SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux vs Gophers

AZSIOUX

Playing against the Sioux for 4 years he knows what the game is. It's the same when Doug was in the booth a gopher guy but always respectable toward any of the wcha teams.

He was very good last night. LaPansie is a complete homer and Gorg is simply a tool for "Gopher nation".

Hak uses his timeout and settles his team down with the game almost out of hand in the second period, tDon sees his team give up 4 goals in under 5 minutes and sits on his with his players obviously rattled, but still in the game.

To me those choices were a big factor in the outcome.

• Upvote 2

I know I'm in the minority, but give me another "Jim", another "general" and another Gleason is next year's class instead of a one and done Seth Jones and this program will be better off down the road!

Hak uses his timeout and settles his team down with the game almost out of hand in the second period, tDon sees his team give up 4 goals in under 5 minutes and sits on his with his players obviously rattled, but still in the game.

I wouldn't be too critical about timeouts. There were plenty of TV timeouts in the middle of that Sioux rally.

If you read the boxscore and look at Minnesota's minuses - and who wasn't minus! - you can get a sense of where the problems were. Although Minny's 4th line didn't rack up minuses, I don't recall seeing their 4th line - Serratore-Sacchetti-Boyd - out there very much.

Link to Boxscore:

http://www.fightingsioux.com/downloads2/448950.htm?ATCLID=205399206&SPSID=58684&SPID=6405&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=13500

I would watch the arrogance, I remember when gopher fans were giving North Dakota fans what for after the Blake Wheeler goal that gave them the Final Five and seems to me they had their come uppance a week later when the Sioux ended their season in the regionals. I would doubly watch it since the Sioux may indeed have to play the gophers again at the "X" in a similar type situation, only they would basically have home ice.

Excellent point. If the Sioux win today there is a very good chance of being placed in St. Paul assuming the Gophers don't fall to a 4 seed. This could mean a possible matchup in a regional final. This Gopher team is talented and I think they will go into their region as a favorite regardless of seeding. I think the winner of tonights game gets the 1 seed in this region and I'd love to see the Sioux in St. Paul. BC will be the favorite but I wouldn't be surprised with any of the other teams that will make the tourney ending up in Florida.

Unbelievable character win last night. This could be the last game with the Sioux name on the jerseys. GO SIOUX!!!!!!!

I would watch the arrogance, I remember when gopher fans were giving North Dakota fans what for after the Blake Wheeler goal that gave them the Final Five and seems to me they had their come uppance a week later when the Sioux ended their season in the regionals. I would doubly watch it since the Sioux may indeed have to play the gophers again at the "X" in a similar type situation, only they would basically have home ice.

couldn't agree more. I hope we didn't empty our tank in the third period last night as we still have a championship toplay for tonight. tonight we finished what we couldn't on sat nights in duluth and denver. now let's seal the deal tonight and head back to the x next weekend.

There is no arrogance, it is a response to his arrogance! I listened to their crap all day around town and said nothing! I never brag about what's to come, like goof fans did all day Friday! But I will comment afterwards!

Never been prouder to wear that beautiful Sioux jersey in my life!!!!!!!

GO SIOUX!

Win or lose this is a hero team!

While I'm still enjoying this win, I just wanted to mention that I absolutely hate Kevin Gorg. Thank god they stuck him between the 2 benches during the game so we didn't have to listen to his homer !@#$ too much. Casey Hankinson(sp?), who replaced him in the booth to provide color commentary was excellent. He was very fair and was complimentary of the Sioux even when they were down 3-0. He had a lot of respect for UND and he was a Minnesota player to boot.

Also enjoyed seeing fans of other teams cheering for the Sioux when they started the comeback. Sure people hate the Sioux but more people hate the Gophers.

I really liked that Hankinson guy. Very respecful towards the Sioux program. They can keep Gorg between the benches forever. He is phenomenal there. :lol:

Still baffled why the tDon didn't call timeout after the Sioux tied it up.Hak outcoached him last night.

This entire season is why I have been such a huge Sioux fan for such a long time. The coaching job I have witnessed Hakstol do this year is one of the best I have seen at any level of hockey in awhile, we have been dismantled by injury to the point where our captain is playing with a defender on his right wing, another defender is a 4th line forward, and there isn't even enough players to field a full team. It's like watching a maestro conduct a sympthony on how he is matching up against each team and just the level of puck control that this team has displayed, because if honestly look at the talent on this team after injury, we should be lucky to even have a chance at the playoffs not be contending for a #1 seed.

