SiouxSports.com Forum

2011 FCS Playoffs

Hambone

I think all of you pundits are forgetting UNI. They were ranked # 1 until a loss to NDSU. They really should have beaten Iowa State.

If they are all healthy, look out for the Panthers. I am a ND fan as my nephew plays for them, but also a Panther fan. I live in Iowa,

so I need to be a Panther fan too. Another nephew played for the Panther's some years ago. Thanks for reading this.

A fan.

I think all of you pundits are forgetting UNI. They were ranked # 1 until a loss to NDSU. They really should have beaten Iowa State.

If they are all healthy, look out for the Panthers. I am a ND fan as my nephew plays for them, but also a Panther fan. I live in Iowa,

so I need to be a Panther fan too. Another nephew played for the Panther's some years ago. Thanks for reading this.

A fan.

How has Jer enjoyed his first year at UND? He has a lot of talent and I am sure we will see a great deal of him in the future.

Here is an article explaining the bids from JMU's side. Interesting that despite drawing 25K per game, the figured they would only draw 12K for a first round game:

http://jamesmadison....asp?CID=1297128

Then there is this.

http://www.college-sports-journal.com/index.php/79-college-sports-journal/chuck-burton/107-was-it-espn-that-chose-eastern-kentucky-for-the-field

Gotta love the NCAA. ???

Last year NDSU had only 12,202 in their first ever playoff game in the Fargodome, UND had playoff attendance problems when we played Winona State back in the DII days...why is playoff attendance poor up here? Is it tv? Or is it opponents? With NDSU playing possibly James Madison do you think that would boost the attendance?

Having only internet coverage of the game will also significantly boost attendance. If I work in the ndsu ticket office, I don't think I bark too loudly for TV coverage.

The Bison team that showed up the last two weeks will not be going to Frisco. Our once very deep team is suddenly thin in some key areas. Our QB is struggling with turf toe and his play has dropped off. Thankfully we have a week to heal up and if we can start playing the caliber of football we had mid-season the Bison will have an excelent chance to go all the way. I'm glad Montana is on the other half of the bracket cuz they are playing the best football in the FCS going in to post season play. I have a feeling they are going to steamroll the top half of the bracket and play either Georgia Southern or NDSU for the title.

I think the top 5 seeds look pretty even this year, and a case could be made for each of them to win the title. It will be hard for me to pick against the home team in any game that the Top 5 seeds are playing in. I actually think that #1 seed Sam Houston may be the weakest of the 5................I can't argue with them being the #1 seed since they are undefeated, but I also think they play in the weakest conference among the top 5................

The Bison team that showed up the last two weeks will not be going to Frisco. Our once very deep team is suddenly thin in some key areas. Our QB is struggling with turf toe and his play has dropped off. Thankfully we have a week to heal up and if we can start playing the caliber of football we had mid-season the Bison will have an excelent chance to go all the way. I'm glad Montana is on the other half of the bracket cuz they are playing the best football in the FCS going in to post season play. I have a feeling they are going to steamroll the top half of the bracket and play either Georgia Southern or NDSU for the title.

Staying healthy definately factors into not only the regular season but definately the playoffs. This year we had an offense that was pretty banged up all year and lost our second best defensive linemen with a handfull of games left. For us it may have been a blessing as it gave 3 other o-linemen and a few WRs some valuable playing time to build some depth for next year.

Last year NDSU had only 12,202 in their first ever playoff game in the Fargodome, UND had playoff attendance problems when we played Winona State back in the DII days...why is playoff attendance poor up here? Is it tv? Or is it opponents? With NDSU playing possibly James Madison do you think that would boost the attendance?

I think the article I linked about with JMU speaks volumes. JMU averages 25K per game and were only expecting 12K when they submitted their bid. These first round games are tricky because A). Holiday weekend and travel plans may be set. B). If you are a bubble team (like NDSU 2010), you really have less than a week to re-arrange plans. It's all excuses but it seems to ring true no matter where you are, even die hards like Montana.

