “could” lose my job as well.

One MIP isn’t that really that big of a deel, if said players learns from it – multiple offense proves player might have a drinking problem and at least lacks a focus… Racking up multiple driving offense aren't just events to overlook. There is a pattern forming NDSU. These aren’t just minor dust ups… This is an out of control football team that needs to tone it down and act like law abiding citizens and not a bunch of knuckle dragging criminals.

I love the might, most of and could. Pretty definite. And what do9es knuckle dragging criminals mean? Some people could think it's a racist comment.

I love the might, most of and could. Pretty definite. And what do9es knuckle dragging criminals mean? Some people could think it's a racist comment.

Only you would think its racist.

http://onlineslangdictionary.com/meaning-definition-of/knuckle-dragging

knuckle-dragging

adjective

• resembling a primate. That is, unintelligent, unsophisticated, etc.

This. It seems to be just a passing thought. Move along, nothing to see here. Facing discipline for violation of the student code of conduct is not unique to NDSU. Past offenders should have gone through the same process, but rarely do you hear about the school punishments because it typically isn't very harsh. Now if there has been multiple violations of the student code of conduct by someone, their punishment could and should be a little more severe. It will be interesting to see how this end of it plays out, as at least one person in this incident has multiple offenses. The fact that they had to point out something that all students go through to try to cover themselves shows NDSU realizes how big of a mess they have made by how they handled this situation. Not sure how NDSU backers can point to this and think that everything will be fine because Bresciani sent out an e-mail.

Also, if anything this just puts this back in the news and gives everyone a chance to talk about how it was handled....... again.

To prove your point:

Mike McFeely ‏@MikeMcFeelyKFGO

Also clear by Bresciani's e-mail that blaming the media is a popular tactic at NDSU when things aren't going their way.

Expand

What are some of the possible punishments these student-athletes might be facing?

No pudding for a week

Coaching staff will no longer shine their shoes

Reading of bed-time stories from President Bresciani suspended

Coach Bohl is going to scowl at them

Subscription to Fargo Forum cancelled

Other possibilities?

What are some of the possible punishments these student-athletes might be facing?

No pudding for a week

Coaching staff will no longer shine their shoes

Reading of bed-time stories from President Bresciani suspended

Coach Bohl is going to scowl at them

Subscription to Fargo Forum cancelled

Other possibilities?

Field trips to Best Buy are now taken away.