SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux @ Denver II

jodcon

We just needed to maintain this weekend, now sweep Mankato, then win our first home series in the playoffs and we should be OK regardless of what happens at the X.

Are you sure about this? I think its a little more than this. Sweeping Mankato can't do much for us I wouldn't think. It should just come down to the teams ahead of us in the PW losing their games...

Are you sure about this? I think its a little more than this. Sweeping Mankato can't do much for us I wouldn't think. It should just come down to the teams ahead of us in the PW losing their games...

According to Jim that's how it's been the last 3 or 4 weeks, if we win 3 of the last 4 and our opening round series we're good.

Read Jim's blog:

http://blog.siouxsports.com/2012/02/23/sioux-pioneers-match-up-has-playoff-implications-for-both/

His analysis had us with the best odds of being at 14 with a split this weekend, which is right where we are. The analysis also shows that 2 more wins has us likely in the 12-13 range.

It is going to be extremely tight the rest of the way. Probably 50/50 right now.

~Need to sweep the mavs to assure home ice.

~Sweep Bucky, Bemidji, or SCSU when you have your home ice in the playoffs.

~Win at least one game at the final five, if not two of them.

You just want this team to succeed with all the setbacks they've had this season, but at the same time this program is all about making the NCAA's every year when in all reality that is extremely difficult to do every year. This team has every excuse to not make the NCAA tournament, but I have the feeling that there would be utter devastation if they didn't get in.

14th huh. Looks like they were right. Needing to win the FF to make it this year.... Not good.

Don't know why you would say that. If the Sioux can go from 14 to 9 and then back to 14 in one game, there is still plenty of room for movement as long as the Sioux take care of their business on home ice. Denver has to go to Omaha next week, so Hakstol can give Blais a call and ask for a little extra support, and a loss here or there by Northern Michigan, Merrimack and Michigan State, and the Sioux move right back. Don't know what the CCHA playoff matchups look like, but hopefully there are a few in the running for the NCAA that have to play each other in the early rounds.

Needing to win the FF to make it this year.... Not good.

That's not correct. There are many scenarios that would have UND in the NCAA's without winning the F5.

I agree the black sioux jerseys may need to be put away.......forever.

Ridiculous. Regardless of the "winning percentage" of the black jerseys this season, they are absolutely beautiful jerseys. No way should they be put away forever.

1. When are the coaches going to realize that we need to rotate goalies? It's been a long time since we've had two good starts in one weekend from a starting goalie. Eidsness got lucky last night with posts and rebounds...and then got burnt tonight. Dell should have started if he was good enough to play in the 3rd.

2. Multiple jersey popping by DU players? Really lame. Maybe all the Sioux fans at Magness confused them and they thought they were on the road? Zucker is a fun player to watch...but with him constantly running his mouth and his antics on the ice, he's going to have to tone that down in the NHL or beware.

3. I think the Sioux played well enough to win, but the special teams goals allowed killed them for sure. That SHG was the killer IMO. Either Mattson needs to take the penalty to prevent the shot, or Eidsness needs to cover that better (or both would be ideal).

4. Must sweep next weekend against a weaker opponent. No letdowns on Saturday after coming out flying on Friday. Two wins and a series win in the first round might be enough to earn that tourney berth.

That's not correct. There are many scenarios that would have UND in the NCAA's without winning the F5.

Ridiculous. Regardless of the "winning percentage" of the black jerseys this season, they are absolutely beautiful jerseys. No way should they be put away forever.

y

Think about it ..........the nickname "Sioux" is most eventuality gone ......"these".......black jerseys may never be seen again. We will be home for the next four maybe five games, then maybe in ST Paul they could show.....and then in the tourney, but I'll make the prediction that we have seen the last performance of the University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux in black jerseys.

We don't have to like it, and I don't, but in reality We may never see them again. They have a bad record this year,superstition is something we need on our side, especially when we don't have other things on our side, like injuries, and officiating.

It is going to be extremely tight the rest of the way. Probably 50/50 right now.

~Need to sweep the mavs to assure home ice.

~Sweep Bucky, Bemidji, or SCSU when you have your home ice in the playoffs.

~Win at least one game at the final five, if not two of them.

You just want this team to succeed with all the setbacks they've had this season, but at the same time this program is all about making the NCAA's every year when in all reality that is extremely difficult to do every year. This team has every excuse to not make the NCAA tournament, but I have the feeling that there would be utter devastation if they didn't get in.

If this team can win at least 5 straight, including the first game at the X, I say they are in the NCAA for sure based on what I've read and seen.

Couldn't agree witht the bolded statement more. This team IMO truly believes it's a top 10 team. They can play with anyone...as long as it's Friday night. The fatigue due to so many minutes on these guys is starting to show. Hak has done a great job getting them rest during the week, but they are spent come the end of the 2nd period on Sat. Look at the last 3 weekends.

Penalties! Uhhhhhhggggg. This is the last time I will say this, but you just can't have your captain, an "A", and a former "A" being the top 3 guys in penalties and PIM. Blood is so close on a weekly basis of getting tossed with some of his antics...would have thought Hak dressing him down and stripping him of the "A" would have sunk in. IF this team can play 5v5 hockey, I'd favor them over any team. But when you can't score on the PP, and you give up PP goals and now shorties in 2 of last 3 games, that's not a good recipe for wins.

This team needs 5 wins in a row...IMO you hitch that playoff mode wagon to Dell and roll with him. IMO BE's numbers have been better than this play. No way Shore should have found any room to fire at on the 1st goal. Goal #4 BE was just way out of position and the shorty was a combo platter of Mattson bailing on the play and BE not coming out to challenge the shooter more.

My gut says the next 2 weekends at the Ralph, barring more injuries, will result in 4 wins. Will be interesting to see where we sit Pairwise after that.

It's always hard to understand why players don't play smart, knowing what the stakes are. Last year, it made no sense to take penalties because they had so much talent at forward that their advantage was in being able to run 4 very good lines and wear the opponent down. This year, they can't afford not to go 5x5 for very long for the opposite reason. Either way, they will not win if they are in the box, and the leaders don't seem to be doing a very good job making that point. It's harder to be critical of Blood--playing D puts you in a position for a lot of calls in today's game, and he's on the ice all the time and expected to do so much. Lammy is also a trooper, but more of his contribution has to come from leadership.

BUT still a good road trip. DU has a lot of talent, and practically never gets swept in their own barn. The altitude/fatique factor is real. The boys also proved how good they can be--not just a team that tries to keep it close and get a break or two.

Not a good chance of winning the Final Five, and sweeping Mankato is far from an easy thing to do, so the chances are getting slimmer, but they still can take care of things and get in, IMO.

If they get in, nobody will want to play them.

Denver Post (Mark Kizla) keeps going off on how many green jerseys were at the game. Made some poor remarks about how the Sioux were getting chippy.

Yeah...the Pioneers are angels, aren't they? :lol:

I am happy with the split. Not happy with special teams play yesterday. But, if they sweep the purple cows and make the semis or beyond of the WCHA final five or six or whatever its called now, they'll get into a regional. Good year for getting experience. But, I'd love to see a Duluth kind of run at the end!