I think the article I linked about with JMU speaks volumes. JMU averages 25K per game and were only expecting 12K when they submitted their bid. These first round games are tricky because A). Holiday weekend and travel plans may be set. B). If you are a bubble team (like NDSU 2010), you really have less than a week to re-arrange plans. It's all excuses but it seems to ring true no matter where you are, even die hards like Montana.

Do you think tv hurts a playoff team, I blame the FSSN for our poor attendance in playoff games with Winona State...5000??

It hasn't hurt our games.  UNI and Youngtown were sellouts and both on TV.

Playoff games, Dan. You guys are going to figure out its a whole different world when every single person needs to purchase a ticket. Remember the whopping 12,000 people you got last year for your first home playoff game in 18 years?

Do you think tv hurts a playoff team, I blame the FSSN for our poor attendance in playoff games with Winona State...5000??

I'm not sure about that. IMHO, the "die-hard" fans will want to be at the game. 12K last season (for me) was a disappointing number in Fargo, but it was a pretty rowdy crowd without the corpie, texting, smartphone type fans. In looking at the numbers and other expectations of other schools though, 12K was actually a decent number.

So with Winona State...would you rather have 5K "Sioux Fans" or 8K with 3K who are just bored at home? It's an interesting debate in playoff football regarding attendance.

I see Drake and San Diego tied at 9-2 for the Pioneer Football League title. SD was 25th in the Coaches poll, Drake got votes that would have made it about 30th. I feel better about that 16-0 early season Sioux win over Drake. I know the PFL is the only FCS non-scholarship conference, but the top teams somewhat hold their own at the FCS level.

Drake is rated # 133 in RealTime RPI.

San Diego # 138

UND #139

USD # 147

http://realtimerpi.c.../ncaaf_Men.html

I'm not sure about that. IMHO, the "die-hard" fans will want to be at the game. 12K last season (for me) was a disappointing number in Fargo, but it was a pretty rowdy crowd without the corpie, texting, smartphone type fans. In looking at the numbers and other expectations of other schools though, 12K was actually a decent number.

So with Winona State...would you rather have 5K "Sioux Fans" or 8K with 3K who are just bored at home? It's an interesting debate in playoff football regarding attendance.

Thanksgiving weekend is a tough weekend on attendance. Teams don't draw well the way it is, factor the fact that we had beat Winona by 40 the 3 games we played them previously along with the game being televised and its tough to sell tickets. The 2nd and 3rd rounds will be better and I'd imagine the fargodome will be sold out, or very close, for those games.

Playoff games, Dan. You guys are going to figure out its a whole different world when every single person needs to purchase a ticket. Remember the whopping 12,000 people you got last year for your first home playoff game in 18 years?

We'll have a sell out and by the way 12,000 for the Thanksgiving weekend was the best in the FCS last year in the first round.

We'll have a sell out and by the way 12,000 for the Thanksgiving weekend was the best in the FCS last year in the first round.

Still was well below your season average attendance. ndsu also probably had the highest regular season attendance average of all teams hosting playoff games last year. Wouldn't you have thought it would have been higher since it was the 1st ever playoff game in the Fargodome?

The Sioux hockey team didn't have any problems selling out a nonconference regular season series that same Thanksgiving weekend last year and I am guessing that a hockey ticket costs a bit more than a Bison football ticket.

• Upvote 1

Still was well below your season average attendance. ndsu also probably had the highest regular season attendance average of all teams hosting playoff games last year. Wouldn't you have thought it would have been higher since it was the 1st ever playoff game in the Fargodome?

Maybe but the team we were playing didn't help either.

Maybe but the team we were playing didn't help either.

The excuses are starting to come out. Bad opponent, Thanksgiving Weekend, etc. UND had to deal with those for 5 straight years of playoffs. Can you guys finally take back all you said about our first round playoff attendance? Seems like you are starting to finally realize and we can all agree.

• Upvote 1

The excuses are starting to come out. Bad opponent, Thanksgiving Weekend, etc. UND had to deal with those for 5 straight years of playoffs. Can you guys finally take back all you said about our first round playoff attendance? Seems like you are starting to finally realize and we can all agree.

Don't even try to compare attendance with NDSU. 5000 to 12000