SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Athletics Complex

GeauxSioux

Doesn't the City not UND receive the money from the Alerus naming rights? I'm not sure.

Yes, Grand Forks gets the naming rights fees from Alerus. It is part of the Alerus Center budget.

A couple of possible explanations for Altru logos on the turf (no knowledge). First, perhaps Altru paid a fee to help cover the costs of the turf. That would be similar to Gate City Bank paying for naming rights fees on the Fargodome turf. That money could have covered part of the city's costs or UND's costs. It is also possible that there were some advertising rights written into the lease between UND and the Alerus Center. How the proceeds would be distributed would be written into the lease, probably to cover part of the costs for UND leasing the building. A donation for the IPF is another possible explanation. Again, they would have written something into the lease to give UND permission to do that. It may have been tied to UND covering half the cost of the turf. But normally the naming rights would be associated with the IPF itself rather than on the turf at the Alerus Center. So I would lean toward one of the other explanations.

Official news release

http://www.undsports...TCLID=205670708

Altru Health System has pledged a $10 million gift to the University of North Dakota through the UND Foundation in support of a sports medicine partnership between Altru and UND.

According to UND President Robert Kelley, $9 million will serve as the leadership gift for a new UND Athletics Complex, an indoor practice and competition facility on campus.

The remaining $1 million is directed to support the replacement of the football turf at the Alerus Center.

I like how they will be incorporating the sports medicine into this new facility, that should attract more students to the program. Surely $9 million isn't enough to build this though? Do they have additional donors? Any idea when ground will be broken on it? Very exciting news! I'm sure our neighbors down south aren't happy about this.

"According to UND President Robert Kelley, $9 million will serve as the leadership gift for a new UND Athletics Complex, an indoor practice and competition facility on campus."

Does the phrase "leadership gift" imply we may be seeing the Altru name on that building?

"According to UND President Robert Kelley, $9 million will serve as the leadership gift for a new UND Athletics Complex, an indoor practice and competition facility on campus."

Does the phrase "leadership gift" imply we may be seeing the Altru name on that building?

I'm sure that the name will be in a prominent position. Naming the building would make sense. They have named buildings on campus for lesser amounts.

Included within the press release is a website for the new facility:

http://www.undsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=13500&ATCLID=205670444

Quote:

When can construction begin?

The State Board of Higher Education has approved UND to fundraise for a $19.5 million UND Athletics Complex. Budgets are being finalized and we are in the process of securing all funds. The building will be built on donations from alumni, friends and corporations. Construction can begin once the total cost of the project (including construction and financing)is secured in pledges and cash gifts.

*Not sure why it won't let me create a quote box

I like how they will be incorporating the sports medicine into this new facility, that should attract more students to the program. Surely $9 million isn't enough to build this though? Do they have additional donors? Any idea when ground will be broken on it? Very exciting news! I'm sure our neighbors down south aren't happy about this.

They have been emptying the old REA this summer, so it wouldn't surprise me if they tear it down this fall or winter. That will be the first step. They wouldn't announce the building like this if they didn't have the money to pay for it. This donation should be all they need to get the (wrecking) ball rolling.

They have been emptying the old REA this summer, so it wouldn't surprise me if they tear it down this fall or winter. That will be the first step. They wouldn't announce the building like this if they didn't have the money to pay for it. This donation should be all they need to get the (wrecking) ball rolling.

That's right, they were selling the seats out of the old REA online this summer.

Did anybody else notice that the placement of the IPF leaves plenty of room for memorial stadium? Could a new football stadium be next on the athletic facilities "to do list"?

Absolutely there's plenty of room. It'd get a little tight on the sides but who cares with how awesome that would be

With the IPF next to Memorial where the REA is (soon to be was)....when UND moves out of the Alerus and back into Memorial Stadium, how would they upgrade that? Add seats to the endzones and the east side (again) of the stadium? I hope there would be enough room. That IPF looks huge.

Absolutely there's plenty of room. It'd get a little tight on the sides but who cares with how awesome that would be

I wonder if the two could somehow connect? I hope this announcement gets the alumni excited and eager to make a run towards financing a new stadium (eventually)!

I hope this announcement gets the alumni excited and eager to make a run towards financing a new stadium (eventually)!

Maybe for those who live in GF, or perhaps attend a game or two a year. For those who depend on satellite television to stay in touch with UND athletics, not so much.

The new IPF looks very similar to the one in the master plan. Looks like it could have the potential for an entrance of some sort to be built into the retractible roof stadium. I wish we were still considering the outdoor horse shoe.

http://grandforkslif...for-future.html

I love the look of that plan (either horseshoe or retractable roof) but I'm curious....

Maybe I'll get lambasted for this, but why isn't in the master plan to get rid of the Hyslop and build a better swimming facility? With the new IPF is there any need for the Hyslop anymore? The only thing I can think that would still be in there would be aquatics and racquetball. I still don't know why they didn't put racquetball courts in the new wellness center (unless they eventually did, it was built after I left). A really nice new facility could be built on the land where the Hyslop sits that would have a great swimming/diving center, and other athletic features as part of the whole athletic area in that corner of campus.

Maybe I'll get lambasted for this, but why isn't in the master plan to get rid of the Hyslop and build a better swimming facility?

Structurally Hyslop is sound. Beyond that it needs work. No matter what, the academic part of UND would love that space on the map, right by Witmer, Abbott, Leonard, and Starcher. You really can't do anything with Hyslop until the current occupants have somewhere to go, hence today's announcement.

The long-range plan for the on-campus Wellness Center included building a pool on the north end at some point.