SiouxSports.com Forum

Cal-Poly thoughts/predictions

homer

After the bye week the football team gets ready to take the field this Saturday for Homecoming vs. Cal Poly.. What are everyone's thoughts on this one? I'm interested to see how the young defensive linemen answer the call now that they will be more heavily relied upon in the rotation. Also, did the bye week help the recent lack of a passing game? They will get tested this week as Cal Poly brings in one of the top corners in FCS. Should be fun.

It's a case of strength vs. strength:

-Poly running game vs. UND run defense;

-UND run offense vs. Poly run defense;

and weakness vs. weakness:

-both teams' passing game vs. pass defenses that have given up considerable yardage.

It just seems like this might be a better matchup for UND, particularly considering last year's team with a much weaker defense and running game nearly knocked off a pretty decent Poly team in SLO.

If UND can avoid losing the turnover battle, and get above-average production, by this year's standards, from the passing game (150-plus yards), I think the Sioux win this one.

Gonna be a hell of a game. Best crowd of the year too with homecoming. Tickets still remain, if you want to see what it's like to have a big crowd in the Al, this is the game to go to.

Damn, has it been so long that this is a reasonable question? :)

Should be a great game! I just got back to Colorado from a week off in Nodak and I was able to catch the Western game and then the BC game; I wish that trip was this week bc I really wanted to catch the Poly game!

Will be watching on FCS and I hope to see a full crowd! Go Sioux!

This should be a slobber knocker of a game. Mano a Mano. Strenght vs strength. Both teams excell in the run game, both teams defend the run well and both teams struggle a little in the pass game. The winner of this game will most likely win the Great West. Wish I could be there, but I will most definately be glued to the TV.

• Upvote 1

Triple option is a bitch to defend. One key will be how well our LBs play and how well our CBs can fill. D-line should be solid. DB's also need to play man when they have too and keep their passing game in front of us. If they can get outside on us we will have trouble. If we can force them to throw we need to put better heat on the QB. O-line has done a great job and if we can run and Bradley manages game without turnovers we will win. Zeb Miller wins it with a field goal late.

Triple option is a bitch to defend. One key will be how well our LBs play and how well our CBs can fill. D-line should be solid. DB's also need to play man when they have too and keep their passing game in front of us. If they can get outside on us we will have trouble. If we can force them to throw we need to put better heat on the QB. O-line has done a great job and if we can run and Bradley manages game without turnovers we will win. Zeb Miller wins it with a field goal late.

UND did have an extra week to prepare(2 extra weeks if you consider the opponent the week before) to practice for the triple option. That can't hurt UND's chances at all.

UND did have an extra week to prepare(2 extra weeks if you consider the opponent the week before) to practice for the triple option. That can't hurt UND's chances at all.

Absolutely, they bye week is huge when preparing for an offence like this. Plus healing up a bit can only help at this point. I hope both Nodak teams win this weekend!

I remember when we used to play Cal-Poly we would always have a special scheme lined up for them because of their unique offensive sets. It always bit us in the butt, because we weren't as familiar with our responsibilities in that defense as we were our base sets. They had some pretty amazing personell back when I played, but even if they hadn't we blew so many coverages because we were unfamiliar with our responsibilities and out of our comfort zone. Hopefully UND doesn't make a similar mistake.

Too bad you can't make it!

Man I wish I could, but I have a 10 year old daughter who I help coach in soccer and a 7 year old daughter who also plays (both have games this weekend) and a wife who travels for work and is going to be out of town this weekend.

I hope to make it to Grand Forks in the future. I would love to talk football over a couple of cold ones with some of the great Sioux fans before a game. I hear the dome there really rocks during games. It sounds like a great atmosphere for college football and one that I would really enjoy. You'll have to have a couple of extra cold ones for me before this weekends game. I really think who ever wins this game will win the last Great West Championship.

Looking forward to fighting it out with the Sioux for future Big Sky Championships.

• Upvote 4

I think North Dakota has a great chance to win this game as long as they perform the way they have in every game thus far..............

If they establish the running game and don't turn the ball over they will win.

If Poly comes out and stuffs the run, we are screwed.

Two very similar teams that match up well. I like UND because they are at home. If it was in SLO I'd pick Poly........................