SiouxSports.com Forum

2011 FCS Playoffs

Hambone

Anyone know the last time that a MFVC team won a playoff game against the CAA?

What's the MFVC vs CAA playoff record in the past decade?

I think the MVFC is 7-7 vs the CAA in the past decade. Last wins were UNI vs UNH and Maine in the 2008 playoffs, UNI lost to the eventual champ Richmond by 1 point in the semifinals that year.

What are Bison fans thoughts about the matchup against JM?

They love to run the ball and are very deliberate on offense, I think it is a decent match up for the Bison. They have a smallish but quick DL, we should be able to run the ball based on what I saw of the JMU-EKU game. If they had more of a passing game I'd be a bit more concerned, they are kind of like UNI but without the dual threat of a solid passing attack.

What are Bison fans thoughts about the matchup against JM?

JMU's QB reminds me of UNI's Rennie but not as good or fast. JMU, from what I saw against EKU, is too 1-dimensional. Their passing game is not very good and pass protection did not look too consistent. They like to run and I guess it works for them.

Bison should be able to move the ball against them. Passing game should be open also. If the Bison do not turn the ball over, I fully expect a 2-3 TD win.....but if we turn the ball over...who knows.

The Bison's Tampa-2 defense is going to get tested by the run. The bend-but-don't break system has worked this year but they better be ready to stop the run. A loud crowd will also help.

Should be a good game. It will be interesting to see a CAA team play....

Part of JMU at NDSU will come down to whether or not one side can get up two scores and really start to dictate pace.

If it's NDSU, I don't seem JMU having comeback offense.

If it's JMU, they'll grind the clock and it'll put pressure onto that bad turf-toe of the NDSU QB as NDSU will be forced to throw.

Hadn't realized that the MVFC/Gateway has had only four teams in the FCS championship game, winning two of them (Youngstown St and W Kentucky have one championship). WKU isn't even a member of the league anymore.

Next time a Bison fan talks about the Big Sky being the Big Fluffy, they need to recognize by their own smack standards that the MVFC is the Big Puffy in comparison (in honor of the puffed out Bison fans' chests with participation ribbons).

Ouch, that really hurt my feelings.

Hadn't realized that the MVFC/Gateway has had only four teams in the FCS championship game, winning two of them (Youngstown St and W Kentucky have one championship). WKU isn't even a member of the league anymore.

Next time a Bison fan talks about the Big Sky being the Big Fluffy, they need to recognize by their own smack standards that the MVFC is the Big Puffy in comparison (in honor of the puffed out Bison fans' chests with participation ribbons).

Yup. Bison fans are the only one's in any sport I've heard talk about how good their conference is. :silly:

Second Round - December 3

Stony Brook at (1) Sam Houston State

New Hampshire at Montana State

Wofford at (5) Northern Iowa

Central Arkansas at (4) Montana

Old Dominion at (3) Georgia Southern

Maine at Appalachian State

Lehigh at Towson

James Madison at (2) North Dakota State

Had to pick a couple of road wins. I want App vs GS in round 3, that would be a great matchup. Just not sure on Northern Iowa. They played a number of tight games down the stretch, but maybe homefield will get them over the hump. Leheigh vs Towson could be a solid matchup as well.

As for the Bison, I think the biggest injury to watch is Austin Richards. He is a pig and anchor of the O line. I believe it would take someone to shoot him in the face to keep him out though. NDSU needs to get a good jump. They haven't been in this situation before and if they get down 7-10 in the first half I can see the home crowd pinching their bung holes. I think RB Sam Ojuri could have a huge game, and with what seems like a healthy (healthier defense), I predict NDSU controls the game and wins 24-14.

Stony Brook at (1) Sam Houston State

New Hampshire at Montana State

Wofford at (5) Northern Iowa

Central Arkansas at (4) Montana

Old Dominion at (3) Georgia Southern

Maine at Appalachian State

Lehigh at Towson

James Madison at (2) North Dakota State

I think that the games should all be close ones, with the potential exceptions being Stony Brook/SHSU and Central Arkansas/Montana. Awesome slate of games for the weekend.

