SiouxSports.com Forum

USD at UND

fightingsioux4life

I'm guessing maybe its because of a rogue poster whose name rhymes with "makes fries in", the message board pariah of the internets.

Well, lakesbison is registered and has been over there this week to tell them how easily they will dismantle UND......

Does anyone know how many tickets have been sold? I have my 3! :) This will be the first time in at least 5 or so years I have made it to more than 1 Sioux game. I cannot wait!!! This is more exciting than the other game I went too (BHSU).

According to Ticketmaster there are about 4500 tickets still available. :sad:

I've been critical of UND"s marketing, particularly of football and basketball, but I received a phone call tonight thanking me for my support of Fighting Sioux athletics and a reminder to be at the game this weekend to support UND in their quest for a Great West Conference championship. I was also encouraged to spread the word to people as they are looking to pack the house. I was going to the game anyway, but it is nice to see them stepping up efforts to get attendance up at the game and give them a chance to show off what has become an improved product on the field. Kudos UND athletic marketing!

I also received this same call at work. We need more of this.

UND football has always had a decent amount of walk-up due to people knowing they don't need to get tickets early.

That's what I was thinking also. If we can get over 10,000 on Saturday, given how attendance has been the past couple of seasons, it would probably be considered quite good. And with roughly 7700 tickets apparently spoken for right now, that seems like a decent possibility.

I believe the difference will be between having a great turnout on Saturday on not having one will be 1- students. They have been nothing short of dissapointing far more times than they have been impressive. If we get a numerous, strong, active, and vocal student body at the game on Saturday that will go a long ways. Secondly, the general public in Grand Forks. Those that only attend a game or 2 a year, that are not season ticket holders or regulars. If they come out then that will be huge. I know both myself and neighbor who are season ticketholders both received calls from the Athletics department last night and the night prior. They don't have to worry about us as we both intend to go and use all our tickets but, it's how we get the periphery fan and student that will make a difference.

Considering I've suffered through some less than get you excited oppenents in recent years, including this year. I'm certainly not going to miss a game where there is something on the line and it's a good opponent. I hope people look at it that way. If you've been using the excuse of not going recently because you say "the team doesn't play for anything" or "that they have been playing the Sisters of the Poor" ... that excuse goes right out the window for this game. We are playing for something and it's a good opponent. See you Saturday. Beat the Yotes!

Lets look at reality here. This is for the share of a toilet bowl conference title...yes it has been a great conference this year. However the term great west still doesn't bring fans into the stadium. No one cares if we win the great west. Yeah it looks good, but I believe winning the Great west brings in recruits or fans. Two years from now, the stadium will be packed again for the Big Sky. See you all there on saturady.

Lets look at reality here. This is for the share of a toilet bowl conference title...yes it has been a great conference this year. However the term great west still doesn't bring fans into the stadium. No one cares if we win the great west. Yeah it looks good, but I believe winning the Great west brings in recruits or fans. Two years from now, the stadium will be packed again for the Big Sky. See you all there on saturady.

Devil's advocate:

Two years from now what will we be getting excited for, just another measly FCS conference game. Try 20 years from now, the stadium will be packed for the Big 12.

I could care less what conference we are playing for. The fact is that we are actually competing for a conference title in a year that we have no chance of playoff eligibility and we have already exceeded a large number of expectations, regardless of the fact that we still have trouble completing the forward pass. This is a game against a rival team that not only holds meaning as a rivalry game, but also holds meaning for being able to put a conference banner up, and to top that off it's also the last game for the group of seniors that has stuck out this transition even though they had "nothing to play for."

• Upvote 2

--

This has so many contradictions I feel "more stupider" for having tried figuring it out.

Its a toilet bowl....but it was great.

No one cares if we win....but it brings in recruits and fans.

• Upvote 2

TSN Game Capsule

No. 22 South Dakota Coyotes (6-4, 2-1 Great West) at North Dakota Fighting Sioux (7-3, 2-1), 2 p.m.

Series record: North Dakota leads, 59-29-5

Last meeting: at South Dakota 27, North Dakota 17 (Oct. 2, 2010)

What to know: The final meeting between the two schools as conference rivals, the winner will more than bragging rights. It will clinch a share of the final Great West championship with Cal Poly. North Dakota will join the Big Sky next season, while South Dakota is entering the MVC.

Both teams have been efficient in the red zone and when it comes to turnovers. The schools are tied for sixth nationally in red zone percentage (31 of 34), while South Dakota has committed the third-fewest turnovers (nine) and North Dakota checks in at No. 7 (12).

Even with the efficiency on offense, points have been hard to come by the past couple of weeks for North Dakota. The Fighting Sioux have a combined 29 points in their last two games and have yet to score more than 28 points in a game against an FCS opponent.

Prediction: North Dakota 13, South Dakota 10

I've been critical of UND"s marketing, particularly of football and basketball, but I received a phone call tonight thanking me for my support of Fighting Sioux athletics and a reminder to be at the game this weekend to support UND in their quest for a Great West Conference championship. I was also encouraged to spread the word to people as they are looking to pack the house. I was going to the game anyway, but it is nice to see them stepping up efforts to get attendance up at the game and give them a chance to show off what has become an improved product on the field. Kudos UND athletic marketing!

I'm curious as to where UND Athletics marketing is failing you. Everytime I turn on the tv at home I see a promo for some upcoming game. Evertime I turn on the radio- ah yes another promo. There's facebook and twitter. And according to my daughter who attends, the students are constantly inundated to the point that there is chalk on the sidewalk when they walk to class. Not to mention the Herald basically caters to them by writing story after story about the sports programs day after day. I'm a little surprised that a took a phone call of all things to give them kudos in marketing. I guess my point is I find it hard to believe that they've been doing a bad job. A simple phone call isn't going to sway it one way or another. It's another nice addition but I think they have utilized many avenues.

I'm curious as to where UND Athletics marketing is failing you. Everytime I turn on the tv at home I see a promo for some upcoming game. Evertime I turn on the radio- ah yes another promo. There's facebook and twitter. And according to my daughter who attends, the students are constantly inundated to the point that there is chalk on the sidewalk when they walk to class. Not to mention the Herald basically caters to them by writing story after story about the sports programs day after day. I'm a little surprised that a took a phone call of all things to give them kudos in marketing. I guess my point is I find it hard to believe that they've been doing a bad job. A simple phone call isn't going to sway it one way or another. It's another nice addition but I think they have utilized many avenues.

The problem with UND athletics marketing is that outside of the Greater Grand Forks area (except for perhaps the Northern Red River Valley), UND does not have the presence that it should have considering it is again (thank God) the largest university in the State of North Dakota. Both football and basketball have been short-changed in marketing for years and years. For a long, long time, football wasn't advertised until a week before the first game. And once the commercials start, they take on the following attitude: Hey, Sioux football is back. We are at home this weekend. Tickets are available. Come and check it out, unless you have something more important going on. If you listen to NDSU marketing, it makes you want to drive to Fargo overnight to buy a ticket to a game (football and/or basketball). When the UND Women's Basketball Team was winning national titles in the 1990's, it did not generate the level of hype and excitement in the marketing that it should have. When NDSU's women's team was winning national titles before that, they made it seem like they were beating the UConn's and Tennessee's of the world. I do not like NDSU athletics at all, but they have much better marketing of their programs than we do. And if we are going to succeed at the Division I level, we will need to change that. It has real world consequences for attendance, fundraising, recruiting, media exposure, ect.