SiouxSports.com Forum

UND/NDSU football commentary: You can't retire stupid

Hayduke

These are your big-time schools that play hockey. If hockey was a national sport, and was a national sport from the beginning(i.e. basketball and football), UND wouldn't have been a part of division I. Teams like Penn State, Texas, USC, Florida, etc. would all play it at the Division 1 level. UND would have been in division II with other national division II teams like St. Cloud, Duluth, etc. To me, bragging about division 1 hockey titles is a lot like bragging about Lacrosse titles. When you play in a very, very regional sport, you have little-no right bragging about national titles in it over a "lower level" of football, or comparing it to winning March Madness. But, it is a national title.

Do I really have to take you back to geography class here? When is the last time you have seen a frozen pond in florida or texas or california. Yes it is a regional game because there was no way to have a hockey program in Florida or Texas back in 1929 when UND had its first hockey team.

At how many of those "bigtime" hockey schools is hockey the number one priority?

Michigan? Not even close.

Ohio State? No.

Boston College? Possibly. Hockey might be the most popular unless Doug Flutie returns there.

Minnesota? State of hockey. Probably. Though it doesn't help that they suck at FB right now.

Michigan State? Nope.

Notre Dame? Rudy, Rudy, Rudy!

Wisconsin? Football school.

These are your big-time schools that play hockey.

You can now add Penn State to the list. Anyway, please list your 8 big-time FCS schools.

Do I really have to take you back to geography class here? When is the last time you have seen a frozen pond in florida or texas or california. Yes it is a regional game because there was no way to have a hockey program in Florida or Texas back in 1929 when UND had its first hockey team.

You know, I grew up in North Dakota, never have watched anyone play hockey on a frozen pond, I know it happens, but you get the point. In Texas last week, I saw people playing hockey on ice outdoors, outdoor hockey must be feasible down there this time of year with cooling coils or whatever technology hockey uses. Even big schools in hockey areas don't all play. Colorado, Colorado St., Rutgers, Illinois, Penn State(Recently got it, about time).

You can now add Penn State to the list. Anyway, please list your 8 big-time FCS schools.

Almost all the big-time schools are members of the FBS. At least we do get an opportunity to play against them. I do believe that if one of the big guys in California, such as USC, UCLA, or Cal started a hockey team, they'd end up being better than teams like UND or Maine, or Saint Cloud. Off topic, but I wish hockey forced guys to stay until after their junior year like football.

Appalachian State (everyone knows of them now)

Villanova

Georgetown

How many future NHL players play in the Frozen Four title game? How many future NFL players play in the Division I-AA title game?

Check-mate!!!

And how many people watch the NHL? Heck, only 5 players from last years BCS national championship even got drafted into the NFL. So naturally fewer people are going to make it to the FCS game. It is a lot harder to get NFL quality players to any college than to get NHL quality players to a school. They have a small pool of places to go to play at a higher level. Of course the best collegiate hockey teams are going to be churning out professionals at a very impressive rate(UND and Minnesota seem to do this very well). College football, Division 1, has around 240-250 schools for them. A lot more options, not to mention football doesn't have the same 10 teams who are consistently the best the way hockey does...football has a more even distribution of talent even with the BCS conferences obviously hogging the "best" recruits.

I heard a rumor that NDS-who wants a piece of LSU. It'll never happen, but in theory I would so love to watch that game.

I don't know anyone who seriously wants to play LSU or Alabama. Some people made signs for it at the game and what not but I feel like anyone with any knowledge whatsoever knows that it would not go well. I do think it'd be closer than UND's game against Idaho! ;)

How I long for the day when discussions about UND/NDSU football don't involve UND hockey.

It never will because it's all UND fans can rebuttal with. Neither FCS FB or D1 hockey are relevant nationally and nobody outside of the schools playing them care about either of them. Everyone here needs to deal with it.

• Upvote 1

Just because some Bison fans and players are yelling Sioux suck, that is a reminder of why we need to get this behind us? Are you kidding me?

Ten years from now Bison fans will be yelling Sioux suck, but who cares? There isn't one member of the Spirit Lake Tribe that thinks the chant is directed at them. I didn't hear Eunice Davidson demanding an apology. Only Gene Taylor, ROK, Bernard Franklin, Mark Emmert, Elliot Glassheim, John Hoeven and the SBoHE are dumb enough to think that. I purposely left a few people off that list, including the three stooges who have represented North Dakota, because they're not capable of thinking.

It's comical how NDSU and Gene Taylor felt the need to come out with an apology. The only thing dumber now will be if ROK comes out and says he accepts Mean Gene's apology. I'm actually surprise he hasn't. All these clowns must think they are full blooded Sioux since they are the only one's who get offended by the name. Will someone please go and tell these idiots that they are white guys with no Native American blood and they have no clue what is offensive to the Spirit Lake Sioux.

If I remember right, Hoeven got his degree from Dartmouth and Kelley came through Berkeley. I believe they, along with the others, got their Masters Degrees in Stupid. Some didn't get "Stupid" enough so they went on to receive the Doctorate and that explains why your average 5th grader has a better grasp on life than these dolts.

So should I be calling you Dr. Rick?

Almost all the big-time schools are members of the FBS. At least we do get an opportunity to play against them. I do believe that if one of the big guys in California, such as USC, UCLA, or Cal started a hockey team, they'd end up being better than teams like UND or Maine, or Saint Cloud.

