SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

40 minutes ago, Yote 53 said:

So they plan to apply to the Summit pending the St. Thomas outcome?  Why not apply now?  It's not like we haven't been hearing Augie to the Summit for years.  Everybody knows the details at this point.

I think there's an application fee of a couple hundred grand, right?  Probably don't want to throw that at a lost cause.

Bozoville is panicking because they believe SCSU has pulled an Omaha by dropping fb and adding men's soccer  and is getting a Summit League invite as a travel partner for UST.

The priority for TSL expansion is UST, Augie if UST doesn't get a waiver, and no one else.  TSL can't invite two sub DI schools in one year as both could only play a partial TSL schedule as the TSL would have four sub DI games the first year.  The Southland broke the rules when Incar Word and ACU joined the same year and the whole conference had to amend their schedules late after the error was realized.  A move up school is still looked upon as a lower level for one year, 

21 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Bozoville is panicking because they believe SCSU has pulled an Omaha and is getting a Summit League invite.

The priority for TSL expansion is UST, Augie if UST doesn't get a waiver, and no one else.  TSL can't invite two sub DI schools in one year as both could only play a partial TSL schedule as the TSL would have four sub DI games the first year.  The Southland broke the rules when Incar Word and ACU joined the same year.

I assume this is basketball you're talking about? 

Is there a rule that a team can't play two road games against sub D1 competition in a single year? 

Edit: I found it: NCAA Bylaw 20.9.8.1 states: “An institution may schedule and play not more than four basketball games, including any contest (e.g., scrimmage, exhibition), in an academic year against institutions that are not members of Division I. (Revised: 3/1/12)” This language is also reinforced by Southland Operating Code 3.02.02 (Non-Division I Opponents). 

So there isn't an issue with two non D1 counters joining the league in the same year, however none of the SL teams could then play any other non D1 games. 

The Southland did get a waiver from the NCAA when those two teams were added so there is a precedent for being able to add two at once and still play other non D1 teams. 

3 hours ago, southpaw said:

I assume this is basketball you're talking about? 

Is there a rule that a team can't play two road games against sub D1 competition in a single year? 

Adding two sub DI teams means that no NAIA, D2 or D3 teams can be scheduled for basketball.

A conference double round robin schedule exceeds what is allowable. 

The Southland reported it prior to any team exceeding those games.  That is the reason they get a waiver and not been ineligible for post season.

2 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Bozoville is panicking because they believe SCSU has pulled an Omaha by dropping fb and adding men's soccer  and is getting a Summit League invite as a travel partner for UST.

The priority for TSL expansion is UST, Augie if UST doesn't get a waiver, and no one else.  TSL can't invite two sub DI schools in one year as both could only play a partial TSL schedule as the TSL would have four sub DI games the first year.  The Southland broke the rules when Incar Word and ACU joined the same year and the whole conference had to amend their schedules late after the error was realized.  A move up school is still looked upon as a lower level for one year, 

I happen to agree with Bisonville on this one.  I think SCSU is going to angle to go D1.  Why?  Because D2 sports with their offerings is not financially viable.  Once they cut football there is marginal costs in upgrading the rest of their sports but by doing so they gain more revenue opportunities in NCAA basketball money and just the ability to fundraise and increased profile of a D1 school.  UNO laid out the blueprint.  They were in financial distress and did the exact same thing and now they are doing much better as an athletic department.

SCSU is also facing dropping enrollment.  What better way to increase the school profile and reverse that trend than by going D1 and differentiating yourself from all the other D2 schools in Minnesota?

2 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Its a little early for you to be in the cups isnt it?

1 hour ago, Yote 53 said:

I happen to agree with Bisonville on this one.  I think SCSU is going to angle to go D1. 

So ... four NCHC schools in the Summit in that scenario. < gulp > 

If the Summit somehow added (took over?) hockey as a mens team sport, there goes the need for football to retain the BB autobid. You'd have enough mens team sports. @SiouxVolley thoughts? 

Heck, use the MVC/MVFC naming model: rename the Summit the "National Collegiate Conference" and hockey stays National Collegiate Hockey Conference. You have the NCHC and the ... return of the ... (gonna say it) ... NCC. :glare:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yote 53 said:

I happen to agree with Bisonville on this one.  I think SCSU is going to angle to go D1.  Why?  Because D2 sports with their offerings is not financially viable.  Once they cut football there is marginal costs in upgrading the rest of their sports but by doing so they gain more revenue opportunities in NCAA basketball money and just the ability to fundraise and increased profile of a D1 school.  UNO laid out the blueprint.  They were in financial distress and did the exact same thing and now they are doing much better as an athletic department.

SCSU is also facing dropping enrollment.  What better way to increase the school profile and reverse that trend than by going D1 and differentiating yourself from all the other D2 schools in Minnesota?

Maybe they angle for it, but it isn’t attainable.  SCSU athletics has been so dysfunctional that the Summit League would be very weary..  Their new men’s soccer will find a home in the GLIAC like Upper Iowa..  SCSU doesn’t seem to have major boosters like Mankato to give them added pizazz.  UNO at least had major booster $’s.  SCSU also doesn’t bring crap for academics, as that is increasingly important.  One MSP poster has said the MnSCU system won’t allow any of its schools to go fully DI.

I see the Summit being an eventual east-west league, EWU to Denver in the west and UND-Omaha-UST triangle in the east, so my vision is pretty set though.  SCSU could give Augie a run though when UST goes to the MVC, but Mankato is the one to watch.

