SiouxSports.com Forum

UND vs WMU - West Regional

siouxforeverbaby

That was my take on it as well. And probably the reason it took so long to review. The ref was in a perfect position to see it.

My initial reaction was that the net was off. After replay, though, I think what sealed the deal for the refs is that it did look like the puck was batted out of the air with a hand.

I did watch the game but was unsure of the call on the waived off goal. My take was that the net was knocked about about simultaneously as the puck crossed the line, and it was fortunate for the Sioux that it was initially waived off and not called a goal.

I didn't see anything that would suggest it was propelled into the goal illegally by the WMU player.

In fact, I think it's hard to know if the net was even "knocked off" at the time the puck crossed the line or if it had just started moving. Not knowing the rule book I'm not saying the call was good, or not. Just that it was so close, to me, that I can see that there would be a wide range of opinions on whether it was the right call.

For instance, the net starts moving before the puck crosses the line, but is it "dislodged"? I'm not sure. Many times nets get bumped without coming off, and so in this case, at what point is the net dislodged? Hard for me to know if it was before the puck crossed the line.

Whew

This is what the rulebook says. (Section 6-18-c-12)

A goal shall not be allowed if

" the goal cage has been moved or dislodged. The goal frame is considered to be displaced if any portion of the goal frame is not in

its proper position (e.g., frame must be completely flat on the ice surface, goal posts must be in proper place and affixed securely in

place with its pegs)."

Just watched the replay on ESPN3 because I had to work during the game, nice to be able to watch replays of all these games...thank God our cable company decided to pick up ESPN3 last year.

Was the close hardhitting game I expected, one bad giveaway was the difference. Glad to get by these guys, they were playing really well coming in.

Murray had a paper taped on the boards behind the bench with a Sioux logo on it!!! WM should have had to forfiet the game..

Haha I saw that too during the Western Michigan timeout.

I think the no goal call was a good call the Western player pretty much guided it into the net with his body and I believe the officials reason for no goal was they said the player directed it in with his upper body/arm.

My initial reaction was that the net was off. After replay, though, I think what sealed the deal for the refs is that it did look like the puck was batted out of the air with a hand.

It might be one of those weird calls where it went like this: it was waved off by the on-ice official, it may have been played with a hand or shoulder, and the net may have been dislodged. A sort of perfect storm of reasonable doubt.

My non-biased gut feeling about the play is that it was not a goal. But it was very close.

Dave

I'll have to watch it again. I was mainly focusing on the net so I should look at it again focusing on HOW the puck got into the net.

Just happy it went the way it did.

I'm hoping for a good clean game. I have no illusions that we are more talented than Minnesota. Nor any illusions that we outplayed Minnesota last week; there were a month of good bounces in that WCHA semifinal.

But as the ESPN broadcast team said yesterday, "Good teams have good players. Great teams have great teammates."

If we have an edge, its that intangible.

I'm hoping for a good clean game. I have no illusions that we are more talented than Minnesota. Nor any illusions that we outplayed Minnesota last week; there were a month of good bounces in that WCHA semifinal.

But as the ESPN broadcast team said yesterday, "Good teams have good players. Great teams have great teammates."

Couldn't have said it better myself!

Agreed, and a couple of good bounces yesterday as well. Fair to say that hard work does create bounces, but we'll probably need more to get through today's game. I'm not betting on the Sioux today but I will be there!

Agreed, and a couple of good bounces yesterday as well. Fair to say that hard work does create bounces, but we'll probably need more to get through today's game. I'm not betting on the Sioux today but I will be there!

Yesterday was strange - we scored on two "bounces" and an ENG. But we had a load of Grade A chances that didn't get converted.

I will be there again too.

Probably the most untalented hockey team that Hakstol has coached in his eight years at UND, and they made the elite eight of the college hockey world by sticking together and being good teammates.

Last years team would beat this years team 9 out of ten times, but at the same time, if this years team finishes the job and wins three more games, they'll forever be labeled as a great hockey team.

Probably the most untalented hockey team that Hakstol has coached in his eight years at UND, and they made the elite eight of the college hockey world by sticking together and being good teammates.

Last years team would beat this years team 9 out of ten times, but at the same time, if this years team finishes the job and wins three more games, they'll forever be labeled as a great hockey team.

And remarkably, if UND wins today, they will advance at least as far in the NCAA tournament as last year's squad. Of course, the 2010-11 team also won the MacNaughton, but I never would have guessed that we would be in this position when this season started. And that's before injuries/defections/etc.

Dave

And remarkably, if UND wins today, they will advance at least as far in the NCAA tournament as last year's squad. Of course, the 2010-11 team also won the MacNaughton, but I never would have guessed that we would be in this position when this season started. And that's before injuries/defections/etc.

Dave

Last years squad had much more talent, but this team appears to be a textbook example of a team...overcoming adversity and less talent with sheer determination and grit.

We are Rocky, they are Apollo Creed. This is the rematch, Creed said he would get Rocky, we all know what happened! GO SIOUX!

Naw,

I think it's more like we are Ivan Drago and they are Apollo Creed.

We are the #1 seed. They are #2. We are ranked #4 in the nation. They are somewhere around #6 or 7...

The upset won't be UND winning. It will be the Gophers winning.

That's a fact, jack.