Villanova

Georgetown

This is your list? I asked for 8. Everyone new about Appy State for a few days but that is pretty much forgotten. I suspect 99% of the population associated with FBS teams have no clue who Appy State is. I hate to rag on FCS because that's what UND is playing also, but NDSU fans need to put this in perspective. Much of Fargo bought into Smokey Joe's snake oil pitch, and they still do, but FCS is what it is. I think we all wish it was more, but It's pretty much what DII was 10 years ago only with more scholarships. It's unfortunate that the BCS National Championship game is right behind the FCS game. Even if they were a week apart, the FCS game might get a little more notice. But everyone, with the exception of the two small schools involved in the FCS title game, seems to want to watch a few guys on ESPN making FBS predictions than watching NDSU play Sam Houston State play for the championship. Again, it is what it is.

Like you say, the Bison (just like everyother FCS team) at least has an opportunity to play against the "Big Boys." But, the closest they'll come to Fargo is if their flight plan takes them overhead at 40,000 feet. When Michigan, Michigan State, Wisconsin, Notre Dame, Boston College, and Ohio State play against the Sioux, their flights actually stop in Grand Forks. Penn State will be making the stop at some point also, as soon as UND lets them on the Sioux schedule. I will give you one thing though, the Minnesota Gophers do come to Fargo and almost pass through the NDSU campus as they travel up to Grand Forks to play UND.

• Upvote 2

Like you say, the Bison (just like everyother FCS team) at least has an opportunity to play against the "Big Boys." But, the closest they'll come to Fargo is if their flight plan takes them overhead at 40,000 feet. When Michigan, Michigan State, Wisconsin, Notre Dame, Boston College, and Ohio State play against the Sioux, their flights actually stop in Grand Forks. Penn State will be making the stop at some point also, as soon as UND lets them on the Sioux schedule. I will give you one thing though, the Minnesota Gophers do come to Fargo and almost pass through the NDSU campus as they travel up to Grand Forks to play UND.

Hey now.....NDSU played Georgia Southern.....whose plane landed in Tuscaloosa Alabama.....Same thing right?

We can also rebuttal with victories in 9 of the last 11 Nickel Trophy games including the last three in a row, and 10 of the last 13 overall Sioux/Bison games including playoffs.

we can also rebuttle 9>1 in football championships OR 20 > 11 in overall athletic championships.

Why? It's not as if you play every single one of the teams during the regular season or playoffs to have to win the National Championship in FCS football. Reality is when the season begins only 15 to 25 teams at most have a legitimate chance at an FCS title. Even though there are less D1 hockey teams- there's problem 15 or so that could win a national championship at the start of the year. But again, you don't have to play every single team so just because there's more- 120 FCS schools doesn't make it any harder. Yes if you had to play every single one to win the championship-then yes...it would be definitively harder- but you don't. That's got to be Ag School reasoning on this. In FCS playoffs- you can receive a bye, and home field advantage. None of those are available once the D1 hockey playoffs begin.

Those that argue that because they don't play D1 hockey in Florida or Texas is a reason to diminish hockey championships. Well the FCS doesn't have schools in a lot of places either.

Let's face it- both are difficult to win. There is no adequate way to settle the argument of which championship is more difficult to attain or who has the right to be prouder of their championship. We'll be proud of our championships. You be proud of yours.

I like this post.

But, to me personally, North Dakota's one football national championship is more impressive than the hockey titles. Just my opinion. But I wouldn't trade either for the other.

Yeah schools like Ohio State and Michigan State will travel to places like NDSU or UND for their secondary sports, not sure what point you are trying to make with that.

Yeah schools like Ohio State and Michigan State will travel to places like NDSU or UND for their secondary sports, not sure what point you are trying to make with that.

Has these two schools ever or will ever see the BSA? I know they both will not see the Betty.

Yeah schools like Ohio State and Michigan State will travel to places like NDSU or UND for their non-revenue sports, not sure what point you are trying to make with that.

Fixed it for you, and even then its quite a bit of a stretch. Big difference between secondary and non-revenue.

Almost all the big-time schools are members of the FBS. At least we do get an opportunity to play against them. I do believe that if one of the big guys in California, such as USC, UCLA, or Cal started a hockey team, they'd end up being better than teams like UND or Maine, or Saint Cloud. Off topic, but I wish hockey forced guys to stay until after their junior year like football.

Villanova

Georgetown

Why would the teams from California be better at hockey than Minnesota, Michigan, Boston College, or even Ohio St??? That's basically what you're saying when you say they'd be better than UND. Appalachian St..... oh yeah they're that team that upset somebody like 4 years ago right??? Yeah I can see why the recruits must just be swarming around that place now :silly: Georgetown and Villanova have football teams?? I just figured they were Bball-only schools.

The girl that held up the sign that said " We Want LSU" is obviously not that bright(so she must go the NDSU). That game would be around 80-90 to zero. The Bison would get absolutely destroyed and it would be fun to watch.

"LSU" = "Louis' School of Undertaking" .. ;):hypocrite:

Frankly, watching Alabama beat LSU was a bit of a snore for two "top tier" programs.

Fixed it for you, and even then its quite a bit of a stretch. Big difference between secondary and non-revenue.

Either way, typically if the sport isn't football or men's basketball they will travel to smaller schools. For the vast majority football basketball are the primary sports and everything else is secondary. At few schools hockey might be a primary/revenue sport or baseball or lacrosse or wrestling or volleyball.

We can also rebuttal with victories in 9 of the last 11 Nickel Trophy games including the last three in a row, and 10 of the last 13 overall Sioux/Bison games including playoffs.

If you think that rebuttal is better than 9 championships vs. 1 championship have at it. I didn't think it was possible for me to think you were any dumber. Guess I was wrong.

If you think that rebuttal is better than 9 championships vs. 1 championship have at it. I didn't think it was possible for me to think you were any dumber. Guess I was wrong.

Ok, you guys have 9 Championships and we still have beaten you ore times than you have beaten us!!! And looking at the last decade before we stoped playing, we DOMINATED you. 10 of the last 13 games UND won. Can't argue that is not dominating!!!

• Upvote 1