SiouxSports.com Forum

get a shot back into ndsu/south dakota confrence

Have you guys thought of how hard it's going to be the AQ with 13 teams? You're not going to get 2 teams in for anything but FB.

You do realize that the 13 schools is football only. Other sports will be 11 schools.

Yes, it will be more difficult to win conference championships, but will be that much sweeter when UND wins them.

You do realize that the 13 schools is football only. Other sports will be 11 schools.

Yes, it will be more difficult to win conference championships, but will be that much sweeter when UND wins them.

or 14 and 12 if Idaho decides to rejoin the Big Sky :)

Okay, that's just a silly argument.

Number of conferences UND will be in after Big Sky: 5 (NCHC, Big Sky, swimming & diving, baseball, men's golf)

Number of conferences UND would be in after Summit: 3 (NCHC, Summit, football)

From a commonality perspective, the Summit is a much better fit than the Big Sky. Go ahead and use other arguments to support Big Sky over Summit, but not that one. Personally, I think UND would be better off in the Summit in the long-term, but you guys are now locked into the Big Sky so it's a moot point and not worth rehashing all the pros and cons.

The point is that there are 5 sports at North Dakota that can draw fans: Hockey, Football, Men's basketball, Women's basketball, and Volleyball. I've made the commonality argument for 5 years or more. UND sports fans are already at times a house divided. I think it is very good for fan interest that the fans who grow to hate Montana St. football can also grow to hate Montana St. basketball and volleyball.

Have you guys thought of how hard it's going to be the AQ with 13 teams? You're not going to get 2 teams in for anything but FB.

You are right that the depth and quality of the Big Sky is infinately higher than that of the Summit. NDSU will definately have a much much easier road to conference sucess in the Summit.

• Upvote 1

Well I guess NDSU is happy with the situation:

http://www.grandfork...3/group/Sports/

Two very interesting statements:

It appears UNO may be the last school to join the Summit for the foreseeable future. Bresciani said there is not a school out there that has a “serious interest in joining.”

Bresciani said the Missouri Valley Conference is not on NDSU’s radar. The Bison are members of the Missouri Valley Football Conference for that sport only.

translation?:

no more move-ups in the north central part of the country. St Cloud, Duluth, etc

MVC doesn't want NDSU (cause deep down inside you know that they would jump at a chance to join the MVC)

As long as the Summit League has a good Men's Basketball RPI Rating (which, according to the NDSU-ites, is all that really matters), why shouldn't they be happy?!?! ;)

But don't forget that it can't be difficult to get the AQ. If its too difficult and the competition is to much, that is seen as a negative by a few of their fans as well.

• Upvote 2

But don't forget that it can't be difficult to get the AQ. If its too difficult and the competition is to much, that is seen as a negative by a few of their fans as well.

Can't wait to see Bison fans cry when Omaha and South Dakota go to the dance while the Bison sit and watch.

Count me as one that would love the Summit/MVFC spot. The Big Sky is fine but after the two Montana schools there isn't much to latch on to.

No, the key is to attach to the Montana schools and go as a package to where they may go next.

• Upvote 3

Count me as one that would love the Summit/MVFC spot. The Big Sky is fine but after the two Montana schools there isn't much to latch on to.

And how many teams in the Summit league would you want to latch on to - keeping in mind you can't list any former NCC schools because those are the schools that others wanted to leave behind.

Are you one of those "I just want to play the Bison again" fans? Because that is NOT how decisions like this should be made. Marching lock-step with the Stream Yellow crowd is not a good idea.

No, the key is to attach to the Montana schools and go as a package to where they may go next.

So this is the mantra for the UND fan?

"attach to the Montana schools"......

UND would be better off in the Summit, period. More regional schools with a lot less travel. The BSC worked out, it is what it is. But your administration would have joined the Summit/MV in a heartbeat if it would have worked out.

As a TMer and Bison fan, there is no way the Missouri Valley is not the ultimate goal for NDSU athletics. Once the renovation is done to the BSA, IMO, that will be an issue pushed hard at NDSU.....membership into the Missouri Valley.

Can't wait to see Bison fans cry when Omaha and South Dakota go to the dance while the Bison sit and watch.

