SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Athletics Complex

GeauxSioux

Structurally Hyslop is sound. Beyond that it needs work. No matter what, the academic part of UND would love that space on the map, right by Witmer, Abbott, Leonard, and Starcher. You really can't do anything with Hyslop until the current occupants have somewhere to go, hence today's announcement.

The long-range plan for the on-campus Wellness Center included building a pool on the north end at some point.

That's interesting to hear about the pool at the Wellness Center. I hadn't heard that before. Thanks.

The new IPF looks very similar to the one in the master plan. Looks like it could have the potential for an entrance of some sort to be built into the retractible roof stadium. I wish we were still considering the outdoor horse shoe.

http://grandforkslife.blogspot.com/2007/12/und-is-planning-for-future.html

They would absolutely be connected. Locker room connected to playing field is a common theme.

There is more than enough room for it and the location is ideal. Wouldn't mind seeing some indoor tennis courts as well.

With the new Choice Health and Fitness Center, and the indoor tennis courts they have, I think that indoor tennis courts are probably way at the bottom of the priority list for UND athletics. UND has a contract to use the new tennis courts for a while. One advantage they put into that facility is they have a seating area so people can sit and watch matches. Racquetball and a competitive pool are probably much higher on the list.

The new IPF looks very similar to the one in the master plan. Looks like it could have the potential for an entrance of some sort to be built into the retractible roof stadium. I wish we were still considering the outdoor horse shoe.

http://grandforkslif...for-future.html

Seems like one the biggest obstacles (other than funding) for building an on campus football stadium is parking. The new parking garage across the street is big, but not big enough for 25,000 plus people. I'm guessing we would have to use the med school parking lot as well as the REA if this were to happen. I could be wrong but it looks as though the current parking lot by the Memorial will be turned into (hypothetically) a soccer field/ track.

Wasn't there talk of putting in another parking garage on the lot immediately across from Memorial? If I'm not mistaken, they were going to put that parking garage in, then convert the rest of that lot into the soccer field/track. Likely then they'd just have the overflow parking at REA and bus over similar to how they bus overflow parking to the REA now.

Seems like one the biggest obstacles (other than funding) for building an on campus football stadium is parking. The new parking garage across the street is big, but not big enough for 25,000 plus people. I'm guessing we would have to use the med school parking lot as well as the REA if this were to happen. I could be wrong but it looks as though the current parking lot by the Memorial will be turned into (hypothetically) a soccer field/ track.

Maybe I am not seeing something in this rendering, but it appears that the IPF takes away all available space on the East side for any future stadium seating. Unless there is some plan to use the West structure of the IPF for support of stands there it just does not seem feasible. If there are no new stands on the East then the N endzone and existing West stands need to be expanded or replaced and I am not sure that is a very attractive option either. I know this is 10 years away perhaps, but it seems that the vision is just not very practical when it comes to a plan for future FB stadium. I do not like the sight lines at the Alerus except between the 20's. I liked the info we had about 5 years ago even though I thought it overly ambitious. I probably will never see it in person, but would like to have a "dream stadium plan" of 25,000 to look forward to for UND someday.

I didn't know there was a pool at the Wellness Center.

There isn't a pool at the Wellness Center right now. They contract with UND athletics to use the Hyslop pool for students, faculty and staff. I believe that there was discussion of pool facilities in a later stage at the Wellness Center. That would be a future addition.

Wasn't there talk of putting in another parking garage on the lot immediately across from Memorial? If I'm not mistaken, they were going to put that parking garage in, then convert the rest of that lot into the soccer field/track. Likely then they'd just have the overflow parking at REA and bus over similar to how they bus overflow parking to the REA now.

The parking ramp we have now has parking for around 278 vehicles. I'm assuming the one they are proposing to build across the street would be similar in size and capacity. We would still need additional parking and an ideal place for a tailgate party.

Yes, the end plan is to have a second parking garage on the east side of columbia across from Memorial. However, based on how the first parking garage was received, I'd expect/hope for them to attempt to use donated funds for the next one rather than raise student parking fees 200% again. Also, there is a practice field/green space south of Memorial (between the stadium and the train tracks) that could be paved/used for additional event parking, or at least I'm not sure what else it'd be used for.

Looking at the new photos of the IPF, I think that there would still be room, if they decided to, to build a new stadium down the road at the Memorial Stadium site. The west side of the IPF where the offices, meeting rooms, etc are could be part of the new stadium. If you picture where the stands would be on the east side of the field, they could just be built on top of the west side of the IPF offices. So I think there is still room there. OBVIOUSLY we have to worry about filling the stadium now before we start thinking about a new stadium...but looking to the future is never a bad thing.

Yes, the end plan is to have a second parking garage on the east side of columbia across from Memorial. However, based on how the first parking garage was received, I'd expect/hope for them to attempt to use donated funds for the next one rather than raise student parking fees 200% again. Also, there is a practice field/green space south of Memorial (between the stadium and the train tracks) that could be paved/used for additional event parking, or at least I'm not sure what else it'd be used for.

The practice field would probably remain in place so that the team could practice on grass at least part of the time.

The practice field would probably remain in place so that the team could practice on grass at least part of the time.

Hmm, that's a good point. Just out of curiosity, what BSC teams have grass fields? Also, anyone have an idea of the quality of turf that'll be in the IPF? Will it be remotely comparable to the new Alerus turf?

Hmm, that's a good point. Just out of curiosity, what BSC teams have grass fields? Also, anyone have an idea of the quality of turf that'll be in the IPF? Will it be remotely comparable to the new Alerus turf?

My guess would be that it would be similar to what they have on Memorial right now.

everyone in the Big Sky has turf no need for a grass practice field

Except when preparing for a playoff game against a team whose stadium has real grass. Unless of course, you're assuming UND will always be the higher seed or have the winning bid for hosting playoff games.

Except when preparing for a playoff game against a team whose stadium has real grass. Unless of course, you're assuming UND will always be the higher seed or have the winning bid for hosting playoff games.

Lets not assume....lets make it happen!

The team practiced at Memorial last year in preparation for SUU who had loooong grass and it worked out fine

The team practiced at Memorial last year in preparation for SUU who had loooong grass and it worked out fine

Yes it did, but SUU wasn't a playoff team. It would be nice to have a real grass practice field but by no means is it necessary.

Has anyone seen the information on phase one and phase to for the IPF? On WDAZ news at 6:00, they mentioned they were still a couple of million $$ away from have the money necessary to start phase one. Of course, it's WDAZ so I don't know how accurate that is.

Yes it did, but SUU wasn't a playoff team. It would be nice to have a real grass practice field but by no means is it necessary.

Has anyone seen the information on phase one and phase to for the IPF? On WDAZ news at 6:00, they mentioned they were still a couple of million $$ away from have the money necessary to start phase one. Of course, it's WDAZ so I don't know how accurate that is.

Phase 1 is $13.8 million. If we do not have the funds we are very close. I'm almost certain there was more money there than what was announced today. Faison stated on KFGO today that they were waiting on approval and may tear down the old Ralph soon. Second phase of the project was $6 million.

Phase 1 is $13.8 million. If we do not have the funds we are very close. I'm almost certain there was more money there than what was announced today. Faison stated on KFGO today that they were waiting on approval and may tear down the old Ralph soon. Second phase of the project was $6 million.

Ok, thanks. I will have to try to locate and listen to a few of his interviews.