SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

21 hours ago, SiouxFan100 said:

Wow

can anyone remember if this has happened before?

The MIAC has only lost UMD permanently in 1975, as its the academic powerhouse DIII conference for Minnesota.

Minn-Morris could join, but apparently chooses not to, staying with the low rated Upper Midwest Conference.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota_Intercollegiate_Athletic_Conference

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upper_Midwest_Athletic_Conference

Still believe that St Thomas wants out, and one President granted their wish in writing.  St Thomas is no different than Creighton, Marquette, DePaul etc and could be a future Big East member depending on its athletic performance.  The MVC is easily reachable for a private school like it is in a big market.

On 5/11/2019 at 6:51 PM, SiouxVolley said:

The MIAC has only lost UMD permanently in 1975, as its the academic powerhouse DIII conference for Minnesota.

Minn-Morris could join, but apparently chooses not to, staying with the low rated Upper Midwest Conference.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota_Intercollegiate_Athletic_Conference

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upper_Midwest_Athletic_Conference

Still believe that St Thomas wants out, and one President granted their wish in writing.  St Thomas is no different than Creighton, Marquette, DePaul etc and could be a future Big East member depending on its athletic performance.  The MVC is easily reachable for a private school like it is in a big market.

Morris is a public school, though.  Is the MIAC willing to let in a public school when they are all private now?  Some of those conferences get picky when it comes to public/private.

7 hours ago, NeutralObserver said:

Morris is a public school, though.  Is the MIAC willing to let in a public school when they are all private now?  Some of those conferences get picky when it comes to public/private.

The MIAC has shown that they would take in a UM branch like Duluth, because it’s higher academics (PhD’s and programs) than Minn St schools.  The small schools in the MIAC are located in the Cities, Moorhead, Winona, or tiny towns within a half hour of the Cities.

UM-Morris is rather highly thought of by academic types, but it is small in a tiny town.  They probably can’t afford higher athletic spending, so they don’t pursue it.  SW Minn St and Winona St, both not having DI hockey, among others would be rejected by the MIAC.  Even Minn-Crookston would probably be rejected, as it considered more a farm extension than a campus.  Minn-Waseca was previously closed, even though it was much more like Crookston than Morris.

I am excited for the Tommies.  They need to leave that B.S. D3 conference behind and move up to the D2 NSIC or even go all the way to D1 and join the Summit.  The hockey program needs to go D1 as well and join the WCHA.  We need more D1 programs in hockey, St. Thomas would be a great addition given their location and resources ($429 million endowment).  They could pull off a full move to D1, and should.

9 minutes ago, Yote 53 said:

I am excited for the Tommies.  They need to leave that B.S. D3 conference behind and move up to the D2 NSIC or even go all the way to D1 and join the Summit.  The hockey program needs to go D1 as well and join the WCHA.  We need more D1 programs in hockey, St. Thomas would be a great addition given their location and resources ($429 million endowment).  They could pull off a full move to D1, and should.

With all sports, wouldn't they have to spend some time in D2 before moving into D1?

I realize I am venturing into SiouxVolley territory here, but I just read some internet speculation that UST might petition he NCAA to transition directly to D1 given the involuntary nature of them getting kicked out of their conference and lack of options available to them, i.e. if they decide to go D1 the NSIC isn't going to be too open to them parking in that conference for a couple years just to pass through.  Could the Summit actually be involved as an intermediary in helping UST go straight to D1 and join the conference?

1 hour ago, Yote 53 said:

I realize I am venturing into SiouxVolley territory here, but I just read some internet speculation that UST might petition he NCAA to transition directly to D1 given the involuntary nature of them getting kicked out of their conference and lack of options available to them, i.e. if they decide to go D1 the NSIC isn't going to be too open to them parking in that conference for a couple years just to pass through.  Could the Summit actually be involved as an intermediary in helping UST go straight to D1 and join the conference?

The NCAA wouldn't approve a DII bypass just for UST.

UST would be eligible for the NSIC just as Augie is leaving.  Coincidence not.

Concordia-SP would love UST in the same conference even more than Augie welcomed USF.

But DII won't be good enough for UST, so there will be jumping to DI in the minimum time.

UST is a DIII school as much as Creighton, Marquette and DePaul are DIII's.  They waited way too long.

Why would the NSIC be okay with being a pass through conference for UST?  What other options do they have for a D2 conference?  Literally zero.  All it would take is for the NSIC to say "no thanks", for the Summit to offer them, and then things could be worked out with the NCAA.

10 minutes ago, Yote 53 said:

Why would the NSIC be okay with being a pass through conference for UST?  What other options do they have for a D2 conference?  Literally zero.  All it would take is for the NSIC to say "no thanks", for the Summit to offer them, and then things could be worked out with the NCAA.

The NSIC would have kick out Crookston or Upper Iowa or Minot St, which they don't wanna do now, to stay even numbered.

7 hours ago, Yote 53 said:

It would be hilarious if UST stole Augastana's spot in the Summit.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Talked to a past coach from Crookston, they are talking about bringing back hockey, maybe starting women's too. They are starting a committee to look at their options next month.

A future WCHA could include UST, Crookston, Minot St, Mary and even Augie.  For many of them, hockey would be their top sport for making revenue.

1 hour ago, SiouxVolley said:

A future WCHA could include UST, Crookston, Minot St, Mary and even Augie.  For many of them, hockey would be their top sport for making revenue.

I am sold, you do see the future! 
He also mentioned there is chatter about both of your sentences less UST. I was just a little ski-dish to mention all that at once, but there it is.
+ it would take a few years.
+ there is plenty of talent around the country for more teams.
+ scheduling would include mostly short trips.