SiouxSports.com Forum

GF Herald's Wayne Nelson calling UND "Green and White"

fightingsioux4life

The only reason anyone uses the phrase "green and white" is simply to avoid repetition of UND when referring to the team throughout a story. Journalism 101 has been to avoid repetition and to flip flop between team name and location when writing. Since Fighting Sioux is no longer available, "North Dakota" and "green and white" are good and acceptable replacements for using UND over and over.

When Wayne, Tom, Brad etc. write an article, they aren't thinking about the psyche of their readers and how this could affect their long-term thoughts about a particular nickname, they are simply trying to not sound poorly when writing on deadline. "Green and white" and "North Dakota" only give them flexibility. Period.... end of story.

^^^^^^^^^^This. Bingo!

Considering "Pride of the North" is currently in use at UND as the name of the marching/pep bands, I would doubt it ends up being the nickname for the entire sports program.

Exactly. I'm not sure how the name is "wide open". Although, the basketball band was named the Sioux Crew Basketball Band before the Sioux Crew (now NoDak Nation) ever existed, so you never know.

I wouldn't call those people "stakeholders". They only have a "stake" in the Sioux moniker, not the university itself.

UND can't really control its own moniker as long as certain people insist on treating the issue as a political one. That goes for Clueless Al, and his equally clueless acolytes passing out petitions, etc.

Wow, this from the guy that executes political attacks on a North Dakota congressional leader who held a position that was in concert with the OVERWHELMING majority of citizens of North Dakota,

If anyone is to blame it is you and the North Dakota Democrats!

As I have said before as a life long democrat, how is keeping the name not a democratic issue. It falls squarely in the realm of big money vs the wishes of the people. That is about as liberal as you get.

Unfortunately, the people of North Dakota, especially more liberal minded, have been brainwashed into believing that this is a political issue.

It's not, it is simply right vs wrong on the most fundamental level.

I wonder how many people signing that petition about "a constitutional amendment" realize they mean the state constitution (how many realize there is a state constitution?) and that the state constitution has no power outside the borders of the state of North Dakota and as such the NCAA does not have to acknowledge it.

You should go get a job with the NCAA. Ya know, since they are your god and all...

Fear the NCAA, for they do not answer to your laws, they do unto you what they want so do as they say! huh??

• Upvote 1

Wow, this from the guy that executes political attacks on a North Dakota congressional leader who held a position that was in concert with the OVERWHELMING majority of citizens of North Dakota,

As I have said before as a life long democrat, how is keeping the name not a democratic issue. It falls squarely in the realm of big money vs the wishes of the people. That is about as liberal as you get.

Unfortunately, the people of North Dakota, especially more liberal minded, have been brainwashed into believing that this is a political issue.

Saved for my own amusement. Thanks for the laughs.

Saved for my own amusement. Thanks for the laughs.

I figured you would find that humerous, kind of like the way you surely chucle when you refer to the people, many of which are Sioux native Americans, who are handing out petitions as, "his [Al Carson's] equally clueless acolytes".

Nice!

• Upvote 1

You should go get a job with the NCAA. Ya know, since they are your god and all...

Fear the NCAA, for they do not answer to your laws, they do unto you what they want so do as they say! huh??

We are a republic not a democracy. A republic is where the minority are protected from the majority.

I figured you would find that humerous, kind of like the way you surely chucle when you refer to the people, many of which are Sioux native Americans, who are handing out petitions as, "his [Al Carson's] equally clueless acolytes".

Nice!

I'm guessing you had to "cut and paste" that little tidbit, since you're obviously too inept to spell it correctly.

I'd also guess you had to look up "acolyte" in a dictionary, stared at the definiton for a few minutes, picked your nose ... and still didn't get it. I'm sure Cluess Al would be proud of you. And yes, you and the rest are "clueless". Cut and paste to your heart's content ...

I'm guessing you had to "cut and paste" that little tidbit, since you're obviously too inept to spell it correctly.

I'd also guess you had to look up "acolyte" in a dictionary, stared at the definiton for a few minutes, picked your nose ... and still didn't get it. I'm sure Cluess Al would be proud of you. And yes, you and the rest are "clueless". Cut and paste to your heart's content ...

At the heart of every good argument resides perfect spelling. Therefore it is understandable that you choose that as the focus of your rebuttal. Throw in a few pejoratives like you seem inclined to do and you are simply unbeatable!

The only reason anyone uses the phrase "green and white" is simply to avoid repetition of UND when referring to the team throughout a story. Journalism 101 has been to avoid repetition and to flip flop between team name and location when writing. Since Fighting Sioux is no longer available, "North Dakota" and "green and white" are good and acceptable replacements for using UND over and over.

When Wayne, Tom, Brad etc. write an article, they aren't thinking about the psyche of their readers and how this could affect their long-term thoughts about a particular nickname, they are simply trying to not sound poorly when writing on deadline. "Green and white" and "North Dakota" only give them flexibility. Period.... end of story.

Okay, you guys have convinced me that this isn't worth worrying about. But I (like a lot of other people) are concerned about what the replacement name will be and how it will be picked. I guess we have a couple of years to figure it out.

• Upvote 1

At the heart of every good argument resides perfect spelling. Therefore it is understandable that you choose that as the focus of your rebuttal. Throw in a few pejoratives like you seem inclined to do and you are simply unbeatable!

Rebuttal? I didn't even know there was an argument.