SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

16 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Cali-Stan only sees two conferences worthy of their great and magnanimous presence: 

• B1G
  • Ivy League

You might be able to sway me to add the ACC to the list. 

They will not be associated with Boise, Wyoming, or KState and WVU. 

I do think big 12 jumped the gun with cincy and ucf.... Pay whatever you have to jettison them and sell yourself hard to cal and Stanford 

12 minutes ago, cberkas said:

Gonzaga and UConn for basketball Big 12 only members is the new one right now.

If the BXII is going to keep going: San Diego State. 

SDSU before 'zaga or UConn. It locks up the only other way into SoCal. The Arizona schools would be giddy. 

• Upvote 1

Whats left for the Pac - 12:

FL:  USF, FAU, FIU,

SE:  Georgia St, Tulane, Memphis

NE:  Miliary - Army, Navy, Buffalo, Temple

Texas: SMU, N. Texas, Rice, UT-SA

MW:  UNLV, SDSU, CSU, Boise St, Frenso St., USAF, Hawaii

Not the best choices but some nice schools with reasonable markets.  It will be interesting to see if they stay with just the Texas and MW schools.  And where do they stop with the number of schools: 8, 10, 12, 14 or 16.

5 hours ago, cberkas said:

This sucks, Larry Scott being the most inept commissioner of the PAC-12 and basically killing the conference.

I hope everyone realizes later on, that they should have all stayed in the PAC-12.

I can see USC, UCLA, Washington, and Oregon not doing well in the B1G and part of me hopes they are on the bottom of the B1G. 

On the Dakota 4, if the option to go FBS is there and UND is ready they have to take it. 

Do you think und has the funds to make the move?

54 minutes ago, FSSD said:

Whats left for the Pac - 12:

FL:  USF, FAU, FIU,

SE:  Georgia St, Tulane, Memphis

NE:  Miliary - Army, Navy, Buffalo, Temple

Texas: SMU, N. Texas, Rice, UT-SA

MW:  UNLV, SDSU, CSU, Boise St, Frenso St., USAF, Hawaii

Not the best choices but some nice schools with reasonable markets.  It will be interesting to see if they stay with just the Texas and MW schools.  And where do they stop with the number of schools: 8, 10, 12, 14 or 16.

Who's paying exit fees ($34M for MWC!; $18M for AAC) to go to a conference with $7M per share (MWC) or NO (PAC) media deal. 

I'm going to channel my inner "Sioux Volley" (I do miss you man, RIP). 
Sorry for the "lecture tone". 

Do NOT think like sports fans and throw together a bunch of schools that would be cool together.

Think strategic partnerships.
Think business and dollars. Do you bring what you take, or more. 
And think like a university president (which unfortunately often negates the first two). 

The PAC12 (a week ago) was only worth $20M per share.
That was with UW/UO/UA/ASU/CU/UU/Cal/Stan! 

36 minutes ago, cberkas said:

Larry Beil had nothing good to say about Cal and Stanford. He called them fake athletic programs how they care about academics more. 

He's not wrong. The "academic mullahs" of Cali-Stan would rather athletics be "Ivy" level at most. 

And WasSU and OrSU? Do a hard evaluation of each without the PAC aura and luster. 

WasSU is not even the best DI academic school in a ten-mile radius from its own campus! Yes, Idaho has better academics. 

3 hours ago, BAT67 said:

Do you think und has the funds to make the move?

Und could raise the money but what conference would want Und and what conference would want the Dakota 4?

the MWC outside of Wyoming has large metro areas

NDSU has the best chance to get in a conference just because of their fcs championships and more population with a better airport.

looking at the pac 10, that was a conference where schools traveled by train to get to games back in the day.

The MW saved their league by raising exit fees and negotiating a better media package than the PAC 12.   Will the ACC start to be poached?  Maybe not this year maybe next year.  It's all money.  Disney is trying for a fire sale of ESPN.  

Not sure if this has been reported on this forum before but due to its recent defections, the PAC 12 conference will now rename itself to the Pac-It-In Conference.  

(I read this in a Portland OR newspaper website.................I just couldn't resist.................)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Not unless they have a hell of a lawyer or enough teams vote to dissolve their Grant of Rights. On the surface, those teams seem to be stuck until 2036.

I agree the GOR seems as written nearly unbreakable.

But FSU made noise this week that they were "misled" with questionable information to get them to sign it. Not sure if that could be a fracture line in the contract. And others are claiming an ACC media deal that expires in 2026 or 2027 could be used to break the conference and the GOR. 

All sound wonderful, but until that GOR is broken it's pretty iron clad. 

Don't know what Stanford or Cal will do but WSU and OSU finding a way to merge the PAC and MWC is their ideal step forward. Not sure how plausible, but keep what you can of NCAA credits and autonomy of the PAC while avoiding the exit fees for the MWC. 

Don't see Stanford and Cal wanting to associate with the majority of those schools. Stanford will be fine regardless. Not as sure about Cal. 

Not sure how connected the MWC is but a bigger mess would be the majority backstabbing a few stragglers, voting to eliminate exit fees and shuttling to the PAC. Not sure if that's even a possibility though. 

14 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

He's not wrong. The "academic mullahs" of Cali-Stan would rather athletics be "Ivy" level at most. 

And WasSU and OrSU? Do a hard evaluation of each without the PAC aura and luster. 

WasSU is not even the best DI academic school in a ten-mile radius from its own campus! Yes, Idaho has better academics. 

I believe both WasSU and OrSU would be superior to any MWC school and Idaho is a very good school.  But, I am not sure that it is a peer to either school.

image.thumb.png.c9f9ae3bea52a66c9976c74b53e77fd3.png

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

Don't know what Stanford or Cal will do but WSU and OSU finding a way to merge the PAC and MWC is their ideal step forward. Not sure how plausible, but keep what you can of NCAA credits and autonomy of the PAC while avoiding the exit fees for the MWC. 

Don't see Stanford and Cal wanting to associate with the majority of those schools. Stanford will be fine regardless. Not as sure about Cal. 

Not sure how connected the MWC is but a bigger mess would be the majority backstabbing a few stragglers, voting to eliminate exit fees and shuttling to the PAC. Not sure if that's even a possibility though. 

This is what I was thinking - PAC-12 is looking for 6 or more teams which is a majority within MWC.  Could they do things to make life easier for themselves.

just don't see any/enough "blue blood" schools to make cal or stanford happy

bet they just take the money from the dissolving pac 12 and do indy to figure things out

football they should be fine and oly should be fine bc they can play the old pac 12 ooc and plenty of d1 teams around to fill out their schedule....

no way cal stany is same conf as wyoming, fresno state, boise state...nope