SiouxSports.com Forum

UND/NDSU football commentary: You can't retire stupid

Hayduke

So tell me where the real problem with the moniker is.

Is it with past UND fans saying "Go ....." or current NDSU fans still chanting "..... suck!"

I sure hope the NCAA hears about this incident.

NDSU deserves some NCAA "proctology" for a while.

I think the Forum should ask Jesse Taken Alive and Tex Hall how they view the phrase "..... suck!" in comparison to say the (Lehigh guy) N-word.

I think the Forum should ask Jesse Taken Alive and Tex Hall how they view the phrase "..... suck!" in comparison to say the (Lehigh guy) N-word.

Your really going to compare someone saying Sioux Suck to a guy dropping an N-Bomb? Several natives of those tribes refer to themselves as Sioux and prefer to be called Sioux. I don't think you will find very many black folks who like when you call them the N word. It'd be one thing if people were referring to the Sioux as a derogatory name(I don't think any of those are as bad as dropping an N bomb.) You sir, may have just won dumbest post of the day and it is only 8:30ish.

And sorry Vegas, that won't fly here. As hockey titles and football titles are two totally different animals. One sport you have to play against a significantly higher amount of teams. That is a discussion for another time.

It's obvious NDSU misses UND more than UND misses NDSU. I've haven't heard any anti-Bison chants at any UND games since the last Sioux/Bison football game in 2003. They just can't seem to let the rivalry go. To be honest, it's kind of creepy. Like an ex-girlfriend/boyfriend that just can grasp that fact it is over.

• Upvote 3

So tell me where the real problem with the moniker is.

Is it with past UND fans saying "Go ....." or current NDSU fans still chanting "..... suck!"

I sure hope the NCAA hears about this incident.

NDSU deserves some NCAA "proctology" for a while.

You've sunk to davek level with that analogy.

Your really going to compare someone saying Sioux Suck to a guy dropping an N-Bomb? Several natives of those tribes refer to themselves as Sioux and prefer to be called Sioux. I don't think you will find very many black folks who like when you call them the N word. It'd be one thing if people were referring to the Sioux as a derogatory name(I don't think any of those are as bad as dropping an N bomb.) You sir, may have just won dumbest post of the day and it is only 8:30ish.

Not arguing with you here, but if you have ever lived outside your "white bread" world, "black folks" drop that word on each other ALL the time. Having lived in MSP and Portland, OR with a few "black folk" friends, it's not uncommon. We "white folks" just can't use it.

While I think the timing of a Sioux Suck chant was very strange, I've never had a problem with the chant itself. If you can't say your rival sucks (spare me any "we've moved on from the rivalry" arguments please), that's a problem for someone else to deal with. And UND has dealt with it. I do find the johnny come lately effort by local media to turn the chant into a racial slur somewhat entertaining though. Seems to be the cause du jour.

Check the twitter/facebook posts of quite a few of your players. A few weeks ago, a Lehigh fan did just that and found more than a handful using the exact word that got the Lehigh player suspended. So there's that...

I do find the johnny come lately effort by local media to turn the chant into a racial slur somewhat entertaining though. Seems to be the cause du jour.

Agreed. Basically a case of "we told ya so" by the local media, while quietly trumpeting the demise of the Sioux moniker at UND ...

http://www.grandfork...icle/id/226167/

I thought this commentary deserves its own thread.

A lot really to think about that has already been discussed in other threads. Now that the name is gone, or at least is "officially retired", what will those folks down south of Grand Forks do?

NDSU athletic director Gene Taylor has already issued an apology to Brian Faison, his counterpart at UND.

I bet that hurt coming out of Taylor's mouth.

It doesn't matter what I think. I said to ask Jesse Taken Alive and Tex Hall. They are the "opinion makers" on this issue. And the NCAA seems to listen to them. I'd enjoy hearing their thoughts on NDSU's favorite chant now that UND has officially retired the moniker.

It doesn't matter what I think. I said to ask Jesse Taken Alive and Tex Hall. They are the "opinion makers" on this issue. And the NCAA seems to listen to them. I'd enjoy hearing their thoughts on NDSU's favorite chant now that UND has officially retired the moniker.

Where is Ron His Horse Is Thunder...he loved the media when he was fighting the Sioux name, where is he now? How come these people are so silent?

It would raise some interesting issues if somebody claimed "Sioux suck" is "hate speech", and possibly subject to a school's own Code of Conduct ...

To be honest when I heard that the fans where chanting Sioux Suck I kind of expected it from them but to hear that a football player from NDSU started in on the chant is really in poor class and tasteless in my opinion. It truly is despicable and should not be tolerated one bit. For that I am glad that I wasn't cheering for the bison and I will never cheer for the bison in any sport regardless if the media wants to claim they are from North Dakota and we should cheer for them. Hogwash! They showed their true colors and my opinion is that the bison football team will never again sniff that title game again. Enjoy while it lasted because next year is a different story. In the near future I see one Craig Bohl moving on and a downward spiral for bison. I am over this topic. Next

• Upvote 1

A buddy of mine was in Texas for the game and he said you wouldn't have believed the number of Bison fans who were wearing Sioux suck T-shirts at the game. . He said it was being chanted in the tailgaite area before the game and he heard the chant in the stadium to. The Bison/ Sioux rivalry is very much alive in Fargo. A person NEVER hears Bison chants at any UND game. UND fans have moved on but apparently Bison fans haven't.

• Upvote 4

A buddy of mine was in Texas for the game and he said you wouldn't have believed the number of Bison fans who were wearing Sioux suck T-shirts at the game. . He said it was being chanted in the tailgaite area before the game and he heard the chant in the stadium to. The Bison/ Sioux rivalry is very much alive in Fargo. A person NEVER hears Bison chants at any UND game. UND fans have moved on but apparently Bison fans haven't.

Of course Sioux fans have moved on, we have shown that we can survive without them. When we go to National Tournaments (aka the Frozen Four) us Sioux Fans don't wear stuff that says "Bison Suck" because they are irrelevant to us. We have won 7 D1 titles LONG before they even sniffed D1 (if you are trying to say they can't be compared, I would say you might be right but the Frozen Four gets more coverage than that FCS title game did).

• Upvote 3

Back in 2006, ESPN Gonzaga basketball fans chanted "brokeback mountain" at West Virginia players and several signs were spotted in the stands reading "brokeback mountaineers." Gonzaga requested video from ESPN and students identified leading chants and carrying signs faced disciplinary action. Funny, though, I can't recall ANYONE saying that if West Virginia simply changed its nickname, that the problem would be solved. The University of Pittsburgh had similar problems with their football fans in 2008 for the very same reasons.

The double-standard is unbelievable.