SiouxSports.com Forum

UND vs WMU - West Regional

siouxforeverbaby

Wow.....talk about taking your breath away......those last couple of minutes were hard on the heart.

Observations:

~The Lamoureax line might have been the difference. They didn't score, but had some tremendous shifts in Western's end.

~Western's defensive depth is amazing. And if they all come back.....wow.

~Dell was good. A little shaky on some pucks, but very good.

~Despite what the officials in Maroon and Gold throughout the rink thought, the no goal was a good call. The guy watched the puck go off of his arm/glove and into the net. Good call IMHO. Plus the net might have been off. Had they called it a goal on the ice, might not have been overturned.

Wow.....talk about taking your breath away......those last couple of minutes were hard on the heart.

Observations:

~The Lamoureax line might have been the difference. They didn't score, but had some tremendous shifts in Western's end.

~Western's defensive depth is amazing. And if they all come back.....wow.

~Dell was good. A little shaky on some pucks, but very good.

~Despite what the officials in Maroon and Gold throughout the rink thought, the no goal was a good call. The guy watched the puck go off of his arm/glove and into the net. Good call IMHO. Plus the net might have been off. Had they called it a goal on the ice, might not have been overturned.

I did watch the game but was unsure of the call on the waived off goal. My take was that the net was knocked about about simultaneously as the puck crossed the line, and it was fortunate for the Sioux that it was initially waived off and not called a goal.

I didn't see anything that would suggest it was propelled into the goal illegally by the WMU player.

In fact, I think it's hard to know if the net was even "knocked off" at the time the puck crossed the line or if it had just started moving. Not knowing the rule book I'm not saying the call was good, or not. Just that it was so close, to me, that I can see that there would be a wide range of opinions on whether it was the right call.

For instance, the net starts moving before the puck crosses the line, but is it "dislodged"? I'm not sure. Many times nets get bumped without coming off, and so in this case, at what point is the net dislodged? Hard for me to know if it was before the puck crossed the line.

Whew

I didn't see anything that would suggest it was propelled into the goal illegally by the WMU player.

My initial reaction was that the net was off. After replay, though, I think what sealed the deal for the refs is that it did look like the puck was batted out of the air with a hand.

It might be one of those weird calls where it went like this: it was waved off by the on-ice official, it may have been played with a hand or shoulder, and the net may have been dislodged. A sort of perfect storm of reasonable doubt.

My non-biased gut feeling about the play is that it was not a goal. But it was very close.

Dave