Really?

So you think those 2 schools are going to come in and "tear" up the Summit with multiple titles?

USD in the MV will be a perrenial doormat....period. The game in Sioux Falls will be awesome when more Bison fans show up compared to Yote fans. USD, with all of their senior starters last year, would have finished 8th or 9th in the Valley. They are a good addition to the Valley.....shorter trip for travel, but they will never be a "power" player in the conference.

Really?

So you think those 2 schools are going to come in and "tear" up the Summit with multiple titles?

USD in the MV will be a perrenial doormat....period. The game in Sioux Falls will be awesome when more Bison fans show up compared to Yote fans. USD, with all of their senior starters last year, would have finished 8th or 9th in the Valley. They are a good addition to the Valley.....shorter trip for travel, but they will never be a "power" player in the conference.

He was talking about basketball and the Summit League not sure why you jumped over to football ahhh ButFootball got it.

• Upvote 1

UND would be better off in the Summit, period. More regional schools with a lot less travel. The BSC worked out, it is what it is. But your administration would have joined the Summit/MV in a heartbeat if it would have worked out.

But there was no offer to the MVFC.

Football will have the most travel issues. But now all the other sports can have a lot of close non-con games that we'd bus to. Maybe not all schools will schedule us and we may choose to not schedule them, but filling out schedules for us is going to be a heck of a lot easier than if we were with the Summit schools.

But I will agree that we will have more traveling to do compared to in the summit.

If that gets UND to where they (Montanas) are going sooner or later (FBS conference), why not?

As a TMer and Bison fan, there is no way the Missouri Valley is not the ultimate goal for NDSU athletics. Once the renovation is done to the BSA, IMO, that will be an issue pushed hard at NDSU.....membership into the Missouri Valley.

The Missouri Valley is a "destination" non-FBS conference. NDSU hopes to get there.

The Big Sky is a "destination" non-FBS conference. UND is there.

• Upvote 2

Oh, I'm quite sure UNO and USD are planning on being Summit doormats for at least the next 50 years.

Surely they have no interest in post-season or autobids to the NCAA tournament.

Roll over for NDSU is definitely the plan in Omaha and Vermillion.

Oh, I'm quite sure UNO and USD are planning on being Summit doormats for at least the next 50 years.

Surely they have no interest in post-season or autobids to the NCAA tournament.

Roll over for NDSU is definitely the plan in Omaha and Vermillion.

Ya..................

I believe if we are talking basketball, USD has been "rolling over" NDSU for about 100 years now, along with SDSU. NDSU was basically a 5th place basketball program in the NCC. I expect them to be about the same in the "Super Summit" for the foreseeable future...........................

I would really like to see und get out the big sky and get a second shot with ndsu/south dakota confrence with the loss of the sioux.

I can't relate to this comment at all. I consider the Big Sky one of the most competive and successful conferences over the past decade at the FCS level. My bias is definitely based in the fact that I'm a huge football fan and I don't really care much about basketball or other sports that are hosted by the Big Sky conference. From a football standpoint, though, I couldn't pick a better conference for my team (except FBS level conferences but those are out of the question for UND at this time).

At least get your facts straight. UNO dropped football to be able to afford the move to DI, not because the MVFC would not accept them. If UNO would have taken their football team with them to DI, I am sure the Valley would have accepted them into the league by at least year two, as they have a solid football history, a good location, and maybe some winnable games during the transition in a tough league. Likewise if UND would have wanted to join Valley football, they would have been accepted fairly quickly IMO with a better quality program than UNO. All it took was a little effort and being able to play nice, see USD.

Due to a rather largish ego by UND admin and a greater desire to burn than build bridges, we will never know how quickly the Valley would have taken you in. The Summit/Valley would have been crazy not to accept you into the league if you would have pursued it, which you did not. I Can't agrue with the Big Sky decision made by UND, but doing it while taking shots at the Summit/MVFC was not necessary and in your best long range interest. It seems likely that you will either move east or the bison will move west at some point, but maybe not.

I don't know about the rest of you but anytime I see a post start this way I just skip it (well other than this time since I did reply). Just so negative and confrontational. Unnecessary really.