Also props to the Captains and leadership on this team, this could easily have been a season where it just fell apart, but it didn't. Everything we love about the Sioux Hockey program and tradition of excellence is being displayed right now in front of our very eyes, and I could never be prouder as a fan,. Basque in the glory of this everyone because it is a site I won't forget for a long long time!

This entire season is why I have been such a huge Sioux fan for such a long time. The coaching job I have witnessed Hakstol do this year is one of the best I have seen at any level of hockey in awhile, we have been dismantled by injury to the point where our captain is playing with a defender on his right wing, another defender is a 4th line forward, and there isn't even enough players to field a full team. It's like watching a maestro conduct a sympthony on how he is matching up against each team and just the level of puck control that this team has displayed, because if honestly look at the talent on this team after injury, we should be lucky to even have a chance at the playoffs not be contending for a #1 seed.

Also props to the Captains and leadership on this team, this could easily have been a season where it just fell apart, but it didn't. Everything we love about the Sioux Hockey program and tradition of excellence is being displayed right now in front of our very eyes, and I could never be prouder as a fan,. Basque in the glory of this everyone because it is a site I won't forget for a long long time!

This is why tonight's game is so important for this team's chances to get to Tampa. As a #1 seed, we'd have the last line change, and I like our chances a lot more when Hakstol can set up the matchups he wants.

The scene at the X last night was simply amazing. The first period and a half, we were getting run out of the building, my mindset was lets not get shutout, regroup for the NCAA's next week. What happened after that is a bit blurry, not due to alcohol consumption, but due to the emotional rush of the comeback. Sioux fans were high fiving and cheering the goal announcement, simply to score again. Friends and family texting me. At one point I checked my phone and had nearly 20 texts that I hadn't had time to check! People were high fiving across the aisles, up and down the aisles, across seats. It was something that I will remember for the rest of my life. After the game, in the X concourse, high fiving anyone wearing green, outside the X, chanting. At the tent at McGoverns. It goes on and on. SIOUX fans are the best in the nation.

All of this aside, reality check: last night was a semifinal game in a conference tournament. The real prize remains on the horizon. To be in this situation right now, as a potential #1 seed in the tourney, is astounding, and speaks to the job that the coaching staff has done, and to the character of the guys in this program.

GO SIOUX!

• Upvote 2

What I was so impressed with last night was Hak and co. had a plan and they stuck with it. He wasn't afraid to play his 4th line (or partial line) regularly throughout the game and it paid off as our top 2 lines had the energy to win the 3rd period.

I really liked that Hankinson guy. Very respecful towards the Sioux program. They can keep Gorg between the benches forever. He is phenomenal there. :lol:

Well, I liked Casey...he did make quite a few comments where I wondered. Also, can we teach him how to pronounce MacMillian? That it is not McMillion? He is not an irish dollar bill.

30 yrs of Sioux Hockey - this is one to always remember - I was getting ready to sell my tickets after the game - then I would have been thrilled to tie - 5 in the 3rd was absolutely insane & the parties afterward was wonderful - I knew it was warm outside BUT THE SIOUX MADE IT HOT IN ST PAUL

this is well stated & those two walk on guys are playing like they were cream of the crop recruits - the growth & determination is mind boggling this year

Can you say THREEPEAT at the Final Five

Undoubtly the most dramatic comeback I have ever seen in any sport.

It made it so much better that it was the Fighting Sioux burying the Goofs at the end.

Whatever Hak said during that timeout to get the guys going should be immortilized.

From now on, if anybody starts a "Fire Hak" topic or bads mouth him, Jim should immediately ban them for life.

This could be the spark to ignite a sweep to #8.

KFAN beyond the pond segment this morning on how Hennen announcing gave UND advantage. Really? In your backyard? Move the tourney to Grand Forks next year and bring your announcer. And good luck with a Big 10 tourney in Madison or Detroit or Columbus! I guess it must have been hard hearing "here's your University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux SCORING...." SIX UNANSWERED TIMES!

• Upvote 3