9 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

I said a thousand times TSL will be FCS for a few years.

You said that the Summit and WAC would announce they would be realigning by July 1, 2018.
You also said that Big Sky and Summit would make their announcement by July 1, 2019 and doubled down saying you would "shut your trap permanently" about Summit movement if it didn't happen.

The grand vision of FBS and super-mega conferences isn't out there right now. Quit trying to read tea leaves that don't exist. There will always be smaller movements of sorts and at some point, there very well could be some bigger changes. But there isn't some master plan going on in the shadows that will have a great unveiling. You're trying to solve a puzzle that doesn't exist in the way you think it does.

On 4/26/2018 at 10:25 PM, SiouxVolley said:

A WAC will be realigned soon and the Summit moves will follow.  By July 1st.

On 5/16/2018 at 4:44 PM, SiouxVolley said:

By July 1st this will all get sorted out, as will the Summit and WAC.  

On 1/3/2019 at 9:08 PM, SiouxVolley said:

If the announcements aren’t made by July 1st, 2019, I’ll shut my trap permanently to this board about Summit movement.

But UND’s DI hopes for a stable conference would be over permanently too.

Both Dixie St and Metro St of Denver are scheduled to announce plans in January and look for them both to end up in the Big Sky.  They may announce for the WAC but get traded.

EWU, the Montanas, Idaho, and Weber st will announce plans soon after.

On 12/10/2019 at 9:59 AM, SiouxVolley said:

So now all the Cal FCS schools have coaches that are capable of leading an FBS move.

All those Cali schools will soon move to the WAC and begin the disintegration of the Big Sky to weaker and poorer schools.

I realize now you just mistyped in the first sentence and meant FCS.

In that case, your second sentence makes a bit more sense in that I could see them going to an FCS WAC.  You know, the same thing you said wouldn't happen but officials are quoted as saying it's coming. 

3 hours ago, Yote 53 said:

Probably right.  SCSU administration is too dysfunctional and crappy at their jobs to move the program to D1.  It's more likely that SCSU is in a downward spiral.

The lack of school pride amongst their alumni is astonishing from what I've seen.  

7 hours ago, jdub27 said:

You said that the Summit and WAC would announce they would be realigning by July 1, 2018.
You also said that Big Sky and Summit would make their announcement by July 1, 2019 and doubled down saying you would "shut your trap permanently" about Summit movement if it didn't happen.

The grand vision of FBS and super-mega conferences isn't out there right now. Quit trying to read tea leaves that don't exist. There will always be smaller movements of sorts and at some point, there very well could be some bigger changes. But there isn't some master plan going on in the shadows that will have a great unveiling. You're trying to solve a puzzle that doesn't exist in the way you think it does.

So afraid that your beloved Griz will be in a Dakota conference.  There are Griz posters that know FBS is coming, but you don't want them to have a voice either.  Some people don't even want to talk change,  while others embrace it.

One of the reason that UND didn't go DI earlier was there wasn't enough conference schools that UND could relate to.  The Montana's will step forward.

3 hours ago, Shawn-O said:

The lack of school pride amongst their alumni is astonishing from what I've seen.  

Yeah, their school spirit could have save fb but it isn't their.

When SCSU students picked a transgender homecoming queen in 2004, well before the current rage, fb was already on its deathbed.

• 3 weeks later...

There were posters here that accused me of knowing nothing about NCAA sports when I said Jacksonville U would steer the money they saved by dropping FCS non scholarship football into mbb, wbb, soccer and lacrosse (hmm, jdub**)

Well lo and behold JU is building a new basketball practice complex to up the ante and get back to the NCAA’s.

https://judolphins.com/news/2019/11/19/mens-basketball-jacksonville-athletics-announces-plans-to-build-basketball-performance-center.aspx

6 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

There were posters here that accused me of knowing nothing about NCAA sports when I said Jacksonville U would steer the money they saved by dropping FCS non scholarship football into mbb, wbb, soccer and lacrosse (hmm, jdub**)

Well lo and behold JU is building a new basketball practice complex to up the ante and get back to the NCAA’s.

https://judolphins.com/news/2019/11/19/mens-basketball-jacksonville-athletics-announces-plans-to-build-basketball-performance-center.aspx

1million predictions and the hog found an acorn.  :whistling:

• Upvote 1

On 12/27/2019 at 2:48 PM, bison73 said:

1million predictions and the hog found an acorn.  :whistling:

Over 2000 troll posts saying NDSU will not go FBS when NDSU AD Larsen said the opposite with two years lead time more than a month ago.

This troll is clearly against his own AD.  Your seeds are just more BS, which will be your entire posterity here.

11 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Over 2000 troll posts saying NDSU will not go FBS when NDSU AD Larsen said the opposite with two years lead time more than a month ago.

This troll is clearly against his own AD.  Your seeds are just more BS, which will be your entire posterity here.

Again---you are a liar.

Provide a link proving your assertions. 

On 12/27/2019 at 4:41 PM, SiouxVolley said:

What's funny is that the basketball center was announced two weeks before they announced they were dropping football.

On top of that, your post was mocked because of how you tried to position Jacksonville's past success in basketball, which consists of a single Cinderella run a half century ago and no NCAA appearances in 34 years. It had nothing to do with them sticking some of the savings into other sports. The ability to support other sports better was a huge part of their reasoning to drop football and no one disagreed with that.

• Upvote 1