SiouxSports.com Forum

Fire Muss

darell1976

Hey, if he said "off the record" you have no business quoting him here. Off the record means just that, no record of the conversation and you violated that trust. I can see why coaches are sometimes reluctant to talk.

I am going to agree with TRex here, if someone tells you something in confidence, you shouldn't put it up here.

It doesn't indicate panic. I am not sure about 500 offers out there. At this time we make offers to kids who are likely going FBS or kids who we think might go FCS that we have competion for. Dopubt there are over 500 but I couldn't tell you.

Most of these early offers go elsewhere. Many schools do the same. What I think our staff needs to do better right now is communicate with HS coaches and kids. Even potential walk-ons should be treated as if they are very important to our program cuz they are!. This staff risks losing relationships started years ago with coaches, former players and kids when they don't follow up on recommendations from HS coaches or alumni. Doesn't mean all kids recommended can play here but if there isn't clear follow-up and appreciation we lose kids.

Someone posted on the live chat with GF Herald staff a week or so ago that UND had supposedly made upwards of 500 scholarship offers in recent years. If that is the truth, then where is the focus? That may answer your question regarding recruiting philosophy and would certainly indicate a level of panic.

Took under 20 minutes for this to make it on FU's board as a fact.

I would love to hear about the blue chippers that UND has missed on due to the "meanies" on a fan forum. Please elaborate.

That's difficult considering UND doesn't get blue chip recruits! You can think what you want but these forums do reflect on the program and with out a stable situation I wouldn't want my child at UND or any other institution.

That's difficult considering UND doesn't get blue chip recruits! You can think what you want but these forums do reflect on the program and with out a stable situation I wouldn't want my child at UND or any other institution.

There is a fire Hak thread too that will probably start up again sometime in December or January and it doesn't seem to affect recruiting for hockey, seeing as next year's projected class is supposed to be the best college class ever. Blaming a fan forum for missing out on a recruit is pretty weak.

• Upvote 2

...and with out a stable situation I wouldn't want my child at UND...

And Muss provides a "stable situation" within and for the FB program? :huh:

I get messgae boards are "bad" and Muss is "good" in your eyes and you are able to give those opinions here...along with everyone else and their opinions.

There is a fire Hak thread too that will probably start up again sometime in December or January and it doesn't seem to affect recruiting for hockey, seeing as next year's projected class is supposed to be the best college class ever. Blaming a fan forum for missing out on a recruit is pretty weak.

It will be after a loss... Might happen sooner, rather than later...

We will respectfully disagree on this point. These kids have enough social media savvy to parse out the BS. A home performance like last Saturday reflects much more negatively on the program than any fan forum. We are both entitled to our opinions I guess.

Someone brought up the style of play earlier and I think it is worth more discussion.

I really thought the traditional UND style of "run the ball/stop the run/throw with efficiency" would set UND apart in the BSC. Clearly the program (I say program rather than team as it is more than just this team) has gone away from that. They've become so bad at those fundamentals I can't help but think it has become a reflection in recruiting philosophy? Did Muss panic after watching the offenses in the BSC and decide he needed to turn this into an old WAC program?

The direction and philosophy of this program is certainly concerning. One benefit of being able to consistently recruit the Dakotas, Minnesota, and Wisconsin is the tough, physical line of scrimmage players that are scattered throughout the immediate area. NDSU and SDSU have focused on bringing in hard-nose linemen from the area and implementing a down-hill running and stopping the run approach, yet UND has seemed to sway away from this the past couple of seasons. Even Barry Alveraz while HC at Wisconsin implemented the approach to recruit line of scrimmage players from Wisconsin and then reach out for skill players in Florida. UND can continue to use the Chicago area as a skill player depot, but UND needs to get back to getting good OL and DL from around this area. SDSU and NDSU have several skill players from around the country, but they continue to rely on local kids to anchor the line of scrimmage. Nearly all of NDSU's lineman are from either the Dakotas, Minnesota, and Wisconsin. Now, UND has the majority of their linemen from that area as well, but they aren't utilized or simply aren't the same caliber as what NDSU and SDSU have. I think the emphasis on these players has shifted a bit. Or they simply aren't being prepared, coached, and utilized like NDSU and SDSU's linemen are....

No reason you can't have tough, physical OL, emphasize the running game, but still be able to drop back and throw the ball downfield occasionally. UND currently can't run the ball and only can chuck it around for 60 minutes. How's that worked the past 14 games?

I don't think there's any argument this team would be way better if they could run the ball 30 to 50 times a game and only occasionally throw it up to Hardin, Jackson, and Golladay on PA for big plays.

For comparison, the 2012 FCS National Championship team averaged 42.7 rushes/game and 23.8 passes/game

UND in 2012: 31.7 rushes/game & 36 passes/game

UND in 2013 (3 games): 32.6 rushes/game & 36.3 passes/game

It's been shown you can win by relying on the pass, but it's much more common for winning teams to be a running the ball and stopping the run type of team.

UND in 2013 (3 games): 32.6 rushes/game & 36.3 passes/game

Kinda have to throw out those stats for the team through these first 3 games. Can't run the ball when you're done big if you want to come back like against SDSU. Schleusner has shown early in games that he wants to try and run but scraps it either because the line isn't getting it done or we get down and have to catch up in a hurry. Hopefully we can manage a more balanced offense against MSU but I won't hold my breath since even though they don't have their top 2 LBs from last year they have a good dline.

Before I finished reading this thread, I was wondering what kind of impact this would have on a recruit that may read it. I rarely feel that a coaching change will improve a team, but at the college level it all comes down to recruiting. Every coach looks like a genius when he has better players than the guy across the field from him (i.e.Phil Jackson). If our staff has under performed, it has been in the recruiting process. UND has the facilities, a great campus, tons of tradition in multiple sports and has proven in the past that they can compete at a high level. I don't believe Nick Saben knows anymore about football than his counter parts, but I do believe he and many of the top level programs at any level are extremely good recruiters.

Before I finished reading this thread, I was wondering what kind of impact this would have on a recruit that may read it. I rarely feel that a coaching change will improve a team, but at the college level it all comes down to recruiting. Every coach looks like a genius when he has better players than the guy across the field from him (i.e.Phil Jackson). If our staff has under performed, it has been in the recruiting process. UND has the facilities, a great campus, tons of tradition in multiple sports and has proven in the past that they can compete at a high level. I don't believe Nick Saben knows anymore about football than his counter parts, but I do believe he and many of the top level programs at any level are extremely good recruiters.

I respectfully disagree. Nick Saban is a defensive wiz (despite what Johnny Manziel did to him). Another example of a coach who probably knew more than this counterparts would be Chip Kelly on offense. I bet the examples are countless. Game management, adjustments, game planning... all are things which separate the cream from the crop as well. Yeah, recruiting is probably the majority of most programs success, but that's not luck. That's a skill, too.

I respectfully disagree. Nick Saban is a defensive wiz (despite what Johnny Manziel did to him). Another example of a coach who probably knew more than this counterparts would be Chip Kelly on offense. I bet the examples are countless. Game management, adjustments, game planning... all are things which separate the cream from the crop as well. Yeah, recruiting is probably the majority of most programs success, but that's not luck. That's a skill, too.

Not to mention pushing the right buttons on these kids to get the best out of them and enforcing discipline on about a hundred 18 to 23 year olds. Areas that this regime has not been doing a good job in.

• Upvote 1