I think I made my second-round picks already by default back here:

I look at that bracket, and honestly, they could go down to 8 teams this year ...

I see Montana State surprising SHSU and then a rematch with the Griz (who slip past UNI because of the outdoor elements).

I see Georgia Southern and App State in an epic game with the winner facing NDSU (who dispatched Towson).

Re-reading that, I think I took all the home teams this weekend.

It's being reported here in Montana that ESPN has backed off of its ESPN3 internet-only coverage of the second round FCS games and has included them in the College Gameday Package this weekend...will still cost people around $25 for the package but for that you get all 8 FCS games as well as all the FBS games, sounds like a good time to get some buddies to come over and chip in on the cost.

IDK if it's been talked about on here, but a lot of Montana's internet providers don't offer ESPN3, so there was a huge email and facebook campaign, and direct contact by our legislators to ESPN to try to persuade them to change their mind...and believe it or not...it actually worked!

Score one for the little guys for a change, should be good news for NDSU and other FCS schools who would have been left with no options if they couldn't get ESPN3.

It's being reported here in Montana that ESPN has backed off of its ESPN3 internet-only coverage of the second round FCS games and has included them in the College Gameday Package this weekend...will still cost people around $25 for the package but for that you get all 8 FCS games as well as all the FBS games, sounds like a good time to get some buddies to come over and chip in on the cost.

IDK if it's been talked about on here, but a lot of Montana's internet providers don't offer ESPN3, so there was a huge email and facebook campaign, and direct contact by our legislators to ESPN to try to persuade them to change their mind...and believe it or not...it actually worked!

Score one for the little guys for a change, should be good news for NDSU and other FCS schools who would have been left with no options if they couldn't get ESPN3.

Not really. CableOne in Fargo does NOT carry gameplan, but MidCon in West Fargo and Moorhead has it for a fee. So unless you have a dish in Fargo you still cannot see it from your living room...Thanks CableOne. :sneaky:

TV coverage is an absolute joke. The game is "essentially" a sell out (I'm not gonna get into the dumbass student ticket policy, which could potentially open up 1,000 or so more seats), and you gotta pull strings to a certain degree to see the game if you don't have a ticket. Lee Timmerman out in Bismarck here said earlier this week that they tried to get the rights for coverage but ESPN wouldn't allow it. If I'm correct, ESPN will be broadcasting the QTRF rounds on out in some capacity (ESPNU, ESPN3.com, etc) and dictating the schedule. If the Bison are fortunate enough to win this weekend I imagine we will see them next Friday as opposed to Saturday.

TV coverage is an absolute joke. The game is "essentially" a sell out (I'm not gonna get into the dumbass student ticket policy, which could potentially open up 1,000 or so more seats), and you gotta pull strings to a certain degree to see the game if you don't have a ticket. Lee Timmerman out in Bismarck here said earlier this week that they tried to get the rights for coverage but ESPN wouldn't allow it. If I'm correct, ESPN will be broadcasting the QTRF rounds on out in some capacity (ESPNU, ESPN3.com, etc) and dictating the schedule. If the Bison are fortunate enough to win this weekend I imagine we will see them next Friday as opposed to Saturday.

I know that FSN was able to pick up and air the espn3.com coverage of the Sioux game and Bemidji St. game in the 2010 NCAA hockey tourney. The Sioux game was also on last year, but I am not sure whether it was planned to be on ESPN2 or not. Either way, it is possible for TV stations to pick up the games for the right price.

Yes. The local stations last year were able to pickup the Bison games at Montana State and Eastern Washington. For whatever reason (this according to Timmerman I guess) ESPN wouldn't release the rights to allow them to broadcast. While it is still available, it kind of sucks that it is not on KFYR/NBC for those who don't have Game Plan. It doesn't affect me, I'll be in my seat.