SiouxSports.com Forum

Brock, Danny, and Derek: PLEASE STAY!!!

yzerman19

I think one of the things that we are probably overlooking on Nelson is that he really isn't going to an organization with tons of great prospects. I would guess he immediately becomes the prospect their fans are waiting to come up next. While I thought and wish he would have came back and play another year while putting on some muscle, he may have felt like this is his best shot to get to the NHL the quickest with a fairly weak group of Islander prospects to compete against and not having to compete against a couple more top 5 picks the next couple years.

Stuck in the AHL for 2-3 years? No way in hell. He'll be in the AHL one year max. Once he throws a little more bulk on his body he's going to be a very good NHL player. Probably a second liner, but could move up to first line on the Isles.

I agree, the only thing holding him back is strength/weight. I would be extremely surprised if he didn't see NHL time sometime next season.

I think one of the things that we are probably overlooking on Nelson is that he really isn't going to an organization with tons of great prospects. I would guess he immediately becomes the prospect their fans are waiting to come up next. While I thought and wish he would have came back and play another year while putting on some muscle, he may have felt like this is his best shot to get to the NHL the quickest with a fairly weak group of Islander prospects to compete against and not having to compete against a couple more top 5 picks the next couple years.

Good point he is probably their #1 forward prospect right now. Strome is still pretty raw and they are in the process of ruining Nino.

I agree, the only thing holding him back is strength/weight. I would be extremely surprised if he didn't see NHL time sometime next season.

It's not like the Islanders could get any worse. Might as well take a chance with young talent.

I'm sure kristo is gone as well, really puts a damper on next year.

You guys obviously know your program much better than I, but even if Kristo leaves I think this year sets up well for next. Your team was still relatively young, the coaching speaks for itself and this year could be a huge motivating factor for the returning players and by proxy the incoming kids. If UND has shown anything under Hakstol it's don't count them out until they're out.

fwiw I think after Nelson adds some girth he'll be plenty solid at the next level.

You guys obviously know your program much better than I, but even if Kristo leaves I think this year sets up well for next. Your team was still relatively young, the coaching speaks for itself and this year could be a huge motivating factor for the returning players and by proxy the incoming kids. If UND has shown anything under Hakstol it's don't count them out until they're out.

fwiw I think after Nelson adds some girth he'll be plenty solid at the next level.

Agree with everything you said, people are just disappointed because if everyone would've stayed, next year could have been very special, not that it still can't be, but unproven players will have to step up next year which could very well happen.

Agree with everything you said, people are just disappointed because if everyone would've stayed, next year could have been very special, not that it still can't be, but unproven players will have to step up next year which could very well happen.

What's especially disappointing for me is I think Nelson could've been a serious contender for the Hobey next year (I don't think he has any run-ins with the law). An extra off-season on UND's weight-training program in UND's world-class facilities could've done wonders for him....

I'm disappointed Nelson is going, but even if Kristo goes, and some other guy goes, I still feel good about next year's core. Defense will be solid once again, and look at all the experience guys like Parks and MacMillan got. They played a lot down the stretch, and in some big games. Add in a couple more healthy bodies and I think next year looks promising. I'm calm. Though I am one of the few people that predicted a 3-peat at the Final Five back in November. I'm probably more glass half-full than half-empty. haha.

Stuck in the AHL for 2-3 years? No way in hell. He'll be in the AHL one year max. Once he throws a little more bulk on his body he's going to be a very good NHL player. Probably a second liner, but could move up to first line on the Isles.

I think he has a legit chance of making the team right out of camp. He hits the off season like he did last summer and I don't see why he couldn't make the big club. It's not like the Isles are loaded at forwards right now. I wish nothing but the best for him because he is a classy kid.
  • Upvote 2

What's especially disappointing for me is I think Nelson could've been a serious contender for the Hobey next year (I don't think he has any run-ins with the law). An extra off-season on UND's weight-training program in UND's world-class facilities could've done wonders for him....

I agree with you he could have been a hobey canidate and you are right he has no run ins with the law, he is a totally classy, respectful, and overall good guy. I agree a off season program at UND would have helped, but I know a lot of guys like to come back and use the facilities in the summer and with his hometown being Warroad I would guess he may still be around this summer.

Very disappointing to see Brock call it a college career, but at the same time he's flourished at every level he's been at, and we wish him well on his way.

Give him a year in the AHL, he'll be in the NHL before you know it.

That's what a lot of people thought about Lee Goren, too.

Sucks about brock. Replying to a post i read earlier about bjugstad, i went to highschool with him and my sister is great friends with he step sister, she said the panthers talked to the family when we played the gophers, papers were in hand if lost, they are most def. Ready for him. Could brock play this year or no?

Agree....I think the strength/weight will be there by this fall. What people are forgetting here is that Nelson broke his tailbone towards the end of his first year and that set him back for 3 months last summer. So he didn't get to add the strength/weight that a summer in the weight room would have given him. As a result of that, he had to come into the season on the light side. He's going into this summer healthy and it will be interesting to see where he's at in September. I'll be very surprised if he's riding the bus in January.

Best of luck to Brock. He definitely has NHL skill and an NHL frame; I agree with other posters that he needs to get stronger to compete as an NHL power forward. I am sure his decision was made after consulting with his coaches, advisors, and the Islanders. I would guess he got a rookie max deal, and looking at the Isles' top 6, probably is going to get good minutes if he shows his best stuff in camp. It would've been nice to get him back, and another year at REA wouldn't have hurt him, but it is hard to turn down the big bucks and your dream.

No disrespect towards Goren, but I'm pretty much positive Nelson has exponentially higher potential than Goren did.

Really? Goren lead the country in goals his last year if I'm not mistaken and also lead his team to a championship...I'm not harshing on Nelson but Goren had a pretty big upside when he was done at UND. This next season could/would have been Nelson's year to really dominate at this level IMO.